Pacquiao's camp deny Khan fight agreement: It's news to us!

By Sports Desk July 16, 2019

Manny Pacquiao's camp have dismissed suggestions from Amir Khan that the Filipino great has agreed to a fight in Saudi Arabia in November.

Khan announced on Tuesday that "both parties have signed the fight off" for Riyadh on November 8, suggesting only an injury to Pacquiao in his clash with Keith Thurman could scupper the planned bout.

But with Pacquiao firmly focused on taking on Thurman for the WBA welterweight title in Las Vegas on Saturday, his team have spoken on his behalf to reject Khan’s claim.

Sean Gibbons, president of MP Promotions, told BoxingScene.com: "The Amir Khan fight is news to us."

Fred Sternburg, Pacquiao's publicist, also stated no deal has been completed, telling The National: "Manny has not signed a contract for that fight."

Multi-weight world champion Pacquiao, now 40, boasts a 61-7-2 record and has long been a target for Khan, who defeated Billy Dib in Jeddah last week.

Related items

  • Kovalev survives Yarde scare to defend WBO title Kovalev survives Yarde scare to defend WBO title

    Sergey Kovalev came through a difficult eighth round to stop Anthony Yarde and retain his WBO light-heavyweight belt in Chelyabinsk.

    Kovalev reclaimed his title from Eleider Alvarez in January, having been knocked out by the same man in an initial meeting last year, to set up a return to Russia for the first time since 2016.

    For a short time on Saturday, though, the home favourite staggered towards the brink of losing his belt again, despite dominating Yarde for much of the contest.

    Kovalev found his rhythm after a cagey start and repeatedly tested Yarde's chin with his left, seeing little come back his way from the Briton.

    But after showing signs of a response in both the fifth and seventh, Yarde traded punches in the eighth before suddenly having Kovalev in clear trouble.

    By the bell, the 36-year-old champion looked spent. He had done well to come through the onslaught but was warned by trainer Buddy McGirt to improve in a hurry or else he would be pulled out by his corner.

    Kovalev responded to the ultimatum by going on the attack. A tiring Yarde did well to get through the 10th under heavy punishment but was knocked down in the next by a stiff jab, leading to the bout being stopped.

    It is the first defeat of his 19-fight career, while Kovalev moves to 34-3-1.

    "[Yarde] was seconds away from winning it with those body shots in the eighth," promoter Frank Warren told BT Sport. "Every time, he was hurting [Kovalev] and he was all over the place at one stage."

    Earlier, Ilunga Makabu pipped Aleksei Papin in an entertaining bout that went the distance.

  • Ruiz appears to confirm Joshua rematch in Saudi Arabia Ruiz appears to confirm Joshua rematch in Saudi Arabia

    Heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr vowed to end Anthony Joshua's career in Saudi Arabia after reportedly agreeing to the location for their rematch.

    It was announced by Matchroom Boxing earlier in August that British fighter Joshua would look to regain his IBF, WBA and WBO belts from Ruiz in Riyadh on December 7.

    However, Mexican-American Ruiz, who caused a huge upset by winning their first encounter in New York with a seventh-round stoppage, initially made it clear publicly he had no intention of defending his titles in the Middle East.

    ESPN and The Athletic reported this week that Ruiz had consented to the bout following a number of contractual tweaks, including an increase in his share of the purse.

    The reigning champion, who has been tipped to triumph again by WBC heavyweight king Deontay Wilder, appeared to confirm an agreement was reached.

    "I dethroned the king June 1st and made history becoming the first Mexican-American heavyweight champion of the world," Ruiz wrote on Twitter.

    "I'm looking forward to ending his [Joshua's] career in the desert. I will show the greatness of Mexican boxing in Saudi Arabia."

  • Ruiz will beat Joshua in rematch, says Wilder Ruiz will beat Joshua in rematch, says Wilder

    Anthony Joshua will lose his rematch against heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr, according to Deontay Wilder.

    Ruiz was a late replacement for Jarrell Miller when he pulled off a huge shock and stopped Joshua in the seventh round at Madison Square Garden in June to claim the IBF, WBA and WBO straps.

    The rematch has been set for December 7 in Riyadh and WBC belt-holder Wilder is anticipating a repeat result.

    Asked who will win the second encounter, American Wilder told BBC Sport: "Ruiz in my opinion. I feel Joshua does not know how he lost, and that means he will not know how to set up a proper training camp - but anything is possible.

    "Boxing is an amazing sport and you just do not know what is going to happen. That is why I love it.

    "I saw Ruiz punch Joshua in the temple and it knocked his equilibrium out. He could not recover and that meant he got knocked down four times. When you are in a situation where you have not been before, it is like life teaching you a lot of lessons on the job.

    "At that moment on the job for Joshua, he had to learn and could not pull through. But having fallen this time in life, the next time he might pull through because he has experienced it before and he should be able to correct the wrongs."

    Matchroom Boxing chief Eddie Hearn said Ruiz, who refused to fight Briton Joshua in the United Kingdom, is contractually obliged to take part in Saudi Arabia after the champion stated on social media he would not be heading to the Middle East.

    Wilder said: "As far as location is concerned, they need to have a neutral venue, one that not only satisfies the fighters but the fans too.

    "It should be somewhere people have knowledge about, it is too late to figure out the history of a country. Will it be safe? God forbid, if anything happens to someone or their family. I can understand why Ruiz does not want to go there."

    Wilder will defend his title against Luis Ortiz, though a date and location is yet to be announced, and is then set to have a rematch with Tyson Fury before attempting to unify the division.

    "Ortiz is definitely happening. I am looking forward to fighting him. After I knock him out I will go to Fury, knock him out and then we will go for a unification," Wilder said.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.