GGG v Derevyanchenko: Golovkin trainer doubts Canelo wants third instalment

By Sports Desk October 04, 2019

Gennady Golovkin's trainer Johnathon Banks does not think Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez wants to get back in the ring with his fighter – joking a third bout between the middleweight superstars will only happen "when they're both 65 years old".

Golovkin (39 wins, one defeat, one draw) will attempt to become a two-time world champion in New York on Saturday against Ukraine's Sergiy Derevyanchenko (13-1).

The 37-year-old Kazakhstani's old IBF belt is on the line having been vacated by Alvarez, after the Mexican prevailed via a majority decision in their second fight last year.

As with an initial split-decision draw in 2017, many observers felt Golovkin did enough to get the verdict, meaning plenty of appetite remains for a trilogy.

But, despite both men now having multi-million dollar broadcast deals with US streaming giant DAZN, Alvarez recently told the Los Angeles Times: "Golovkin does not represent anything for me right now. He doesn’t represent a challenge that I haven't had already in our two fights… For me, yes, we are finished."

A trip up to light-heavyweight against veteran world champion Sergey Kovalev is next on Alvarez's agenda in November, and Banks feels he will continue to pursue other options due to the bruising nature of the 24 rounds he shared with Golovkin.

"Man, as of right now I don’t think nobody can see it happening," Banks told Omnisport, when asked about the prospect of Alvarez and Golovkin fighting again. "Not even Canelo himself. He said he doesn't see it happening.

"And if it does happen, it happens when they're both 65 years old. That way [Golovkin] won't be able to hit so hard."

Banks is heading into the second fight of his partnership with Golovkin, the superstar having parted company with long-time trainer Abel Sanchez after the second Alvarez fight.

GGG's fearsome knockout power appeared in good order as an overmatched Steve Rolls was dispatched inside four rounds in June, and Banks feels the only chance his man has of finding a definitive conclusion to the Alvarez rivalry would be to settle matters inside the distance.

"I think the only way that he would get a decision over Canelo is if he knocked him out," he said.

"For me personally, if I was in the camp and that was the opponent, that would be the goal."

First up is Derevyanchenko - a 33-year-old boasting a stellar amateur career, with his only loss in the paid ranks coming when he challenged stablemate Danny Jacobs for the WBA title, dropping a split decision.

If the younger man opts for the all-action approach he brought against Jacobs, Banks foresees Golovkin closing the show in familiar fashion.

"A guy like Derevyanchenko, he's a volume puncher," Banks added. "It's very rare and very hard to notice any weaknesses, because any weaknesses he does have he makes up for with the volume of punches that he throws.

"I think everybody was talking about how they think he won the Jacobs fight; I don’t think he won the Jacobs fight.

"I think Jacobs was able to do whatever he wanted to do in the ring. I don't think Derevyanchenko was frightened of Danny Jacobs; I don't think Danny Jacobs was frightened of Derevyanchenko.

"It made it a good fight because the guys knew each other so well. If Derevyanchenko fights GGG like he fought Danny Jacobs, then my opinion is it will be a short night."

Related items

  • Garcia beats Redkach after alleged eighth-round bite Garcia beats Redkach after alleged eighth-round bite

    Danny Garcia scored an unanimous decision victory over Ivan Redkach in a WBC welterweight title elimination fight in New York on Saturday.

    Heavily favoured after stopping Adrian Granados in April, 31-year-old Garcia (36-2, 21 KOs) turned in a workmanlike performance over 12 rounds to defeat his Ukrainian opponent.

    The only real drama came when Redkach (23-5-1, 18 KOs) appeared to bite the American on the shoulder during the eighth round.

    Garcia laughed off the incident, telling Showtime: "He said 'Mike Tyson' when he bit me. I said: 'Ref, he bit me!' That's my first time ever getting bitten in a fight. Things happen, though."

    A former two-division champion, Garcia could now look to a meeting with either Manny Pacquiao or Errol Spence Jr.

    "Either of those fights I would like to have," he said. "I think my style fits great with both fighters, or even a rematch with Keith Thurman, or Mikey Garcia.”

    On the undercard, Jarred Hurd had to contend with boos from the Brooklyn crowd before beating Francisco Santana (25-8-1, 12 KOs) via unanimous decision.

