Warrington keen to add to belt collection after clinical title defence

By Sports Desk October 12, 2019

Josh Warrington overwhelmed French challenger Sofiane Takoucht with a second-round stoppage win in Leeds, and the IBF featherweight champion vowed he is ready for all-comers.

Warrington was on top from the early moments of the fight at Leeds Arena on Saturday, thrilling his noisy home crowd with a strong start before bringing out his biggest punches.

He sent Takoucht to the canvas twice in round two before a flurry of shots left the Frenchman in deep trouble, forcing the referee to step in and bring the contest to an early conclusion.

The 30th win of Warrington's career was another demonstration of the unbeaten Englishman's prowess, and now he is targeting another belt, which could mean he fights China's Can Xu in 2020, possibly at Elland Road.

WBO champion Oscar Valdez is moving up a division, so can be crossed off the list of potential opponents, and WBA super champion Leo Santa Cruz is going the same way.

Assessing his options, Warrington mentioned Valdez and Santa Cruz but said: "They've moved on. [WBC champion] Gary Russell Jr is kicking about. There's Can Xu, who's the WBA regular champion; he might get promoted to super champion. Shakur Stevenson's going to be fighting for WBO, so I'm leaving my options open and if anyone wants it, I'm here."

Asked about Can, Warrington said: "He's a fantastic champion. Gary Russell Jr only comes out once a year, but if Can Xu wants a fight, here I am."

Warrington insisted it would not be a problem to venture overseas, despite Leeds Arena becoming a regular venue for his big fights.

"Everyone's got their passports at the ready," Warrington told BT Sport.

But home comforts could again appeal to the 28-year-old Yorkshireman, who beat Lee Selby to land his current belt at Leeds United's Elland Road stadium last year.

"We made history at Elland Road, Leeds' first ever world champion," Warrington said. "It'd be nice to be Leeds' first unified world champion at Elland Road, then after that we'll go travelling all over, we'll go on tour."

Related items

  • Sliven still to arrive but all systems go for Saturday's Fight Night at Sabina Sliven still to arrive but all systems go for Saturday's Fight Night at Sabina

    Vladimir Tereskin came in at 256.2 lbs at Friday’s weigh-in at the Jamaica Pegasus ahead of Saturday night’s heavyweight bout against the  Francisco Slivens at Sabina Park in Kingston.

  • Tyson Fury hits back at UFC boss Dana White – I'd smash him for free Tyson Fury hits back at UFC boss Dana White – I'd smash him for free

    Tyson Fury said he would "smash" Dana White after the UFC president advised the former unified heavyweight champion not to consider moving into mixed martial arts.

    Fury – who is expected to return to the ring in February to face Deontay Wilder in a rematch – has been taking on different sports over recent months.

    Having appeared in WWE to wrestle Braun Strowman, Fury has also trained alongside UFC middleweight Darren Till.

    The 31-year-old claimed to have spoken with Conor McGregor about training together, though White stated his belief Fury should stick to boxing.

    "If Tyson Fury wants to fight in MMA, I've got a tonne of guys that would love to fight him," White told TMZ Sports.

    "I just don’t know why. I can't wrap my head around why. Tyson Fury is a very marketable heavyweight, I believe he's one of the best in the world, he's an incredible fighter, and promoted the right way could be part of the three of four biggest fights in heavyweight history.

    "So why come over here and get smashed when you can stay there? Tyson Fury your time is now. You’re the man in boxing. You’re one of the top four guys in the world in boxing. Why even think about coming over here?"

    However, Fury, who acknowledged he only heard about White's comments through his father, dismissed White's claims.

    "I didn’t see them, but my dad saw them and my dad's calling him out for it," Fury told iFL TV at his book signing in London on Wednesday.

    "I'd smash him for free, so I'm not bothered. Listen, everyone's got their opinion.

    "I've got no interest really, I don't care. I'd probably get smashed in a lot of things, but do I care? No."

    Fury also suggested he and fellow British heavyweight boxer Dillian Whyte should take on two of UFC's best in a tag-team contest, after Stipe Miocic claimed he would relish a fight.

    "I'll fight Stipe and Dillian Whyte can fight Francis Ngannou," Fury said. "I'm sure he’s up for that. Tag team, Britain versus MMA."

  • I'm a totally different king - Wilder questions Joshua's mentality I'm a totally different king - Wilder questions Joshua's mentality

    Deontay Wilder has claimed his "strong" mindset sets him apart from Anthony Joshua as he continues on his quest to become the undisputed heavyweight champion.

    Joshua lost his WBA, WBO and IBF titles – as well as his perfect professional record - to Andy Ruiz Jr after being on the wrong end of a stunning upset in June.

    The Briton will attempt to regain the belts in a rematch in Saudi Arabia on December 7. Wilder, meanwhile, is set to defend his WBC strap against Luis Ortiz on November 23.

    Wilder and Joshua have long been tipped to face each other, though Tyson Fury looks set to be the former's next opponent, with their second meeting scheduled for February 2020.

    "Me and Joshua have a different mindset. Mine is strong, way stronger than his," Wilder told Sky Sports.

    "Joshua knew he would lose one day. When it was time, he handed his belts over to Ruiz, he literally transferred the belts to this man.

    "For me? My mindset is different. I'm a totally different king, a totally different beast. I am the best in the world and I prove it each time I go in the ring.

    "I'm not worried about making mistakes and, if I do, rest assured I will correct it as the fight goes on.

    "I'm fighting for one champion, one face, one name - the [undisputed] champion. Nobody will get in my way, nobody."

    Wilder's upcoming bout with Ortiz is also a rematch, with the pair having previously met in New York in 2018.

    It marked the only defeat of 40-year-old Ortiz's 34-fight career to date, with Wilder expecting another difficult challenge.

    "He's one of the best in the world. Nobody has given Ortiz an opportunity, even after I defeated him," Wilder added.

    "Normally after you knock somebody out, other guys are willing to fight him because they have seen weakness, chinks in the armour. They didn't want to fight Ortiz, they don't want to fight him now."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.