NBA

Coronavirus: Lakers' chances of NBA success higher after break – Davis

By Sports Desk July 02, 2020

Anthony Davis believes the Los Angeles Lakers have a higher chance of winning the NBA championship thanks to the coronavirus-enforced break.

The NBA season is set to resume on July 30 after the 2019-20 campaign was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic in March.

Orlando's Disney World complex will host 22 teams, with LeBron James' Lakers headlining the league's comeback against rivals the Los Angeles Clippers on July 30 after the New Orleans Pelicans face the Utah Jazz on the same day.

The Lakers topped the Western Conference with a 49-14 record prior to the COVID-19 crisis and All-Star Davis feels the storied Los Angeles franchise are primed to claim their first NBA ring since 2010.

"Actually, I think our chances are higher just because we're all rested and we're all ready to go," Davis told reporters via a videoconference call on Thursday.

"If anything, our chances got higher and it's going to be about just who wants it more."

Davis added: "It's been good for me to kind of let some of them lingering injuries I had towards the time when the NBA stopped to kind of recover and heal and get back into the best version of myself.

"I feel 100 per cent healthy. Well, I don't feel, I am [100 per cent healthy]. I feel like I'm ready. Ready to go."

The Lakers had gone 8-2 after the All-Star break, with James and team-mate Davis leading the way.

Davis was averaging 26.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 3.1 assists, 2.4 blocks and 1.5 steals per game prior to the postponement.

Lakers head coach Frank Vogel said: "[When] you're on the floor, you have an opportunity to grow and your team has an opportunity to grow.

"When we get to Orlando, it'll be the next step in that process and his journey in this season as a Laker. We look forward to seeing – hopefully the best is yet to come."

Related items

  • Perez positive COVID-19 test hands Hulkenberg another Silverstone chance Perez positive COVID-19 test hands Hulkenberg another Silverstone chance

    Nico Hulkenberg will get another Formula One chance at the 70th Anniversary Grand Prix after Sergio Perez again tested positive for coronavirus.

    Racing Point called on Hulkenberg as a late replacement last week after Perez contracted COVID-19.

    Perez completed a week of quarantine and may have got back behind the wheel at Silverstone this weekend if he returned a negative test.

    The Mexican's test came back positive, though, so Hulkenberg will be given another chance, having been unable to make the grid last Sunday due to a clutch bolt issue with his car.

    Racing Point on Friday revealed Perez is "physically well and recovering" and will continue to follow Public Health England guidance.

    Hulkenberg said: "I'm excited to get going again with the team at Silverstone.

    "Last weekend, it was a real step into the unknown having been away from the team for a few years – and driving a car I'd never driven before.

    "I've learned a lot in the last week about the RP20, and I am ready to apply my experiences to this weekend. Racing at the same track again makes things a bit easier and the team has done a great job in helping me get up to speed.

    "I think we can fight for points this weekend, which is definitely my goal. I also want to wish Checo [Perez] all the best in his recovery."

    Hulkenberg missed out on an F1 seat for 2020 after he was replaced by Esteban Ocon at Renault.

  • Langer among Broncos trio stood down for COVID-19 protocol breaches Langer among Broncos trio stood down for COVID-19 protocol breaches

    Allan Langer is among three members of the Brisbane Broncos staff to be stood down for breaching coronavirus protocols.

    Langer, Ryan Whitley and Blake Duncan attended a private function in Brisbane and must undergo COVID-19 testing before being allowed to return to the bubble.

    The trio were not permitted to not travel for the Broncos' NRL clash with South Sydney Rabbitohs on Friday

    A Broncos statement said: "Three Broncos staff members will undergo COVID-19 testing after attending a private function in Brisbane.

    "The club became aware of the matter today [Friday] involving football staff Allan Langer, Ryan Whitley and Blake Duncan, and contacted the NRL immediately.

    "As a precaution, those staff have been placed on "COVID Holds", and will undergo testing before returning to the Project Apollo bubble.

    "To adhere to best practice, the staff members won’t travel for tonight's game in Sydney against the Rabbitohs."

    Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett and St George Illawarra Dragons prop Paul Vaughan were stood down on Thursday for breaching protocols.

     

  • Rivers eager to see Clippers fighting fit Rivers eager to see Clippers fighting fit

    Doc Rivers is eager to see his title-chasing Los Angeles Clippers side at full strength before the NBA playoffs get under way.

    The Clippers, who sit second in the Western Conference, overcame the Dallas Mavericks 126-111 on Thursday, with just four games left before the postseason campaign begins. 

    However, Rivers is having to make do without the likes of Montrezl Harrell and Patrick Beverley and he wants his high-flying squad fighting fit for the business end of the season.

    Asked where his team are at on a scale of one to 10, coach Rivers said: "That's a good question. I don't know, six or seven.

    "We still have Trez [Harrell] out. We still have several guys that have minute restrictions that put a major problem on us, especially with guards. We still have Pat out."

    Injury and illness have been a running theme of the Clippers' season since NBA action resumed, with Ivica Zubac and Landry Shamet having revealed they tested positive for coronavirus.

    Indeed, Rivers suggested there had only been three instances when his whole team practiced together.

    "I think it's been three with the entire group," he explained.

    "It would be nice to have a stretch where our whole team was available, practicing and playing.

    "But we haven't had that all year. It's been amazing. We just got to keep rolling."

    Kawhi Leonard was the star in the Clippers' win over the Mavericks, scoring 29 points. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.