Fury and new trainer an 'excellent match' ahead of Wilder rematch

By Sports Desk December 23, 2019

Tyson Fury's switch to work with SugarHill Steward will see a change in his approach for the heavyweight rematch with Deontay Wilder, according to Andy Lee.

Ben Davison was in Fury's corner for the first meeting with WBC champion Wilder, back in December 2018. The challenger was knocked down twice in a contest that finished as a contentious split-decision draw.

The Briton has boxed just twice since, beating Tom Schwarz in a hurry in June before labouring to a points triumph over Otto Wallin three months later, despite suffering a nasty cut above his right eye.

Davison was still his trainer for both fights but Fury has now opted to work with Steward, who is the nephew of the Hall of Fame trainer Emmanuel, instead.

Former middleweight world champion Lee will also form part of the team - and he expects a more ruthless mindset for the second meeting with Wilder, which is set to take place in February 2020.

"I think it's an excellent match. SugarHill emphasises a lot on balance and being strong with the jab," Lee said during an appearance on the 5 Live Boxing Podcast.

"I think Tyson, for the Wilder fight, will have to do what he does - feint, move, be tricky, unpredictable - but also have a little more authority in his punches.

"He hurt Wilder several times first time around. With SugarHill in the corner, if he has him hurt again, I think you will see Tyson going for the finish."

Lee admitted it was a "shame" how the working relationship between Fury and Davison had come to an end, though the latter did write on social media that the pair will remain friends.

"I haven't seen anything from either on why they split up," Lee said. "I don't know; it seems a bit knee-jerk.

"My role is basically to be another set of eyes, to give advice where I can, if I see something I think can be improved or worked on.

"You can't serve too many masters in boxing. There can't be dissenting voices. It could always be difficult having two main coaches in a camp. So I guess that was Ben's decision.

"It's a shame it's gone this way as Tyson and Ben have been one of the great stories of the past few years with Tyson coming back from the abyss."

Related items

  • McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao McGregor claims his next fight is against Pacquiao

    Conor McGregor claimed he was set to fight Manny Pacquiao in the Middle East in his next outing.

    McGregor, a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion, sensationally retired in June, but it was hinted earlier this month that the Irishman would return next year.

    After a long Twitter rant during which he vented his frustration at a lack of action this year – his only fight has been a win over Donald Cerrone in January – McGregor said he was set for a return to boxing.

    McGregor lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in August 2017 and is now set to meet 41-year-old Filipino Pacquiao.

    "I'm boxing Manny Pacquiao next in the Middle East," he wrote.

    "It will be a true honour to have faced two of the greatest boxers of the modern era, afraid of a fight."

    Pacquiao (62-7-2) fought twice last year, winning the WBA (Super) welterweight title by beating Keith Thurman in July 2019.

  • Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21 Anthony Joshua to appear in FIFA 21

    Anthony Joshua has made the move from boxing to football, at least in the virtual world, after it was confirmed he will appear in FIFA 21.

    Joshua will be a playable character in the video game's "Volta" mode – in which players are able to test their skills in a small-sided game with five-a-side rules.

    Olympic gold medallist and world heavyweight champion Joshua is being introduced as a "Groundbreaker", alongside Kaka, Eric Cantona, Thierry Henry, Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold, Atletico Madrid youngster Joao Felix and FIFA 21 cover star Kylian Mbappe.

    Diplo, a three-time Grammy Award-winning DJ and producer, also features.

    Players will be able to pit their wits against the Groundbreakers, while also being able to recruit them into their squads.

  • Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31 Usyk v Chisora rearranged for October 31

    The heavyweight fight between Oleksandr Usyk and Dereck Chisora has been rearranged for October 31.

    The pair were initially set to meet on May 23, but the coronavirus pandemic saw the bout at The O2 Arena in London postponed.

    Former undisputed cruiserweight world champion Usyk (17-0) has been made to wait for his second heavyweight test, having stopped unheralded American Chazz Witherspoon on his debut last October.

    The Chisora fight will go ahead just over a year on from that contest, however, after an agreement was announced on Wednesday.

    "I have really missed boxing," Usyk said. "I am working hard in my training camp to show a spectacular performance on October 31.

    "I expect a real test in Dereck - he is strong, tough and resilient. He is a really big guy and he hits hard.

    "As a cruiserweight, I reached the highest heights as undisputed champion and now I am following the same path as a heavyweight.

    "I need to test myself against world-class heavyweights on my new road to undisputed and Dereck stands in front of me.

    "Many people say that Dereck is a monster, but deep down he is a kind man. I don't expect to see that good side of him.

    "I know that he wants to break me, but I am water, wind and fire all together. Dereck Chisora, I am coming for you."

    Chisora (32-9) added: "Usyk, I've been ready for you all year.

    "It's my home turf and, after such a tough year for everyone, I'm going to give the British public the Halloween party they deserve and finally get revenge for my boy Tony Bellew."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.