Zone Blitz: Are Barcelona doing the right thing by trying to re-sign Neymar?

By George Davis, Mariah Ramharack&Lance Whittaker July 18, 2019

It's said you should never go back to your ex but Barcelona and Neymar could be a re-marriage made in heaven.

Related items

  • Rodri can play in same Spain midfield as Busquets – Moreno Rodri can play in same Spain midfield as Busquets – Moreno

    Rodri could partner Sergio Busquets in a two-man midfield for Spain because of his "incredibly quality", according to national team boss Robert Moreno.

    Manchester City's club-record signing has adjusted well since moving to the Etihad Stadium, starting the club's opening two Premier League matches.

    The 23-year-old honed his playmaking abilities at LaLiga sides Villarreal and Atletico Madrid, with Rodri now considered a potential long-term national team successor to 31-year-old Barcelona mainstay Busquets.

    Although they perform similar roles at club level, Spain boss Moreno thinks the deep-lying pair could work in the same side.

    "Of course, if there is a match in which we consider that the opponent is good in the air, or that we need more physical players we will try, without losing our identity, to include the players that can improve us in that department," Moreno told El Pais.

    "I think we now have players that have many characteristics.

    "Rodri has incredible quality, but Fabian [Ruiz] too.

    "We have Koke and Saul [Niguez], who were not part of the squad last time, but who can give us that touch football and also that aggressiveness they have with [Diego Simeone]. We also like to have that.

    "Simeone's style, while not being the football that I propose, I love it."

    Spain return to Euro 2020 qualifying action next month with games against Romania and Faroe Islands.

    Moreno took charge on a permanent basis in June after Luis Enrique stepped down for family reasons.

  • Rumour Has It: Barcelona prepare fresh Neymar offer as Paris Saint-Germain line up Dybala Rumour Has It: Barcelona prepare fresh Neymar offer as Paris Saint-Germain line up Dybala

    Will they, or won't they?

    Barcelona are trying to re-sign wantaway Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar before the transfer window closes on September 2.

    LaLiga rivals Real Madrid are also interested, so this is set to go down to the wire.

     

    TOP STORY – BARCA RENEWING NEYMAR EFFORTS

    According to Sport, Barcelona are preparing a fresh offer to prise Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain.

    Barcelona have already reportedly had an initial loan deal turned down by PSG, who are determined to recoup the world-record €222million fee they spent on Neymar in 2017.

    Real Madrid, however, are still said to be determined to trump Barca to the signing of the Brazilian forward.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Should Neymar be granted his wish to leave PSG, the Ligue 1 holders are reportedly considering a move for Juventus forward Paulo Dybala. That is according to Tuttosport, after Dybala had been linked to Manchester United and Tottenham prior to the Premier League's transfer window closing.

    - Marca also reports goalkeeper Keylor Navas is close to leaving Real Madrid for PSG. Navas wants out after reportedly being told he will be Thibaut Courtois' understudy this season.

    Manchester United will not make an offer for Fernando Llorente, according to the Daily Mail. Llorente is a free agent after leaving Tottenham and reports in Italy linked the Spaniard to Old Trafford following Romelu Lukaku's move to Inter. However, the Red Devils are reportedly not interested in the veteran.

    Inter are close to signing full-back Cristiano Biraghi from Serie A rivals Fiorentina, reports Calciomercato. Biraghi was part of Inter's youth academy before moving on to the likes of Cittadella, Pescara and Fiorentina. Inter are said to be looking to include Dalbert in a swap deal for the Italy international.

    Inter and United are continuing talks over Alexis Sanchez, claim Sky Sport Italia and Sportitalia. More discussions are reportedly planned, with United wanting Inter to cover more of the Chilean's salary during the proposed loan spell.

    - According to The Telegraph, Leicester City midfielder Adrien Silva is poised to return to Monaco on loan. The Portugal international spent the second half of the 2018-19 season on loan at the Ligue 1 side. It comes after Sky Sport Italia reports AC Milan and Franck Kessie rejected Monaco's proposal for the midfielder.

    Roma are weighing up a move for Atletico Madrid striker Nikola Kalinic, says Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio. After re-signing Edin Dzeko, Roma are reportedly considering Atletico fringe figure Kalinic if Patrik Schick and Gregoire Defrel leave.

  • Cornwall omission could come back to haunt West Indies - Jack Mathew Cornwall omission could come back to haunt West Indies - Jack Mathew
© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.