Holmes scores technical knockout win over Pompey at Skateland

By December 14, 2019

Jamaican Richard Holmes scored a technical knockout victory over Guyanese Winston Pompey in the main event of the second staging of the Wray and Nephew Rum Punch boxing card at Skateland, Half-Way Tree on Friday night.

Referee Owen Nelson waved off the six-round contest at the 47-second mark of the second round.

In the first round, Holmes attacked Pompey aggressively while breaching his defence a few times to land shots mainly to the head. A straight right-hand shot sent Pompey crashing to the canvas for the standing eight-count.

Holmes went on the prowl again at the sound of the bell for the second round and eventually backed Pompey into one of the neutral corners and unveiled a barrage of shots  before Nelson waved off the contest.

“I am coming off two defeats and this win puts me back on track for a fight in February," said the 32-year-old Holmes.

“We worked in the gym on outside, inside body shots. The execution was very good. Tonight, with my stance, the perfection of the punch was more effective than ever. The things that I have been working on, I used them whenever time I got the chance,” he further added.

Holmes' professional record now stands at 19 wins and 11 defeats.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Saudi Arabia an option for Joshua bout against Fury or Wilder – Hearn Saudi Arabia an option for Joshua bout against Fury or Wilder – Hearn

    Eddie Hearn believes the money offered to host a fight in Saudi Arabia between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder will be too good to turn down.

    Joshua regained his WBA, IBF and WBO belts from Andy Ruiz Jr in December in a heavyweight rematch contested in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.

    While Joshua's next fight is set to be against Kubrat Pulev, the Briton's promoter Hearn has talked up the possibility of a meeting with the victor of Fury-Wilder II, which takes place in Las Vegas on February 22, later in 2020.

    On Wednesday, Fury's promoter Frank Warren dismissed Joshua's claims that talks between his camp and Wilder's had already taken place, though he claimed a fight between his client and Joshua should be held towards the end of the year.

    Now, Hearn has suggested Saudi Arabia would again prove to be a viable venue for such a fight, claiming the money on offer would ensure a bout would happen.

    "You have new players in town that are willing to spend money never seen before in this sport. It's there, we've had the conversations," Hearn told Sky Sports.

    "We did it once, in December. I know the money that they're willing to put in for this fight at the back end of the year and it's why I'm so confident of making it, because there's just too much money.

    "There comes a time in the sport where money talks too much and, when it does, there's no going back. Even if the other guys didn't want it, they can't ignore the numbers.

    "Everybody's lucky that the numbers we were talking about a year ago, they've doubled, trebled. Don't agree? You've spun it up on that roulette wheel, now take your chips and leave."

    Hearn also suggested Joshua – who could also face Oleksandr Usyk – would be willing to scrap his planned fight with Pulev should the Bulgarian not agree to a venue in Britain.

    "AJ's going to call the shots here and he may end up having to let the Pulev fight go if he won't fight in the places we'd like him to fight and that is in the UK," Hearn said.

    "We're looking at dates around the end of May, beginning of June for the Pulev fight. Everywhere's in play – Emirates Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the London Stadium.

    "We've also reached out to Twickenham as well and the Millennium Stadium have got some dates for us. In an ideal world, AJ's next fight will be against Pulev in London."

  • No Wilder-Joshua talks, insists Fury's promoter Warren No Wilder-Joshua talks, insists Fury's promoter Warren

    Tyson Fury's promoter Frank Warren insisted there is no truth in Anthony Joshua's claims he has held talks with Deontay Wilder over a heavyweight fight.

    Joshua regained the WBA, IBF and WBO belts from Andy Ruiz Jr in December, while Fury is set to meet WBC champion Wilder in a rematch on February 22.

    Brit Joshua has recently suggested his camp has held discussions with Wilder's management over a potential meeting this year, which would come instead of a possible third bout between the American and Fury.

    Warren, though, is adamant no talks have been held.

    "I spoke to [Wilder's co-manager] Shelly Finkel [on Tuesday] and he denied it," Warren told ESPN.

    "There's a rematch clause in the contract and the loser has the right to invoke that not long after the fight.

    "That will determine what happens, not what [promoter] Eddie Hearn or Joshua says.

    "It seems every time they mention these discussions they never think about the possibility of Tyson winning the fight with Wilder."

    Joshua is reportedly set to face Kubrat Pulev, who is the IBF mandatory challenger, while a bout between the Briton and Oleksandr Usyk has been also been mooted.

    But Warren is hopeful of bringing Joshua and Fury together for an-all British encounter, though he cited the "ego" of Hearn as a potential stumbling block.

    "I would like to see Tyson in with Joshua straight away after February 22," Warren said.

    "I don't think it's a difficult negotiation – we have just seen that with two networks in the United States agreeing to work with each other for Wilder-Fury II. The only thing that stops it is all of the ego with Eddie Hearn.

    "I don't see why it should be a problem at all. It's a fight for the good of the sport that everyone wants to see. As long as Tyson wins his next fight, and Joshua wins his mandatory fight next, it can happen.

    "It seems like everyone is looking for reasons why it shouldn't happen. Nearly every big fight we have got over the line. 

    "Fury and Joshua are at their best, nothing is stopping it from happening except Joshua's people being afraid of their cash cow being beaten."

  • White puts McGregor in same bracket as Muhammad Ali and talks up Khabib rematch White puts McGregor in same bracket as Muhammad Ali and talks up Khabib rematch

    UFC president Dana White has compared Conor McGregor to boxing greats Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson and Sugar Ray Leonard after the Irishman made his return to the Octagon.

    McGregor needed just 40 seconds to defeat Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone in Las Vegas on Saturday, as the 31-year-old marked his comeback after 15 months away from the Octagon in style.

    And White believes McGregor has now reached the same level as stardom as icons such as Ali, Tyson and Leonard.

    "[Conor] is such a huge superstar. I put him up there with Tyson, Leonard," White told a media conference.

    "All of them," he added when asked if McGregor could be compared to Ali, considered to be the greatest fighter in boxing history.

    "He's got the biggest pay-per-view in pay-per-view history. How many of the top 10 does he have? I don't even know. He's one of the biggest stars out there.

    "A lot of the times coming in his career he's been doubted for his talent and he proves everybody wrong every time."

    White was also asked how much McGregor was worth to UFC, with a figure of $2billion suggested by a reporter.

    "Two billion dollars? Sounds like a good number, I'll take that," White joked. "I don't know what he's worth to the company but it's big.

    "You couldn't go anywhere without seeing this fight and knowing that this fight was on. All the people came out and watched the fight.

    "This is one of those fights that people who normally don't buy [do] buy, right? So, the number is always massive.

    "Then Conor comes out and does what he did tonight. You can't put a number on that. It's massive and it's global. The whole world was watching tonight."

    McGregor's previous fight came in October 2018, when he was defeated by Khabib Nurmagomedov.

    In his own post-fight news conference, McGregor outlined his intention to go up against the Russian once more, and White is eager to make a rematch happen.

    "We're at a place right now where Conor was saying that, going into the Khabib fight, he had lots of personal stuff," said White.

    "Some stuff [was] self-inflicted. He had injuries. He had all these things going on. He has been obsessed with getting that rematch because he knows that he wasn't 100 per cent right.

    "We're looking at like Ali-Foreman, Ali-Frazier. This is a massive fight with global appeal. It's the fight you make, it's the fight that makes sense. It's for the 155-pound title.

    "It's huge for Khabib’s legacy, too. If he beat McGregor, then he beats Tony Ferguson, then he beats McGregor again, I mean, this is how this kid, when he retires, he's 30-something and, oh, he's beaten all of the best."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.