Jamaica clashes with Panama on Saturday night's Gloves over Guns fight card

By April 11, 2019

Amateur fighters from Panama and Jamaica will square off on Saturday, April 13 during a Guns Over Guns/Jamaica vs Panama fight card set for the Stanley Couch Gym in Kingston.

The Gloves Over Guns Programme is an campaign designed to showcase the skills of youngsters fam violent inner-city communities rescued by the Fight for Peace Initiative. This is the third fight card in the Gloves Over Guns boxing series following the inaugural card in Denham Town in October 2018 and another in Montego Bay the following month.

Saturday night’s card will feature three bouts involving Panamanian and Jamaican amateur fighters plus five other match-ups.

Panamanian Ambassador, Alexis Sandoval said his country’s fighters were ready to rise to the occasion. “The boxers who come from Panama are in good form to do the fight and I expect that the evening will be a success.  I am grateful for the interchange between the two countries and that it will involve other sports and not only boxing,” he said.

Meanwhile, Jamaica Boxing Board President Stephen Jones said the citizens of Parade Gardens where the Stanley Couch Gum is located are excited to have the fight card in their community, believing it will help to improve relationships within the community.

At the launch held at the offices of the Sports Development Foundation on Phoenix Avenue in Kingston, Jones introduced the media to Chris Johnson, a retired boxer who won a silver medal for Canada at the Olympic Games.

According to Jones, Johnson, who is from Falmouth is opening a gym in that town to expose youngsters to boxing.

Sixteen-year-old welterweight Anrold Anderson will be taking on one of the Panamanians on Saturday and said he is eagerly anticipating the battle ahead. “Boxing is my favourite sport in the world and am very confident for this fight this Saturday,” he said.

“I have been training very very hard so that I am well prepared for this competition.”

  He encouraged the public to come and see the ring general in heated action on Saturday.

Jermaine Brown, another of the fighters on the card said he is also looking forward to the competition, “because it will be a great push for my career and help me advance to the national team.”

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Ortiz will not replace Miller to fight Joshua Ortiz will not replace Miller to fight Joshua

    Luis Ortiz's camp has confirmed the Cuban will not be replacing Jarrell Miller to take on Anthony Joshua at Madison Square Garden on June 1.

    Miller had been due to fight WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight champion Joshua but the American was refused a licence after a drugs test returned an adverse finding.

    Ortiz, whose sole defeat from his 34 professional bouts came against WBC strap-holder Deontay Wilder in March last year, had been touted as a potential opponent for Joshua.

    But Ortiz's promoter King Kong Boxing declared the 40-year-old would not be standing in, accusing Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn of making a derisory offer.

    "It’s a no go for June 1…sorry guys we were told to stay as quiet as possible and play possum until [the] fight had been made because every time someone called Luis out it would be a gimmick to promote themselves but it still didn't work," read a post on Instagram.

    "We just received news from [the] promoter that it's a no go and it was all a gimmick and Hearn's low-ball offers will not be accepted and no contract even ever got sent so sorry to all the loyal fans…Luis really wanted this title shot."

  • Retiring too early would haunt me forever - Khan Retiring too early would haunt me forever - Khan

    Amir Khan feels he has plenty still to offer to boxing and says retiring too early would "haunt me forever".

    Khan was beaten by Terence Crawford in a WBO welterweight title bout on Saturday after succumbing to a low blow in the sixth round in New York.

    The 32-year-old insisted after that he had been hit "in the balls" and would not ordinarily have bowed out early.

    Khan also disputed suggestions he could now be done in boxing and reiterated that point as he explained how a premature retirement would hurt him.

    "When you get older, everything changes," he told the Independent. "The whole ball game changes and everything you do is for your family

    "But boxing is one of those sports where, once I leave the sport, I don't want to come back. I know I give my family a heart attack every time I fight and they hate me fighting, but it's just going to be for this one time in my life.

    "Then after that, I can spend the rest of my life with my family. I know it hurts them and upsets them, but it's what I'm good at doing.

    "I have to be ready to finish. I don't want to finish thinking, 'Could I have fought again?' You have to do it at the right time. It has to be a solid decision. Retiring at the wrong time would haunt me forever. It would haunt anyone."

    But Khan believes he will enjoy retirement when it does come, adding: "These next couple of weeks will be quite interesting.

    "I have to sit down with my close friends and also my wife. I'm at the age of 32 now, but I feel like I've got a lot left in me. Retirement is not something I'm looking at and I definitely wouldn't want to leave the sport in this way.

    "I think retirement will be nice - one day, when I do retire. I think I will enjoy it because it would take a lot of pressure off me. You are then a free man."

  • Miller doesn't deserve to be in the ring – Joshua Miller doesn't deserve to be in the ring – Joshua

    Anthony Joshua believes Jarrell Miller does not deserve a fight against anyone after his failed drugs tests.

    Miller was due to face WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight champion Joshua in New York on June 1, only for promoter Eddie Hearn to reveal the American had failed two tests.

    Joshua, who is 22-0 and set to fight outside United Kingdom for the first time, is hopeful a new opponent will be announced in the coming days.

    The Brit said there was no way Miller deserved a fight after his failed tests.

    "Just to say good luck to the kid Jarrell Miller whatever he does with his life," Joshua said in a video posted on his YouTube channel.

    "As I said, I'm not going to knock you when he's down, but he doesn't even deserve to be in the ring with me or any other heavyweight right now.

    "I don't know what the future holds – that's not up to me, that's up to the governing bodies. They'll make the right decision and right call in this situation."

    Miller, also unbeaten and holding a 23-0-1 record, has since admitted he "messed up" after losing his title shot.

    Joshua said Miller had annoyed him in the lead up to their scheduled bout, the Brit having passionately dismissed accusations of drug use made by the American.

    "I didn't want to talk too much in the situation with Jarrell Miller because it's not in my character to knock a man when he's down," he said.

    "However, there was a lot of things that he has said previously in the press conferences in the build-up [that] I wanted to crack him in his jaw. But I know when you're in that position, you have to lead by example and I knew that wasn't the right thing to do.

    "The lesson to learn in this situation is karma works in various ways and what goes around will come back around and I feel like he has taken fate and his own blessings out of his own hands.

    "Sometimes, be respectful. I know it's a fight, but be respectful, be appreciative and lead by example and what he had done is not leading by example."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.