I took my 'L' and bounced back - Joshua remains humble after victory in Ruiz Jr rematch

By Sports Desk December 07, 2019

Anthony Joshua wanted to show the "sweet science" of boxing after putting in a controlled performance to outpoint Andy Ruiz Jr and become a two-time champion of the world.

The British heavyweight regained the WBA, WBO and IBF titles that were sensationally snatched from his grasp by the same opponent earlier this year, winning their rematch by unanimous decision on Saturday.

Ruiz dropped his rival four times to force a seventh-round stoppage in New York back in June, yet never threatened to pull off a repeat result at the Diriyah Arena in Saudi Arabia.

Instead, Joshua controlled proceedings throughout, boxing behind his jab as - for the most part - he stayed safely out of range. Two of the judges at ringside scored the contest 118-110 in the challenger's favour, with the other official's card recording a 119-109 verdict.

In his post-fight interview, Joshua revealed he fought in such a manner out of respect for Ruiz - and also aimed a shot at those who had suggested he should retire after losing his perfect professional record six months ago.

"A man like me makes no excuses, this is about boxing, I'm used to knocking guys out. I got caught last time, no excuses, I gave him the credit," the 30-year-old told Sky Sports Box Office.

"I respect Andy and his trainer [Manny Robles] so much, I wanted to show the sweet science of this lovely sport. Stay hungry, stay humble - I'm humble in defeat and will stay humble in victory.

"It is all about preparation. One day, when I release a book, I will talk through my career. Careers are all about experience; there is no losing and no winning, it is about creating memories in this great game we all love.

"I took my 'L' and bounced back. Everyone can do it – life is a rollercoaster. What do you want me to do? Give up? I hear certain people saying I should retire. Come on, man. Please, respect us, this is what we love to do."

Promoter Eddie Hearn was delighted to see Joshua prove his critics wrong after the "humiliation" he suffered on his American debut. 

"That is beautiful. They wrote him off – they said he was all hype," Hearn said. "He had to come back from humiliation in Madison Square Garden. He is a two-time heavyweight champion of the world, give him the respect [because] he is a great individual."

Related items

  • Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone Kovalev v Melikuziev off after former champ tests positive for testosterone

    Sergey Kovalev's bout against Bektemir Melikuziev has been cancelled after the former three-time light-heavyweight world champion failed a drugs test.

    Kovalev returned a positive for synthetic testosterone via a test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    The scheduled fight card at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indo, California has been pulled by Golden Boy Promotions as a result.

    A statement released by Golden Boy read: "The Kovalev vs Melikuziev boxing event scheduled for January 30 has been cancelled following a positive test for a banned substance (synthetic testosterone) on behalf of Sergey Kovalev through the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

    "Upon learning of Kovalev's adverse finding, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) determined that they must cancel the event."

    Kovalev has not fought since losing his WBO light-heavyweight title in an 11th-round knockout defeat to Canelo Alvarez in November 2019, a setback that dropped the 37-year-old's professional record to 34 victories (29 knockouts), four defeats and a solitary draw.

    Counting from his first career loss, when Andre Ward edged a close points verdict against Kovalev in 2016, the Russian has won four and lost four of his past eight fights, with the three subsequent losses all coming by stoppage.

    He was scheduled to box former world title challenger Sullivan Barrera on April 25 last year but the coronavirus pandemic put paid to that, as it did the original plans for the meeting against Uzbekistan's 2016 Olympic bronze medallist Melikuziev (6-0, 5 KOs) to take place in Moscow.

  • Whyte-Povetkin rematch confirmed for March 6 Whyte-Povetkin rematch confirmed for March 6

    The heavyweight rematch between Alexander Povetkin and Dillian Whyte has been officially confirmed for March 6.

    Povetkin knocked out Whyte in the fifth round of their WBC interim title bout last August and the pair were originally set to meet again in late November at Wembley Arena.

    However, the fight was postponed after the Russian was admitted to hospital with COVID-19.

    Promoters Matchroom Boxing has announced a new date has now been set, with the rematch now scheduled for around seven weeks' time.

    The card will take place behind closed doors at a venue that has yet to be confirmed.

    After being laid low by coronavirus last year, Povetkin recently stepped up his training regime as he looks to retain the WBC interim heavyweight title with another victory over Whyte.

    World of Boxing Promotions Company, who represent the 41-year-old, posted on Twitter on Friday: "Alexander has fully recovered and started his training camp on January 12. 

    "He is progressing well in the first stage of his preparation. We hope the second fight will live up to everyone's expectations and that Povetkin will deliver another spectacular finish."

    The winner of the rematch will be in line to face either Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua later in 2021 for the heavyweight world title.

    Meanwhile, it was also confirmed on Friday that Josh Warrington, who has not been in action since October 2019, will defend his IBF featherweight belt against Mauricio Lara on February 13.

  • Joshua sees 'the end' in sight ahead of Fury fights as he teases retirement plans Joshua sees 'the end' in sight ahead of Fury fights as he teases retirement plans

    Anthony Joshua has vowed he will not become an old man in the boxing ring, stating he has "five years left" in his career.

    Britain's WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight world champion is set for a unification fight with WBC belt holder Tyson Fury this year.

    Details have yet to be disclosed of exactly where and when that two-fight series will happen, but it is poised to be a major moment in the career of both men, given the stakes involved.

    Joshua is at that stage of his career where he is already a global star but where such fights matter in defining his legacy.

    That is what he will look to achieve before hanging up his gloves, with the 31-year-old having shaken off the disappointment of a first professional defeat in 2019, when he lost to Andy Ruiz Jr.

    Speaking to Sky Sports News, Joshua said: "This isn't the start of my career. I'm coming towards the end of my career.

    "I'm not someone who lives in the moment and thinks that everything is just like for now. I'm always planning ahead so I'm coming towards the end of my career.

    "Five years left and that's basically an Olympic cycle. I've got an Olympic cycle and a little bit more left, so when you see the next Olympics happen is when I'll be coming to the end of my career and the next generation will be coming through."

    Joshua beat Kubrat Pulev in December to keep a grip on his belts, allowing plans for the Fury bout to remain on track and progressing to a 24-1 career win-loss record.

    A two-fight deal with Fury, who dismissed Joshua as a "chump" on social media on Thursday, was said to have been verbally agreed in the weeks after the Pulev fight.

    Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said the first instalment could happen in the Middle East unless stadiums are again allowed to be filled to capacity in the United Kingdom, currently a distant prospect amid the coronavirus pandemic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.