NBA

Beal ruled out for Wizards ahead of NBA restart

By Sports Desk July 07, 2020

Bradley Beal will not play for the Washington Wizards when the 2019-20 NBA season resumes in Florida because of a right rotator cuff injury. 

Beal had been bothered by the injured shoulder since mid-January but had not missed any games before the season was halted because of the coronavirus pandemic in March. 

Wizards general manager Tommy Sheppard, however, said the team is worried that the guard will not be able to get back to full speed coming out of the lengthy stoppage and could suffer further damage.

"Bradley did everything possible to be ready to play, but after closely monitoring his individual workouts we came to the conclusion that it was best for him to sit out the upcoming games in Orlando and avoid the risk of further injury," Sheppard said.

"Although he was able to play through the majority of the season with the injury, the layoff from March until now did not leave any of us feeling comfortable that he would have enough time to be ready to perform at the extremely high level we are all accustomed to seeing and agreed that not participating in the games in Orlando was the right decision."

Beal was flourishing on the court before the season went on pause, averaging 35.5 points in his final 23 games – including back-to-back 50-point performances late in February.

His average of a career-best 30.5 points per game on the season trailed only the Houston Rockets' James Harden's scoring average of 34.4. 

"This was a difficult decision and one that I did not take lightly as the leader of this team," Beal said.

"I wanted to help my team-mates compete for a playoff spot in Orlando, but also understand that this will be best for all of us in the long term. I appreciate the support of my team-mates, the fans and the entire organization and look forward to returning next season to continue the progress we have made."

The Wizards had the Eastern Conference’s ninth-best record at 24-40 at the time the season went on pause, but were five and a half games back of the eighth-place Orlando Magic with only eight games to catch them in the NBA's restart at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex outside of Orlando. 

Related items

  • Curry talks Klay injury: The end for us? We're ready to chase the Lakers! Curry talks Klay injury: The end for us? We're ready to chase the Lakers!

    Steph Curry insists the Golden State Warriors are ready to adapt to their new role "chasing" the Los Angeles Lakers despite Klay Thompson's latest season-ending injury.

    The Warriors reached five straight NBA Finals between 2015 and 2019, winning three titles, but slumped to a 15-50 record at the bottom of the West in 2019-20.

    Golden State lost Thompson and Kevin Durant to long-term setbacks in their Finals defeat the previous season, before the latter departed for the Brooklyn Nets.

    Curry's own injuries limited him to just five games last term as Thompson sat out the entire season and the team suffered.

    The Warriors were expected to return to contention this season, challenging the champion Lakers, but Thompson will again be absent due to a major Achilles blow.

    Talk of writing off another campaign is premature, however, according to Curry.

    The two-time MVP told ESPN's The Undefeated: "We've been waiting seven months to get back out there.

    "Not seeing [Thompson] on the court, at first, is going to be weird. But I think we've done a really good job in the offseason with James [Wiseman, the second overall pick] and our draft picks and in the free agency pool to put together a really solid roster.

    "We're going to have to learn a lot really quickly, and we will need a full commitment from everybody.

    "We know we can compete with anyone in the league. It's kind of crazy. We know how great Klay is - don't get me wrong - but we hear the chatter. 'It's the end for us', 'This year is a wash', 'What are we going to do in the future?'.

    "But we are in the moment right now.

    "It's kind of refreshing being in that category as guys that are chasing. We know [the Lakers] are the defending champs. We've got to beat them. We're ready for it."

    Curry described news of Thompson's new injury as "a gut punch, for sure" and said it prompted "a lot of tears".

    But Golden State are hoping to eventually welcome back the five-time All-Star who Curry still considers the best shooting guard in the league.

    "He can come back strong. He's a guy that loves the game so much," Curry said. "He is going to do whatever it takes to get back out there on the floor and be himself.

    "That's what we hope and that's the confidence that we have. Two and a half years of rehab is tough for anybody. But we're hoping for the best."

  • DeMarcus Cousins reportedly agrees to deal with Rockets DeMarcus Cousins reportedly agrees to deal with Rockets

    DeMarcus Cousins has reportedly agreed to a one-year deal with the Houston Rockets.

    Hit by injuries in recent years, the four-time All-Star will try to revive his career in Houston, ESPN reported on Monday.

    Cousins, 30, has played just 78 regular-season and eight playoff games since the start of 2017-18 following numerous injuries.

    The center ruptured his left Achilles in early 2018 while with the New Orleans Pelicans before joining the Golden State Warriors later that year.

    Cousins tore his left quadriceps late in the 2018-19 season, but did return as the Warriors lost to the Toronto Raptors in the NBA Finals.

    He signed a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Lakers last year, but tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in August and was waived in February 2020.

    The Lakers went on to win the NBA championship last month.

    Cousins has averaged 21.2 points, 10.9 rebounds and 3.2 assists in the regular season during an NBA career that started with the Sacramento Kings in 2010.

    Houston have made the playoffs in eight consecutive seasons, but are seemingly set for a rebuild with James Harden and Russell Westbrook reportedly seeking trades.

  • Celtics' Tatum reportedly agrees to max extension worth up to $195m Celtics' Tatum reportedly agrees to max extension worth up to $195m

    Boston Celtics star Jayson Tatum has reportedly agreed a max rookie contract extension worth up to $195million.

    Tatum's new five-year, $163m deal in Boston could rise to almost $200m, according to ESPN.

    The 22-year-old – the third pick in the 2017 NBA Draft – led the Celtics to the Eastern Conference Finals last season, while earning his first All-Star appearance.

    It was a coming of age for Tatum in 2019-20, much to the delight of the Celtics and all those connected with the team.

    Tatum cemented himself as one of the best players in the league by averaging 23.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game – up on his 2018-19 averages of 15.7ppg, 6.0rpg and 2.1 apg.

    The Celtics forward also enjoyed a fine playoff campaign, becoming only the third player in NBA history to average 25.0-plus points, 10.0-plus rebounds and 5.0-plus assists per game in a single postseason with 15 or more games played.

    Los Angeles Lakers superstar LeBron James (in 2014-15 and 2019-20) and Boston's Larry Bird (in 1983-84 and 1986-87) are the only other players to reach the feat.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.