NBA

Kawhi Leonard 'healthy' and now at Disney World, confirms Rivers

By Sports Desk July 12, 2020

Los Angeles Clippers star Kawhi Leonard is "healthy" and has arrived at Disney World for the NBA season restart, coach Doc Rivers has confirmed.

Leonard did not fly to Orlando with his Clippers team-mates on Wednesday after being excused due to a family matter.

Speaking on Saturday, Rivers said the All-Star forward was going through the quarantine procedure put in place as part of the protocols to combat the risk of coronavirus.

"Kawhi, he is here, he is going through the protocol," Rivers said, with Leonard now expected to quarantine for two days.

ESPN reported on July 2 that the Clippers had to close their team facility following a positive test for COVID-19, but Rivers says all the players in Orlando are fit, including Paul George, who had been recovering from shoulder surgery.

"I think everybody's healthy, that is a great thing," he said. "Guys were not as healthy in training camp at the beginning of this year.

"Now we got Paul George healthy, we have Kawhi healthy, we don't have a guy that's injured right now, knock on wood. Hope that continues."

Rivers also addressed controversy around Missouri senator Josh Hawley, who wrote to NBA commissioner Adam Silver to question why players will be allowed to wear jerseys with social justice messaging rather than slogans "Support our Troops", "Back the Blue" or "free Hong Kong".

"They always try to turn it into the military or the police," Rivers said. "There's no league that does more for the military than the NBA. But how about that senator? I'll make up a challenge. We will do things for the troops as long as he acknowledges Black Lives Matter. I think that would be really cool for him to do.

"It's funny, whenever we talk about justice, people try to change the message. Colin Kaepernick kneels, it had nothing to do with the troops. It had to do with social injustice. And everyone tries to change the narrative. How about staying on what we're talking about and dealing with that instead of trying to trick us or change or trick your constituents? How about being real?

"I guarantee you that we have done more for the military than probably that senator. And I guarantee you this, we are going to do things for Black Lives Matter, how about him? Maybe he should join into that."

Related items

  • Svitolina and Bertens opt out of US Open over COVID-19 worries Svitolina and Bertens opt out of US Open over COVID-19 worries

    Elina Svitolina and Kiki Bertens will not take part in this year's US Open due to concerns about coronavirus.

    Svitolina and Bertens on Friday became the latest high-profile players to opt out of the tournament that is due to be played behind closed doors in New York from August 31.

    With women's world number one Ash Barty having already decided against competing, three of the WTA Tour's top 10 players have now pulled out.

    Svitolina, ranked fifth in the world, posted on Twitter: "Considering all the aspects, I have decided not to play the US Open 2020.

    "I want to thank the USTA [United States Tennis Association], organisers and WTA for giving the players a chance to play and the fans a chance to watch this great event.

    "I understand and respect all the efforts they are putting in to make it happen in a safe environment, but I still don't feel comfortable to travel to the US without putting my team and myself at high risk."

    World number seven Bertens said the 14-day quarantine upon returning to the Netherlands from the USA would prove too much of hindrance to her preparation for the French Open, which will take place from September 27.

    "After long consideration I have decided not to go to the States for Cincinnati [the Western and Southern Open, which has been moved to New York] and the US Open," Bertens posted on Instagram.

    "The situation around COVID-19 is still that worrying and the health of everyone and the control over this virus is priority.

    "[The Dutch] prime minister indicated yesterday that we should be quarantined for 14 days after coming back from the States. Of course, we respect this as a team and this would disturb our preparation for my beloved clay court tournaments in Rome and Paris.

    "I hope the situation will soon take a positive turn and wish everyone good health."

    The WTA Tour returned this week with the Palermo Open and, after skipping that event, world number two Simona Halep has arrived in the Czech Republic to play in the Prague Open next week.

    Halep previously admitted to having concerns about participating in the US Open.

    Reigning men's singles champion Rafael Nadal will not take part due to worries about COVID-19, while Roger Federer will miss out after undergoing knee surgery.

    Novak Djokovic is expected to make a definitive announcement on his participation this week.

  • Perez positive COVID-19 test hands Hulkenberg another Silverstone chance Perez positive COVID-19 test hands Hulkenberg another Silverstone chance

    Nico Hulkenberg will get another Formula One chance at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after Sergio Perez again tested positive for coronavirus.

    Racing Point called on Hulkenberg as a late replacement last week after Perez contracted COVID-19.

    Perez completed a week of quarantine and may have got back behind the wheel at Silverstone this weekend if he returned a negative test.

    The Mexican's test came back positive, though, so Hulkenberg will be given another chance, having been unable to make the grid last Sunday due to a clutch bolt issue with his car.

    Racing Point on Friday revealed Perez is "physically well and recovering" and will continue to follow Public Health England guidance.

    Hulkenberg said: "I'm excited to get going again with the team at Silverstone.

    "Last weekend, it was a real step into the unknown having been away from the team for a few years – and driving a car I'd never driven before.

    "I've learned a lot in the last week about the RP20, and I am ready to apply my experiences to this weekend. Racing at the same track again makes things a bit easier and the team has done a great job in helping me get up to speed.

    "I think we can fight for points this weekend, which is definitely my goal. I also want to wish Checo [Perez] all the best in his recovery."

    Hulkenberg missed out on an F1 seat for 2020 after he was replaced by Esteban Ocon at Renault.

  • Langer among Broncos trio stood down for COVID-19 protocol breaches Langer among Broncos trio stood down for COVID-19 protocol breaches

    Allan Langer is among three members of the Brisbane Broncos staff to be stood down for breaching coronavirus protocols.

    Langer, Ryan Whitley and Blake Duncan attended a private function in Brisbane and must undergo COVID-19 testing before being allowed to return to the bubble.

    The trio were not permitted to not travel for the Broncos' NRL clash with South Sydney Rabbitohs on Friday

    A Broncos statement said: "Three Broncos staff members will undergo COVID-19 testing after attending a private function in Brisbane.

    "The club became aware of the matter today [Friday] involving football staff Allan Langer, Ryan Whitley and Blake Duncan, and contacted the NRL immediately.

    "As a precaution, those staff have been placed on "COVID Holds", and will undergo testing before returning to the Project Apollo bubble.

    "To adhere to best practice, the staff members won’t travel for tonight's game in Sydney against the Rabbitohs."

    Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett and St George Illawarra Dragons prop Paul Vaughan were stood down on Thursday for breaching protocols.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.