Coronavirus: Tokyo Olympics in 2021 under threat, warns IOC chief Bach

By Sports Desk May 21, 2020

The Tokyo Olympics will be cancelled if the coronavirus makes hosting the event in its revised 2021 date unsafe.

That is the stark warning from International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach, who sees no viable option to further delay the Games.

Local organisers have admitted there is no scope to push the Olympics – originally scheduled to begin in July this year – back to 2022.

And Bach acknowledged the fact the Games would either have to be staged next year, or not at all.

"Quite frankly, I have some understanding for this, because you can't forever employ 3,000 or 5,000 people in an Organising Committee," he told the BBC.

"You can't every year change the entire sports schedule worldwide of all the major federations. You can't have the athletes being in uncertainty."

Key stakeholders are having to consider contingency plans for a variety of scenarios should the Tokyo Olympics go ahead, but the IOC is resistant to the idea of them taking place behind closed doors.

"This is not what we want," Bach said. "Because the Olympic spirit is about also uniting the fans and this is what makes the Games so unique that they're in an Olympic Stadium, all the fans from all over the world are together.

"But when it then would come to the decision... I would ask you to give me some more time for consultation with the athletes, with the World Health Organisation, with the Japanese partners."

 

 

 

Related items

  • Moments In Time: The race that made Elaine Thompson Moments In Time: The race that made Elaine Thompson

    Elaine Thompson-Herah looks a woman who is back to her fabulous best.

    Early in an Olympic year, she is already producing very fast times and all things being equal where injuries and loss of form are concerned, she should be challenging for two Olympic titles in Tokyo next year.

    Thompson-Herah, not unlike a certain Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, rose from relative obscurity to beat the world and this may be courtesy of another great Jamaican in the field of athletics, her coach, Stephen Francis.

    Who can forget the World Championships of 2015 when Thompson-Herah, then just Thompson, finished second in one of the greatest women’s 200-metre races of all time.

    Just a year earlier, Thompson’s best over 200 metres had been 23.23, but she had shown promise over 100 metres, clocking 11.17 in 2014, before lowering that to 10.84 at a meet in Eugene not long before the World Champions.

    It was something of a surprise that she would not be contesting the 100 at the World Championships, with Francis setting her up to run the 200 in Beijing, China.

    Thompson had not run that many 200s and while Jamaicans were quietly hopeful that she could get on the podium, it was not a certainty.

    In May of that year, Thompson had run 22.37, but while quick, it was slower than the times of The Netherland’s Dafne Schippers and the United States’ Candice McGrone, who had run 22.09 and 22.08 seconds respectively at a Diamond League meeting in Monaco.

    That is until eight days after that meet when Thompson ran 22.10 to be hot on their heels.

    On the 26th of August 2015, Thompson cruised through heat 4 in Beijing to win in 22.78 seconds.

    For someone, who a year earlier hadn’t broken 22 seconds, she looked good.

    But Dina Asher-Smith of Great Britain was quick, qualifying with a personal best 22.22, while Schippers looked smooth, shutting down long before she would end her heat in 22.58 seconds.

    The race was wide open.

    On August 27, Thompson showed she was in just as good a form as the 22.10 personal best she had run earlier in the year, clocking 22.13 to get the better of McGrone, who finished in 22.26 to march into the final with the quickest time.

    Schippers with 22.36 was also comfortable, looking like she could go a lot faster.

    Asher-Smith was faster too, stopping the clock at 22.12 seconds for yet another personal best.

    The following day, Friday, August 28, 2015, produced, arguably the most exciting 200 the world had ever seen.

    Thompson, was out of the blocks in a hurry, running a blinding curve to leave everybody in her wake coming off the curve.

    The time was going to be fast. Very fast.

    But Thompson wasn’t at her strongest yet and though she has never run faster, she faded toward the end, with Schippers, using her formidable heptathlon strength to close like a train.

    Nobody else was in the frame.

    Schippers was closing and Elaine began straining, just at the line, the Dutchwoman dipped, the difference was .03 of a second.

