Kovalev: Taking me on is risky business for Canelo

By Sports Desk November 01, 2019

Sergey Kovalev has warned Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez he is taking a major Las Vegas gamble by leaping two weight divisions for Saturday's world title fight.

WBO light-heavyweight champion Kovalev puts his belt on the line at the MGM Grand when he takes on Mexican superstar Canelo, who has beefed up to move up from the middleweight ranks.

The audacious move puts 29-year-old Canelo (52-1-2) in line to become a four-weight world champion, having also fought successfully at welterweight and light-middleweight.

But there is always an element of a calculated punt when stepping into a new division, and given Kovalev has a height and reach advantage over Canelo, the man from Guadalajara is playing a high-stakes game.

Rated the third best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet by The Ring, and number one by BoxRec, Canelo heads into the contest as favourite and the 5ft 9in counter-puncher has taken down many tall men during an illustrious career.

Kovalev said, though: "This is a big risk for Canelo because, right now, it's his first fight at light-heavyweight, but I can't make any predictions.

"Everything depends on how I’m going to fill my day on Saturday and my body right now is hungry – I need more and more rest and to eat more.

"This is the biggest fight of my boxing career. I think my experience will help me get victory over Canelo this Saturday."

Speaking to Omnisport, 'Krusher' Kovalev said he cannot begin to plan out his future beyond this weekend.

After going unbeaten for the first 31 fights of his professional career, the 36-year-old Russian has lost three of his past seven and was pushed hard by Britain's Anthony Yarde last time out in Chelyabinsk.

It has the feel of a pivotal bout, and Kovalev (34-3-1) underlined that by admitting his future ambitions in boxing will hinge on how he fares.

"Everything depends on what happens this Saturday," he said. "If I will win, it's going to be more opportunities for my future. If I lose, there will be less opportunities. It's two things: right and left."

Canelo attaches a similar significance to the showdown, having described it as "the most difficult fight of my professional career".

What Kovalev has in his favour is a blossoming partnership with American trainer Buddy McGirt, a former light-welterweight and welterweight champion and a hall-of-famer who has worked previously with the likes of Hasim Rahman, Arturo Gatti and Paulie Malignaggi.

Since they began working together towards the end of 2018, Kovalev has avenged an earlier defeat to Eleider Alvarez and seen off Yarde.

"We have a very good relationship with McGirt. He is a very professional coach and I like to work with him," Kovalev said.

"He gives me the right advice for my technique. My experience and his experience together is a very good cocktail."

Related items

  • Jake Paul wants to knock out Conor McGregor after win over Nate Robinson Jake Paul wants to knock out Conor McGregor after win over Nate Robinson

    Jake Paul threw down the gauntlet to Conor McGregor after his brutal knockout win over Nate Robinson.

    The YouTube star floored former NBA player Robinson – a three-time winner of the Slam Dunk Contest – in the second round of their bout, which served as part of the undercard for the Mike Tyson-Roy Jones Jr. exhibition on Saturday.

    Paul now has two wins from two fights and wants to add a victory over UFC legend McGregor to his resume.

    "I've been training my a** off for the past year," Paul said. "I'm taking this seriously. I have a long list of opponents I want to fight.

    "Conor McGregor, Dillon Danis: I will knock both of them out. There's my brother [Logan Paul], Austin McBroom.

    "I want to be in the sport for a long time. I'm in love with it. Why not?"

    McGregor fought undefeated former five-weight world champion Floyd Mayweather in 2017, losing via a 10th-round stoppage.

    However, the Irishman, a former featherweight and lightweight champion in the UFC, has more pressing concerns than a potential bout with Paul.

    He is set to make his return to the Octagon in January to face Dustin Poirier at UFC 257.

  • Tyson wants to fight again after Jones throwback ends in draw Tyson wants to fight again after Jones throwback ends in draw

    Mike Tyson said he would "absolutely" fight again after his blockbuster exhibition with Roy Jones Jr was ruled a draw in Los Angeles.

    Tyson, 54, and Jones, 51, turned back the clock at Staples Center, where the two boxing legends stepped into the ring over eight two-minute rounds behind closed doors amid the coronavirus on Saturday.

    Former four-weight champion Jones fought as recently as two years ago, while ex-heavyweight king Tyson's last professional bout was in 2005.

    Tyson looked the better fighter despite no knockout blow, working over the body as the heavy-breathing Jones often appeared exhausted.

    "I'm happy with a draw," Tyson said afterwards. "I thought I won but I'm happy because we entertained the fans.

    "I'm used to doing it for three minutes. I'm just happy I got this under my belt and I'm going to continue to do more.

    "Absolutely I would do this again. I'm just happy I could go eight rounds. Knockouts mean nothing, you have to be able to go the distance."

    "Hell no I ain't satisfied with a draw. I wear drawers I don't do draws," Jones said.

    "The dude is so strong man. Whether he hits you with his head, his body shots it don't matter everything hurts. For me I thought I did enough boxing on the outside but I'm cool with a draw. We might have to try and do it again.

    "I need to talk to my family, see what they think. Thank you to everybody who sent us out the right way. If everything goes the right way and my family say it's alright, who knows."

    When asked if the body shots took a toll Jones said: "They definitely hurt the body shots are what make you exhausted."

  • Joyce sets sights on Usyk after Dubois upset Joyce sets sights on Usyk after Dubois upset

    Joe Joyce made clear he wants to fight Oleksandr Usyk next after recording an upset victory over domestic rival Daniel Dubois in London. 

    Joyce claimed the British, Commonwealth and European titles as he wore down Dubois in a long-awaited showdown between two undefeated heavyweights with big hopes of bursting onto the world scene. 

    The pair were due to meet in April and then July, but both dates were postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic. October 24 was also lined up at one stage, only for a further delay to the contest.

    However, the clash did not disappoint when the two finally went up against each other in Westminster on Saturday. 

    Dubois – favourite following 15 straight wins since turning professional – lived up to his nickname of 'Dynamite' at times as he landed some heavy blows, including an overhand right in the second round that briefly threatened an early finish. 

    Yet Joyce was able to come through the occasional onslaught and, crucially, poked and probed away with his metronomic jab, a basic but clever tactic that led to him doing damage to his opponent. 

    A swollen left eye caused Dubois problems and, after being caught again by a jab, he dropped down to one knee during the 10th. While looking at his corner, the 23-year-old was counted out. 

    Joyce was able to celebrate a 12th successive triumph since opting to move into the paid ranks following the 2016 Olympic Games, having returned home with a silver medal from the super-heavyweight competition in Rio de Janeiro.

    Now 35 years of age, the fighter known as 'Juggernaut' is not willing to hang around for opportunities against some of the leading names in a packed division, including Usyk. 

    "Usyk! Usyk! I'm ready for you, Usyk!" Joyce told BT Sport while putting on a deep voice, mimicking the Ukrainian, who had done the same during the build-up to his recent clash with Dereck Chisora. 

    Dubois, meanwhile, insisted he will come back stronger from the first setback in his career, though faced criticism in the aftermath following the circumstances surrounding the finish.

    "He caught me with a good jab. It just happened, man. I tried my best, but I couldn't see. I'm a tough guy. I'll come again for sure," Dubois said. 

    Former heavyweight world champion David Haye questioned the decision to take a knee while working for BT Sport, while Carl Frampton said: "I think he quit there, I have to be brutally honest."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.