It's hard being champion - Joshua knows he will always need to prove himself

By Sports Desk December 09, 2019

Anthony Joshua believes he will always have to prove himself in the heavyweight division, stating it is tough to live life as a champion.

Joshua regained the IBF, WBA and WBO heavyweight titles on Saturday, as he recorded a comprehensive points victory over Andy Ruiz Jr in a rematch in Saudi Arabia.

Ruiz stunned Joshua in his initial victory in New York in June, as the Briton fell to the only defeat of his professional career, and the 30-year-old acknowledged he had been drained by the pressure of retaining his title.

"The belts can be your best friend or your worst enemy," Joshua, who is now expected to face one of his mandatory challengers Kubrat Pulev or Oleksandr Usyk, told reporters.

"It just depends on you as a person. Even at the weigh-in when I gave him the belts [before the first fight], I was just tired of them. It’s hard being champion. Trust me, it's not all fun.

"I just remember hearing Mike Tyson telling people 'you couldn't walk in my shoes.' It’s not all what it seems, it's a life of discipline, dedication and f*****g headaches.

"I'm always going to have to prove myself, aren't I? That’s the name of the game. Over the next three to six months, I'm going to have to do it again.

"It's no good winning this time and losing next time, saying, 'Look, I won six months ago, let’s look at that.' Even though I've proved it to myself, I'm going to have to prove it to you guys once again. I can't get too comfortable.

"But I knew the belts were coming home. They spent some time with me and they spent some time in Andy's house, and they were crying to come back to daddy."

Joshua has reportedly earned over £50million from taking the rematch with Ruiz to Saudi Arabia, though he is hoping to return to Britain for his next fight.

"I don't know, man. London's calling," Joshua said. "We've been away for the whole year, in New York and now here. But it's nice to have a breather. It’s nice to have a bit of controversy, a bit of doubt.

"I've been out here for two weeks. I was out for five weeks before [in New York], got too comfortable. Now it's back home to Finchley, back home to Sheffield, back to the grind. Being back on home soil will make a big difference."

Related items

  • Zion needs to 'get in shape' to reach potential, warns Karl Malone Zion needs to 'get in shape' to reach potential, warns Karl Malone

    Zion Williamson needs to "get in shape" if he is to fulfil his potential in the NBA, according to Hall of Famer Karl Malone.

    New Orleans selected Williamson with the first overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft but a meniscus tear in preseason and a season shortened by the coronavirus pandemic meant he played just 24 games in his rookie campaign.

    The Duke product is up to 36 games – still less than half the standard season – but former power forward Malone, a two-time MVP who had All-NBA First Team honours on 11 occasions, thinks he need to improve his physique if he is to maximise his abilities.

    Williamson is listed at six foot, seven inches and 284 pounds, with Malone pointing to Glen 'Big Baby' Davis as an example of someone who did not live up to their billing due to their size – Davis was 6ft 9in and played at 289 pounds.

    "I love Zion Williamson. Zion needs to get into shape. If he doesn't get in shape, we might not ever know his full potential," Malone said on The Players' Tribune's Knuckleheads podcast.

    "There's a young man that played at LSU, 'Big Baby' Davis. Big Baby made a comment about eight months ago, he did an ESPN show … he came on that show and he said, 'Look guys, I'm about to get into trouble now with what I'm about to say. I know everybody loves Zion and I love him too. But Zion has the same body type that I had.'

    "He was talking about himself. And he said if he doesn't get into shape, we'll never know his full potential. And he did get heat from that."

    Williamson had 32 points with five rebounds and three assists as the Pelicans suffered a 118-102 defeat to the Utah Jazz on Tuesday, New Orleans losing for the sixth time in seven games to slip to 5-8 for the season.

    This season the 20-year-old is averaging 23.4 points and 8.0 rebounds in 32.6 minutes per game. That ranks him 44th in minutes per game, with his usage percentage of 29.1 enough for 39th in the league.

    However, he leads in the league in contested three-points shots per game at 5.9.

    Malone added: "I'm still waiting on him to play the whole damn season… and he needs to be averaging 40 minutes per game. Look here, you're a 21, 22-year-old kid. Your a** shouldn't get tired."

  • Mets fire GM Porter over claims of unsolicited and explicit texts Mets fire GM Porter over claims of unsolicited and explicit texts

    The New York Mets fired general manager Jared Porter on Tuesday, a day after it was reported he sent unsolicited text messages and lewd images to a female reporter in 2016.

    The Mets hired the 41-year-old Porter only last month, but new team owner Steven Cohen announced his firing on Twitter.

    Cohen wrote: "We have terminated Jared Porter this morning. In my initial press conference I spoke about the importance of integrity and I meant it. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior."

    In response to a question about the firing of Porter, Cohen added: "No action would of set a poor example to the culture I'm trying to build."

    Shortly after Cohen’s tweet, the Mets issued a statement from team president Sandy Alderson.

    It read: "The New York Mets have terminated general manager Jared Porter, effective immediately. Jared's actions, as reflected by events disclosed last night, failed to meet the Mets' standards for professionalism and personal conduct."

    Porter was the Chicago Cubs' director of professional scouting in 2016 when ESPN said he began sending unsolicited and inappropriate text messages and images to the reporter after meeting her in June of that year.

    He has yet to make a public comment on ESPN's allegations.

    Porter spent the next four seasons with the Arizona Diamondbacks as their senior vice president and assistant general manager.

  • Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone

    Sergey Kovalev's bout against Bektemir Melikuziev has been cancelled after the former three-time light-heavyweight world champion failed a drugs test.

    Kovalev returned a positive for synthetic testosterone via a test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    The scheduled fight card at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indo, California has been pulled by Golden Boy Promotions as a result.

    A statement released by Golden Boy read: "The Kovalev vs Melikuziev boxing event scheduled for January 30 has been cancelled following a positive test for a banned substance (synthetic testosterone) on behalf of Sergey Kovalev through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    "Upon learning of Kovalev's adverse finding, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) determined that they must cancel the event."

    Kovalev has not fought since losing his WBO light-heavyweight title in an 11th-round knockout defeat to Canelo Alvarez in November 2019, a setback that dropped the 37-year-old's professional record to 34 victories (29 knockouts), four defeats and a solitary draw.

    Counting from his first career loss, when Andre Ward edged a close points verdict against Kovalev in 2016, the Russian has won four and lost four of his past eight fights, with the three subsequent losses all coming by stoppage.

    He was scheduled to box former world title challenger Sullivan Barrera on April 25 last year but the coronavirus pandemic put paid to that, as it did the original plans for the meeting against Uzbekistan's 2016 Olympic bronze medallist Melikuziev (6-0, 5 KOs) to take place in Moscow.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.