Khan claims Pacquiao fight agreed for November 8 in Riyadh

By Sports Desk July 16, 2019

Amir Khan says Manny Pacquiao has agreed to face him in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on November 8, provided the Filipino great comes through his fight with Keith Thurman unscathed.

The 40-year-old Pacquiao (61-7-2) is set to face Thurman for the WBA Super welterweight title in Las Vegas on Saturday.

Ahead of that contest, Khan, who improved his record to 34-5 by easing past late stand-in Billy Dib in Jeddah last week, said a deal is in place with Pacquiao's team.

"Hopefully we can get that fight," the Briton told iFL TV. "Both parties have signed the fight off, but hopefully he comes out of there in one piece on the weekend against Keith Thurman, which is a hard fight for him.

"If Manny comes out of this fight safe and sound without any injuries, I think that'll be the next one."

Asked what will happen if Pacquiao loses to Thurman, Khan added: "I still think it's a big fight out there. Because Saudi wants to see Manny Pacquiao, Saudi wants to see me again.

"Let's see what happens. At the moment, I think the Saudis want the Pacquiao fight more than any other name."

Prior to his facile victory over Dib, Khan was previously in action in April, when he lost in controversial fashion to Terence Crawford, a low blow bringing the WBO welterweight title bout to a premature end.

Khan has long courted a fight with multi-weight world champion Pacquiao, who will face Thurman this weekend having revived his career with victories over Lucas Matthysse and Adrien Broner following a shock loss to Jeff Horn in 2017.

Related items

  • Hearn: Ruiz contractually obliged to fight Joshua in Riyadh Hearn: Ruiz contractually obliged to fight Joshua in Riyadh

    Eddie Hearn says the heavyweight rematch between Andy Ruiz Jr and Anthony Joshua will take place in Saudi Arabia despite the champion declaring it would be staged in the United States.

    Matchroom Boxing last week announced the pair will step into the ring to do battle for a second time in Riyadh on December 7 after Ruiz refused to fight in the United Kingdom.

    Yet Ruiz stated in a social-media Q+A that he would not be defending his IBF, WBA and WBO titles in the Middle East.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, responded by stating that the Mexican will be heading to Saudi Arabia.

    "The contract for the rematch was signed prior to the first fight," Hearn told Sky Sports. "They are both signed at the same time. There is no other contract.

    "We have to let [Ruiz Jr] know the time, date and venue which we have done. That's it.

    "They are contractually bound for the rematch. There are no conversations between the two teams about not doing the fight. I don't perceive a problem.

    "He signed a contract with us that he was absolutely over the moon with, that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime. He will 100 per cent honour that contract.

    "His choice is to have a legal battle that could put him out of boxing for years, or to defend his belts for a lot of money against a guy he has already beaten. There isn't any doubt he will take the fight."

  • Wallin warns Fury has 'everything to lose' in Las Vegas Wallin warns Fury has 'everything to lose' in Las Vegas

    The undefeated Otto Wallin has warned Tyson Fury he is ready to grab his opportunity "with both hands" when they fight in Las Vegas next month and the Briton has "everything to lose".

    It was confirmed on Tuesday that Fury will return to the T-Mobile Arena for a heavyweight battle with Swede Wallin on September 14.

    Former world champion Fury already has his eye on a fight on home soil in December after stepping into the ring with Wallin, before a rematch with Deontay Wilder next year.

    Wallin (20-0) knows Fury will be a firm favourite, but says he will be in for a rude awakening in Nevada.

    The 28-year-old said: "This is the type of fight I've been waiting for since I was a kid and my father started showing me some boxing moves in our kitchen.

    "I've made a lot of sacrifices to get to this point, and I'm very happy it's starting to pay off. I want to thank my team and my supporters for making this happen.

    "I know I'm an underdog in this fight, but I'm ready for this opportunity and I'm going to grab it with both hands. Anybody can get beat and especially in the heavyweight division.

    "I like the fact that I have everything to gain and Tyson has everything to lose."

    Fury, who has a professional record of 28 wins and a draw, brutally knocked out Tom Schwarz at the same venue in June.

  • Saunders: I'll fight Golovkin at whatever weight he wants! Saunders: I'll fight Golovkin at whatever weight he wants!

    Billy Joe Saunders is eager to show he could "easily" beat Gennady Golovkin in order to earn a shot at Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez.

    Two-weight world champion Saunders has signed with Matchroom Boxing, having previously been frustrated in his bid to fight either Golovkin or Canelo with previous promoter Frank Warren.

    The Briton is hopeful his versatility, with triumphs at middleweight and super-middleweight, will create the opportunity to take on Golovkin.

    However, Saunders sees the 37-year-old, who has previously drawn with and lost to Alvarez, as a stepping stone on the way to a lucrative Canelo fight.

    "Golovkin can come up to 180 [lbs] if he wants, for me," Saunders told a news conference. "I'm not bothered about that. I'll fight Golovkin at whatever weight he wants.

    "That's a fight I would absolutely love, because if I got that fight, I could show people all around the world - not being big-headed or brash talking - how easily I could beat him and outbox him and probably do a better job than Canelo.

    "People would probably call for that [Canelo] fight after."

    Saunders is confident he would then be able to triumph again against "the big name" in Canelo.

    "Obviously, he's the biggest name," he said. "But styles make fights and we've seen when he boxed [Erislandy] Lara, he had all sorts of trouble.

    "I believe my mindset is a lot better than Lara's, and I thought Lara nicked that fight.

    "That was Canelo more in his prime. All these training camps you see him in now, training with these knee supports and these elbow supports...

    "He's a brilliant fighter - I'm not talking down to him - but I wouldn't be sat here if I didn't believe I could beat them. I wouldn't take £1billion if I didn't believe I could win.

    "Even though he's the big name in the sport, I'm there to take it. I'm on that ladder, looking up, I'm on the right path to make those fights and to win them."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.