Ferrari and O'Shaughnessy to represent St Lucia at Carib Boxing Championships

By December 04, 2019
Nathan Ferrari Nathan Ferrari

Nathan Ferrari and Dudley O'Shaughnessy will comprise a two-member boxing team from St Lucia set to contest the 2019 Caribbean Boxing Championships, which begins on Monday, December 9, in Trinidad and Tobago.

Staged under the auspices of the American Boxing Federation and the Caribbean Boxing Steering Committee, the competition will attract nearly 200 boxers from 17 countries. Participants have been confirmed from Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic, who are first-timers. Cuba has is also being invited for the first time.

Ferrari is a former Caribbean school-boy champion who has been training in the Twin-Island Republic for the past two months. He will compete in the 64kg class. Meanwhile, O'Shaugnessy, who is based in England, will go in the 69kg category.

The weigh-in for the championships was on Wednesday with the technical meeting and draw set for Wednesday night.

Fights will be hosted at the National Cycling Velodrome in Couva.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Eddie Hearn succeeds father Barry as Matchroom Sport chairman Eddie Hearn succeeds father Barry as Matchroom Sport chairman

    Eddie Hearn will succeed his father Barry Hearn as the chairman of Matchroom Sport.

    Hearn Sr founded Matchroom in 1982, with the company best known for its involvement in elite boxing, darts and snooker.

    Eddie, who was already the head of Matchroom Boxing, will take on a host of new roles in the group, including becoming the chairman of the boxing division and of the PDC.

    Steve Dawson will replace Barry as the chairman of World Snooker following the 2021 World Snooker Championship.

    Hearn Sr, who will become president of the group in an advisory role, said: "It has been a huge honour to have worked with some of the greatest sports people on the planet across the last 40 years and enjoyed so many wonderful experiences across our spectrum of events in that time."

    His son added: "We have seen astounding growth in the last 10 years but we have only just begun.

    "I look forward to continuously evolving and continuing the global growth of this astonishing family business."

    Eddie Hearn is in the process of negotiating a heavyweight unification bout between British rivals Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury.

  • Hero CPL joins forces with Caribbean Cricket Podcast Hero CPL joins forces with Caribbean Cricket Podcast

    The Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) has joined forces with the Caribbean Cricket Podcast to bring even more engaging and entertaining content to their ever-growing social media following.

  • Joshua eyes Wembley for Tyson Fury heavyweight showdown Joshua eyes Wembley for Tyson Fury heavyweight showdown

    Anthony Joshua has declared Wembley would be an "ideal" venue for the first of his two fights against fellow heavyweight world champion Tyson Fury.

    Promoter Eddie Hearn this week said the location of the upcoming fight had been agreed by both fighters, but he did not disclose where it would take place.

    A deal is in place for the pair to fight twice before the end of the year, with Fury invited to sign off the arrangements after talks with Hearn in Las Vegas.

    Joshua holds the IBF, WBA and WBO titles, while the unbeaten Fury is the WBC champion after dethroning Deontay Wilder last year.

    Saudi Arabia has been mooted as a potential location for the fight and may still stage the first clash, even if Joshua would love to tackle Fury in London. He has previously fought both at Wembley Stadium and in the adjacent SSE Arena.

    "I've signed my side of the deal," Joshua told ITV's Jonathan Ross show.

    "We've sent him a good offer, one I'm sure he won't refuse. He wants the fight, no doubt about it, so do I and more than me and him, the whole public want it. I put my crystal ball out there and I say it's going to happen this year 100 per cent."

    Joshua added, according to several UK newspapers: "I'm pretty sure it'll be this year. End of July, early August.

    "Where? That's what's the delay, because of this pandemic. We want to have people coming to the venue. It's just finding the right location. For me, Wembley would be ideal."

    Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said last week that the English capital is ready to host the lucrative fight, despite the restrictions in the country amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

    A number of pilot events are taking place with spectators, in the hope crowds can return to normal capacity levels in the near future.

    Snooker's 17-day World Championship began in Sheffield on Saturday with indoor crowds limited initially to one-third capacity, but there are plans for a full house come the final in May. Hearn's father, Barry Hearn, is the chairman of World Snooker.

    Fury's most recent three bouts have all been staged in Las Vegas while Joshua reclaimed his titles from Andy Ruiz Jr in a rematch held in Saudi Arabia in December 2019.

    The 2012 Olympic gold medal winner fought once in 2020, with Joshua beating Kubrat Pulev at Wembley Arena in front of a restricted number of fans.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.