    Hurd (24-1, 16 KOs) was jeered during the second half of a forgettable affair despite cruising to a comfortable victory in his first fight since the surprise loss to Julian Williams in May.

  • Saudi Arabia an option for Joshua bout against Fury or Wilder – Hearn Saudi Arabia an option for Joshua bout against Fury or Wilder – Hearn

    Eddie Hearn believes the money offered to host a fight in Saudi Arabia between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder will be too good to turn down.

    Joshua regained his WBA, IBF and WBO belts from Andy Ruiz Jr in December in a heavyweight rematch contested in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.

    While Joshua's next fight is set to be against Kubrat Pulev, the Briton's promoter Hearn has talked up the possibility of a meeting with the victor of Fury-Wilder II, which takes place in Las Vegas on February 22, later in 2020.

    On Wednesday, Fury's promoter Frank Warren dismissed Joshua's claims that talks between his camp and Wilder's had already taken place, though he claimed a fight between his client and Joshua should be held towards the end of the year.

    Now, Hearn has suggested Saudi Arabia would again prove to be a viable venue for such a fight, claiming the money on offer would ensure a bout would happen.

    "You have new players in town that are willing to spend money never seen before in this sport. It's there, we've had the conversations," Hearn told Sky Sports.

    "We did it once, in December. I know the money that they're willing to put in for this fight at the back end of the year and it's why I'm so confident of making it, because there's just too much money.

    "There comes a time in the sport where money talks too much and, when it does, there's no going back. Even if the other guys didn't want it, they can't ignore the numbers.

    "Everybody's lucky that the numbers we were talking about a year ago, they've doubled, trebled. Don't agree? You've spun it up on that roulette wheel, now take your chips and leave."

    Hearn also suggested Joshua – who could also face Oleksandr Usyk – would be willing to scrap his planned fight with Pulev should the Bulgarian not agree to a venue in Britain.

    "AJ's going to call the shots here and he may end up having to let the Pulev fight go if he won't fight in the places we'd like him to fight and that is in the UK," Hearn said.

    "We're looking at dates around the end of May, beginning of June for the Pulev fight. Everywhere's in play – Emirates Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the London Stadium.

    "We've also reached out to Twickenham as well and the Millennium Stadium have got some dates for us. In an ideal world, AJ's next fight will be against Pulev in London."

  • No Wilder-Joshua talks, insists Fury's promoter Warren No Wilder-Joshua talks, insists Fury's promoter Warren

    Tyson Fury's promoter Frank Warren insisted there is no truth in Anthony Joshua's claims he has held talks with Deontay Wilder over a heavyweight fight.

    Joshua regained the WBA, IBF and WBO belts from Andy Ruiz Jr in December, while Fury is set to meet WBC champion Wilder in a rematch on February 22.

    Brit Joshua has recently suggested his camp has held discussions with Wilder's management over a potential meeting this year, which would come instead of a possible third bout between the American and Fury.

    Warren, though, is adamant no talks have been held.

    "I spoke to [Wilder's co-manager] Shelly Finkel [on Tuesday] and he denied it," Warren told ESPN.

    "There's a rematch clause in the contract and the loser has the right to invoke that not long after the fight.

    "That will determine what happens, not what [promoter] Eddie Hearn or Joshua says.

    "It seems every time they mention these discussions they never think about the possibility of Tyson winning the fight with Wilder."

    Joshua is reportedly set to face Kubrat Pulev, who is the IBF mandatory challenger, while a bout between the Briton and Oleksandr Usyk has been also been mooted.

    But Warren is hopeful of bringing Joshua and Fury together for an-all British encounter, though he cited the "ego" of Hearn as a potential stumbling block.

    "I would like to see Tyson in with Joshua straight away after February 22," Warren said.

    "I don't think it's a difficult negotiation – we have just seen that with two networks in the United States agreeing to work with each other for Wilder-Fury II. The only thing that stops it is all of the ego with Eddie Hearn.

    "I don't see why it should be a problem at all. It's a fight for the good of the sport that everyone wants to see. As long as Tyson wins his next fight, and Joshua wins his mandatory fight next, it can happen.

    "It seems like everyone is looking for reasons why it shouldn't happen. Nearly every big fight we have got over the line. 

    "Fury and Joshua are at their best, nothing is stopping it from happening except Joshua's people being afraid of their cash cow being beaten."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.