    Thompson was second in 21.66 seconds, Schippers was a World Champion in a championship record 21.63.

    Another Jamaican, Veronica Campbell-Brown, with a season’s best 21.97, was also on the podium. The time, though not as quick as Campbell-Brown had gone in her life, was the quickest she had gone in a very long time, the experienced legs of the many-time world-beater, finding a way to get onto the podium.

    Behind Campbell-Brown, were McGrone in 22.01, and Asher-Smith, in a national record, 22.07.
    Though Thompson did not win, the race signalled the birth of a star.

  • UTECH sports coaches in limbo as college navigates COVID-19 landscape UTECH sports coaches in limbo as college navigates COVID-19 landscape

    The contracts of all sports coaches, including head track coach Paul Francis and Stephen Francis, employed by the University of Technology (UTECH), have not been renewed for the coming academic year as the college moves to protect its staff and student population from possible COVID-19 infection.

    The pandemic has forced the school to suspend its sports programmes until it decides how many students they will allow on campus for the academic year set to begin on August 26, 2020. 

    Paul and Stephen Francis run the university’s track and field programme, and who under a Memorandum of Understanding with the university, also operate the MVP Track Club at the school’s Papine campus.

    The university informed the coaches by letter on Monday, Sportsmax.TV understands.

    However, the school said the move is temporary.

    “We have not made any final decision. We are waiting to hear from Intercol (Jamaica Intercollegiate Sports Association) and a directive from the Acting President (Professor Colin Gyles) in terms of how many students will be allowed on campus,” said Kamilah Hylton, the Dean of the Faculty of Sports and Science while speaking with Sportsmax.TV on Monday night.

    “We have to make decisions on how they (athletes) would train in a safe manner,” she said while explaining that the school will have to determine how athletes would function under existing COVID-19 protocols, meaning how many athletes would be able to train together, adhere to the required physical distancing requirements and other related safety measures.

    Hylton explained that depending on the state of the pandemic some contracts could be renewed as early as the second school semester.

    “Of paramount importance is the safety of the athletes. We have to ensure that we have the necessary resources to facilitate the safety of our student-athletes,” Ms Hylton said.

     Ms Hylton also confirmed that, so far, no new sports scholarships have been offered to student-athletes.

    As it relates to students who are already on scholarship, Ms Hylton said the school would maintain its obligations to them and they would attend classes as usual.

    “We are bound by contract, so those students would continue to be supported once they continue to meet academic criteria,” she said.

    Among other measures being taken by the school is the limiting of the number of students allowed to share dorm rooms on the campus. For now, only one student will be allowed to a room. 

    The college prides itself as being home to a number of Jamaica's world-class athletes.

    Former 100m world-record holder Asafa Powell, Olympic medalists Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Sherone Simpson were all members of the UTECH track programme.

  • Mets' Stroman opts out of 2020 MLB season Mets' Stroman opts out of 2020 MLB season

    New York Mets pitcher Marcus Stroman has opted out of the 2020 MLB season due to coronavirus concerns.

    Stroman had been recovering from a calf injury and was in contention to make his season debut against the Miami Marlins next week.

    But the 2019 All-Star decided against competing this year as he highlighted concerns with travelling to COVID-19 hotspots like Miami, where the Marlins were the subject of an outbreak.

    "Obviously, you see the [St Louis] Cardinals, the Marlins, you see spikes everywhere in the country, you see protocols not being handled properly from citizens everywhere,'' Stroman said during a Zoom call on Monday, following team-mate Yoenis Cespedes in opting out.

    "You see us going to Florida soon. That was a big discussion I had with my family. Going to see the Marlins soon, that's something I don't want to be in that situation.''

    Stroman, who is set to become a free agent at the end of the season, added: "This was a decision I had to kind of take myself out of it and look out for the best interests of my family."

    The 29-year-old – a Gold Glove Award winner in 2017 – joined the Mets from the Toronto Blue Jays in 2019.

    Stroman had an ERA of 3.77 from 11 games following his arrival in New York, tallying 60 strikeouts from 1,027 pitches.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.