Jacobs to face Chavez Jr in super-middleweight showdown

By Sports Desk November 08, 2019

Daniel Jacobs is moving up to super-middleweight to take on Julio Cesar Chavez Jr on December 20.

Jacobs will be back in action before the end of the year following his defeat to Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez in a middleweight unification bout in May.

After coming out on the wrong side of a points decision to relinquish his IBF title in Las Vegas, the 'Miracle Man' has decided to continue his career at 168 pounds as he aims to become a two-weight world champion.

His first fight in the new division will be against the experienced Chavez Jr, another former title holder at middleweight who also has a points defeat to Alvarez on his 56-fight record.

"I am thrilled to be making my debut at super-middleweight on December 20 against Julio Cesar Chavez," said Jacobs in a press release from promoters Matchroom.

"I've achieved a dream of becoming a world champion at middleweight and now I am seeking to secure my legacy by becoming a two-weight world champion.

"There are some great fighters and champions at 168 pounds and I believe that I will be a different beast up at super-middleweight.

"Facing Julio is a great test for my first fight, he's a former middleweight champion like me and he has the same goal as I do - Julio is always in great fights and I am sure that our styles will gel to be a thriller for the fans, and I plan to announce my arrival at 168 pounds in style."

Mexican Chavez Jr - son of the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez - has fought just once since losing to Canelo in 2017, stopping Evert Bravo inside a round on August 10.

"Going against Daniel Jacobs is the perfect fight for me because there is so much on the line," said Chavez Jr. "A victory gets me one step closer to a world championship and I’m not going to let anyone stand in my way.

"I know that Danny Jacobs is a former world champion and is a strong fighter with very good boxing skills. Those are the kind of boxers that bring out the best in me."

The bout will take place at Talking Stick Resort Arena in Phoenix.

Related items

  • Love Island star Tommy Fury calls out KSI after Logan Paul bout Love Island star Tommy Fury calls out KSI after Logan Paul bout

    Tommy Fury, the younger brother of former unified world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury and star of reality TV show Love Island, has challenged YouTuber KSI to a fight.

    KSI beat fellow YouTube sensation Logan Paul in a split decision in a highly publicised six-round bout at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on Saturday.

    Fury, meanwhile, has put romance to one side to return to the ring in December after featuring on ITV's Love Island programme earlier in 2019.

    And Fury says there would be no love lost should KSI - whose real name is Olajide Olatunji - take up his challenge of a "battle of Britain."

    "I wasn't aware KSI wanted to keep fighting," Fury told iFL TV. "He said after the fight he wants to keep fighting, keep boxing.

    "I'm from Love Island on TV, he's from YouTube. We're both known and have got big fanbases in the UK. He's in London, I'm in Manchester. A battle of Britain would be interesting.

    "I wouldn't be calling his name but he says he wants to keep fighting, sees himself as a fighting man. The offer is there, if he wants to take it up with me, he knows how to use the phone.

    "A lot of people would love to see it. People would like to see him come up against a professional boxer who's been doing it for quite a while now. I might not have had many professional fights but I've been doing the training.

    "I think people would tune in to see how he could take on a real boxer, see how he fares against that. It's not like he's taking on a world champion. He knows where I'm at."

    Fury also gave Deontay Wilder "no chance" of overcoming his brother Tyson should a heavyweight rematch between the two go ahead as expected on February 22.

    "I'm sure we'll see Tyson and Wilder in the ring, February 22," Fury said. 

    "Tyson will beat him easy this time. When you strip it down you've got to look at it. When Tyson fought Wilder he came off two sparring matches, just getting out there and used to the crowd. Then he went and fought Wilder.

    "February 22 he's going to be a changed man. He's already had the fights, he's been training more and if Wilder couldn't beat him then, he's got no chance now."

  • Heavyweight star Fury turns back on boxing in Britain Heavyweight star Fury turns back on boxing in Britain

    Tyson Fury claims he will never box in the UK again.

    The former unified world heavyweight champion is pencilled in to face WBC king Deontay Wilder next February in a rematch of their enthralling December 2018 draw, providing Wilder comes through his return against Cuban veteran Luis Ortiz later this month.

    Fury was floored twice, dramatically climbing off the canvas following a heavy knockdown in the final round, although the 31-year-old outboxed Wilder for large parts of the contest at Los Angeles' Staples Center.

    A promotional deal with US-based promoter Top Rank has seen Fury beat Tom Schwarz and Otto Wallin this year, while last month he made his wrestling debut in the WWE's Crown Jewel event in Saudi Arabia.

    Fury has also teased a willingness to try mixed martial arts in the UFC and – irrespective of whether he graces the ring or the octagon next – he told The Sunday Times feeling unappreciated in his homeland means that chapter of the self-styled Gypsy King's career is over.

    "They had their chance. They didn't treat me well," he said.

    "Over here, I get [the United States] treated like a superstar."

    Fury's autobiography "Behind the Mask" comes out next week, while UK television channel ITV will air a four-part documentary entitled "Meet the Furys".

    Nevertheless, he insists he has no interest in fame and labels such endeavours as simply being "part of the job".

    It's really not what I'm after. It's strictly business," he added.

    "[I made "Meet the Furys"] so people can see the real Tyson Fury.

    "I hate fame, When I got to a big city it's just a nightmare. Torture.

    "Honestly, the only bit I enjoy is going to the gym. That's what makes me happy. Everything else is just what I've got to do."

  • Logan Paul: It doesn't feel like I lost to KSI Logan Paul: It doesn't feel like I lost to KSI

    Logan Paul does not feel like he lost his hotly anticipated rematch with fellow YouTuber KSI, despite going down on a split decision.

    The two social media personalities took to the ring in front of a star-studded crowd at Los Angeles' Staples Centre on Saturday.

    KSI prevailed, with two judges scoring the bout 57-54 and 56-55 in his favour and the other giving Paul a 56-55 victory.

    In a frantic six-round fight lacking in quality, KSI was sent to the canvas in the fourth, only for Paul to be deducted two points for punching the Brit – real name Olajide Olatunji – while he was on the ground.

    Paul, who revealed he had been feeling ill all day prior to the fight, confirmed he would contest the decision, stating he did not feel as if he had been beaten.

    "For some reason, it doesn't feel like I lost. It just doesn't feel like that. Maybe it hasn't registered yet. I've taken true Ls [losses] before and this doesn't feel like that," the 24-year-old told BBC Sport.

    "We're going to contest it [the points deduction], I don't know how likely it is that the commission reverts on a decision that one of their refs made.

    "My gut tells me [they won't] but if I'm going to go down then I'm going to go down f****** fighting, with a submission form which says you shouldn't have deducted two points.

    "My gameplan went out of the window, that was the worst I've performed compared to any sparring session.

    "I woke up sick, I've been feeling sick all day. I tried to ignore that but it took probably 30 to 50 per cent out of me. I don't know if I was trying to conserve energy."

    When it was put to the American that the extensive media duties in the build-up to the fight did not help his cause, Paul replied: "That's the trade-off, we're media guys, so we'll do more media, draw more eyeballs and the fight will be f****** sloppy and apparently dirty."

    Paul does not believe KSI will be willing to have a second rematch – with the duo having drawn their initial bout in Manchester in 2018.

    "I don't think he's going to give me a third fight. If I were him, he came out on top, unless there's a huge bag [of money] I don't think he's going to do that," Paul added.

    "I think it's dangerous for him, he knows what happened tonight and I don't think he wants more.

    "I will beat KSI nine out of 10 times. He snagged a win tonight, I don't know what it's going to mean for me boxing-wise, but I can tell you what it means YouTube-wise – nothing."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.