Jamaica qualifies two boxers for Pan Am Games

By April 18, 2019

Two Jamaican boxers, super heavyweight Ricardo Brown and lightweight Shiloh Defreitas, have qualified for the Pan American Games in Lima, Peru, from July 2 to August 11.

Both men won their berths during a qualifying tournament held in Managua, Nicaragua, from April 2-11.

Brown got a bye into the quarterfinals and then lost to American Richard Torrez, who was unable to take further part in the competition because of injuries. Torrez would go on to win a bronze medal.

Meanwhile, Defreitas who is based in England won his first bout against Yonathan Contreras from Guatemala, but lost to former Colombian professional boxer Jonathan Romero, in the next round. However, he finished in the final eight and therefore qualified.

Leroy Brown, the manager of Jamaica’s team, said the boxers performed well overall but he was disappointed that welterweight boxer Joshua Frazer did not make the cut despite an excellent performance.

Frazer won his bouts against Costa Rica’s Abraham Mora, the referee stopping the contest in round two. He later defeated Carl Hield of the Bahamas on points.

Frazer would eventually lose to the eventual silver medal winner Gabriel Maestre from Venezuela. He finished eighth which would normally qualify him for a spot at the Pan Am Games but Pan Am hosts Peru, were given a free spot in that division.

Jamaica's other boxer, Ian Darby lost his opening bout against Mexican Rogelio Romero and did not qualify.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Hearn: Ruiz contractually obliged to fight Joshua in Riyadh Hearn: Ruiz contractually obliged to fight Joshua in Riyadh

    Eddie Hearn says the heavyweight rematch between Andy Ruiz Jr and Anthony Joshua will take place in Saudi Arabia despite the champion declaring it would be staged in the United States.

    Matchroom Boxing last week announced the pair will step into the ring to do battle for a second time in Riyadh on December 7 after Ruiz refused to fight in the United Kingdom.

    Yet Ruiz stated in a social-media Q+A that he would not be defending his IBF, WBA and WBO titles in the Middle East.

    Hearn, Joshua's promoter, responded by stating that the Mexican will be heading to Saudi Arabia.

    "The contract for the rematch was signed prior to the first fight," Hearn told Sky Sports. "They are both signed at the same time. There is no other contract.

    "We have to let [Ruiz Jr] know the time, date and venue which we have done. That's it.

    "They are contractually bound for the rematch. There are no conversations between the two teams about not doing the fight. I don't perceive a problem.

    "He signed a contract with us that he was absolutely over the moon with, that gave him the opportunity of a lifetime. He will 100 per cent honour that contract.

    "His choice is to have a legal battle that could put him out of boxing for years, or to defend his belts for a lot of money against a guy he has already beaten. There isn't any doubt he will take the fight."

  • Jamaica defender Hector left out in cold after transfers collapse Jamaica defender Hector left out in cold after transfers collapse

    Jamaica international Michael Hector is likely to be without regular first-team football until the next transfer window after deadline day moves to Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham collapsed.

    The 27-year-old defender signed with Premier League club Chelsea in 2015 but has spent all his time on various loan spells.  Since signing for the Blues, at Stamford Bridge, the Jamaican has been loaned back to Reading to Frankfurt, Hull City, and Sheffield Wednesday.

    Having clearly found himself to not be a part of new manager Frank Lampard’s plans, Hector was in talks with Sheffield Wednesday over a permanent move a few days before the close of the summer window. 

    Chelsea were, however, said to want £5 million for Hector, who recently entered the final year of his contract with the club for whom he has never played a competitive fixture. 

    The player came close to joining Fulham on Thursday but that move fell through.  Fulham were hopeful of landing Hector before the window closed but couldn't as they were still waiting on the agreement for Ryan Sessegnon to be completed with Tottenham.

    The Cottagers were then forced to go for other targets on loan in order to comply with FFP regulations.  Hector is, however, expected to join the club in the January window.

     

  • Reggae Boy Shamar Nicholson signs with Belgian club Sporting Charleroi Reggae Boy Shamar Nicholson signs with Belgian club Sporting Charleroi

    Reggae Boyz striker Shamar Nicholson is moving on from Slovenian club NK Domzale after signing a contract to play for Belgian club Sporting Charleroi.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.