Mo Farah and other Salazar athletes set to be investigated by WADA

By Sports Desk November 04, 2019

Mo Farah and other athletes who trained under Alberto Salazar are to be investigated by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).

Salazar was banned from coaching during the World Athletics Championships in Doha, after he – along with Dr Jeffrey Brown – were found guilty of possessing and trafficking banned substances after a four-year investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency.

The verdict resulted in Salazar's Nike Oregon Project being shut down, though the 61-year-old stated he will appeal his four-year ban.

Farah, who Salazar helped become the most successful British track athlete in modern Olympic Games history, claimed in October that there was an "agenda" against him after he was questioned over his former coach's actions.

However, Farah – along with athletes who previously worked with Salazar – will now be scrutinised by WADA, according to its president Craig Reedie.

"The clear question is did any of the allegations concerning Salazar and his operations result in athletes cheating themselves, which might have influenced their performance and might have involved the winning of competitions," Reedie told BBC Sport.

"We need to look at that and we will."

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Chicago Marathon cancelled over COVID-19 concerns Coronavirus: Chicago Marathon cancelled over COVID-19 concerns

    The 2020 Chicago Marathon has been cancelled due to ongoing health concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic, organisers announced on Monday. 

    The annual event, which was scheduled for October 11, is the third major marathon in the United States to be called off amid the COVID-19 outbreak.

    The New York Marathon previously cancelled its planned November 1 running and the Boston Marathon was postponed from April 20 to September 14 before ultimately being shelved. 

    Chicago's marathon generally attracts approximately 45,000 participants and more than one million spectators. 

    "Like all Chicagoans, I'm personally disappointed that this year's event won't take place as originally planned," Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said in a statement.

    "However, we look forward to welcoming all runners and their cheering squads once again when the Chicago Marathon returns to our city in full force for another very exciting race." 

    Event organisers said all registered participants for the 2020 race can either have their entry fee refunded or used for the 2021, 2022 or 2023 editions.  

  • Coronavirus: New York City Marathon cancelled due to pandemic Coronavirus: New York City Marathon cancelled due to pandemic

    The 2020 New York City Marathon has been cancelled due to concerns around the coronavirus pandemic.

    Organisers said on Wednesday the decision had been made because of "coronavirus-related health and safety concerns for runners, spectators, volunteers, staff, and the many partners and communities that support the event".

    The race, which was due to be held on November 1, is considered to be the world's largest marathon and saw nearly 54,000 competitors complete the 26.2-mile event last year.

    It is only the second time it has been cancelled in its 50-year history, the previous instance caused by hurricane Sandy in 2012.

    Last month, the Boston Marathon was cancelled after initially being pushed back from April 20 to September 14.

    There have been more than 2.4million confirmed COVID-19 cases in the United States and over 123,500 people to test positive for the virus have died, making it one of the worst-affected countries.

    President Donald Trump has suggested those figures are inflated by the number of tests carried out across the country, although the USA's top infectious diseases expert, Dr Anthony Fauci, says there has been a "disturbing surge" in confirmed cases across several states.

  • World 100m champion Christian Coleman provisionally suspended over whereabouts failures World 100m champion Christian Coleman provisionally suspended over whereabouts failures

    World 100 metres champion Christian Coleman has been handed a provisional suspension by the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) for whereabouts failures, the third of which he disputes.

    Prior to the AIU, which runs World Athletics' anti-doping programme, announcing the ban, sprinter Coleman outlined in a lengthy Twitter post that his third missed drug test in the space of 12 months occurred on December 9 last year.

    World Athletics rules stipulate that athletes will be guilty of a violation if they have a combination of three missed tests or filing failures across a 12-month period. Those found to be in contravention face up to a two-year ban.

    Coleman took responsibility for the first missed on January 16, 2019 and claimed the second on April 26 of the same year was due to "a filing failure".

    The American said he was only notified of this third missed test on December 10, the following day, and questioned why he had not been contacted by phone, when he had been previously.

    Coleman uploaded what he said was a screenshot of his "Unsuccessful Attempt Report". The additional comments claimed "multiple, loud knocks were made every 10 minutes for the entire hour period" and "there was also a doorbell that was pressed, but we could not hear a ring inside so [it was] unclear if it was in operation". The document also stated "no phone call was made per client instructions".

    "I've been contacted by phone literally every other time I've been tested. Literally, Idk [I don't know] why this time was different," Coleman wrote.

    "He even said he couldn't hear the doorbell so why wouldn't you call me? Why would AIU tell him not to contact me? He put down the wrong address btw [by the way] so who knows if he even came to my spot.

    "That night I have multiple receipts of going shopping then getting food and coming back during this time, so I don't think he stayed for an hour and WHY WOULD AIU TELL HIM NOT TO CALL ME?!

    "The AIU has to stop playing, man. Two days later they came back to test me…and followed the normal protocol and called and of course there were no issues with my test. And I've been tested multiple times since, even during quarantine.

    "But of course that doesn't matter, and the fact that I have never taken drugs doesn't matter."

    He added: "I think the attempt on December 9th was a purposeful attempt to get me to miss a test."

    The AIU has yet to respond to Coleman's allegations.

    Coleman was facing a two-year ban from the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) prior to the 2019 World Athletics Championships in Doha due to whereabouts failures, but he had the charges withdrawn because of a filing irregularity regarding the date of the first missed test.

    "I have never and will never use performance enhancing supplements or drugs," said Coleman.

    "I am willing to take a drug test EVERY single day for the rest of my career for all I care to prove my innocence."

    He added: "I have no idea what I could've done to avoid this but my parents did get me a ring doorbell camera for Christmas so that should nip all and any miscommunication in the bud."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.