NBA

Rozier 'might have to go' if Celtics roster is the same

By Sports Desk May 14, 2019

Terry Rozier admitted he was unhappy with the Boston Celtics' season and suggested he will look to leave if there are not changes.

Now that Boston is out of the playoffs, Rozier has been vocal about how the discord within the team ultimately led to their downfall.

While appearing on ESPN on Tuesday, the 25-year-old was asked if he would return to the team if the roster remained the same.

"No, I might have to go," Rozier said while laughing at the question.

"I put up with a lot this year, so, you know, I said what I said after the season [and] I think we all know that I'm not trying to step into that again."

Rozier also discussed how adding Kyrie Irving to the rotation made things "difficult" for the Celtics.

Boston reached the Eastern Conference Finals last year but fell at the Semifinal stage this time around, with Rozier sensing the writing was on the wall early on in the season.

"Once you [have] seen all the talent we have, all the pieces, guys trying to figure out their role and guys do less of what would've helped this team win... you kind of see that the first five games of the season," he said.

When asked how Irving's presence specifically impacted the team, Rozier was clear about how it was not a smooth transition.

"I feel like it was very difficult," Rozier said of adjusting to Irving.

"I think anybody that was in my shoes that can go and start and go to Game 7 in the Eastern Conference Finals then come back and have the season that we have this year, I feel like anyone in my position would say it's tough."

While Rozier did call Irving a "great leader", he felt he had a "my way or the highway" mentality.

"I think guys [were] getting it, especially toward the end of the season," Rozier said of the adjustment.

"But I got to say, we [would] come into the game and it would be a different game plan than what we kind of expected and what we went through in practice."

Restricted free agent Rozier added that he was not sure what the future has in store for him.

"I'm looking forward to just playing ball," he said.

"I don't care where I go... I expect for me to get my chance, whether it's with the Celtics or anywhere else. I can be myself and play my game wherever I go."

Related items

  • Australia's first victory over Team USA can be a building block - Mills Australia's first victory over Team USA can be a building block - Mills

    Australia beat the United States for the first time in history in Melbourne on Saturday and Patty Mills hopes the Boomers can build something special from the landmark achievement.

    Team USA won the first exhibition 102-86 at Marvel Stadium on Thursday, but the hosts responded with a 98-94 victory in front of 52,079 fans two days later.

    Australia came from 10 points down in the second half, with San Antonio Spurs guard Mills scoring 30 – including the last 10 for the Boomers – to see out a historic triumph.

    "It's a building block for us. We've been taking it step by step and understanding that this is process. But it's good to get everyone back and get everyone on the floor," said Mills in an on-court interview.

    "This is just one step towards our progress and ultimate goal of creating history and winning a medal, so we're locked in on that focus for sure.

    "The support has been amazing. We've been through a lot of adversity as a team, as a programme.

    "We're very proud to represent these colours and represent them the right way and we're doing it as a team, as a group, as best mates."

    Kemba Walker scored 22 points off the bench for Gregg Popovich's USA side, while Harrison Barnes had 20 points and six rebounds in 26 minutes.

    Team USA conclude their tour in Sydney on Sunday when they face Canada, who will meet Australia in their FIBA World Cup opener in China on September 1.

  • Kings coach Luke Walton cleared in sexual assault investigation Kings coach Luke Walton cleared in sexual assault investigation

    The Sacramento Kings and NBA announced on Friday they have cleared coach Luke Walton after a four-month investigation into allegations of sexual assault and harassment.

    Kelli Tennant, a former Spectrum SportsNet reporter, sued Walton on April 22, accusing him of sexual assault, verbal and physical harassment and unwanted physical contact over a three-year period.

    A day later, Tennant held a press conference and recounted an alleged incident at a Los Angeles hotel in 2014 during which, she said, Walton pinned her to a bed.

    At the time of the alleged incident Walton was an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors.Tennant's lawsuit and news conference came only a week after he was named the Kings head coach.

    Her allegations prompted the NBA and Kings to launch a joint investigation. Almost two-dozen people were interviewed during the investigation, but despite "repeated attempts" to interview Tennant, she did not participate on the advice of her legal team, according to an NBA statement.

    The statement read: "Based on this and the available evidence, the investigators determined that there was not a sufficient basis to support the allegations made against Coach Walton."

    Tennant's civil suit is believed to still be active. Tennant's attorney, Garo Mardirossian of Los Angeles, did not immediately respond to a request for comment by the Sacramento Bee.

    Walton, who coached the Los Angeles Lakers for three seasons before parting ways with the team in April, takes over a Kings club that finished 39-43 last season.

    "I am 100 per cent focused on coaching the Sacramento Kings and energised to work with this incredible group of players and coaches as we start this preseason," Walton said in a statement on Friday. "I will have no further comment."

    "Luke Walton is our head coach and we support him and his team as they continue to prepare for the upcoming season," the Kings said in a statement.

  • Timberwolves need Wiggins 'to be a main contributor' – Rosas Timberwolves need Wiggins 'to be a main contributor' – Rosas

    The Minnesota Timberwolves need Andrew Wiggins to be more consistent, according to president of basketball operations Gersson Rosas.

    Wiggins signed a five-year, $146.5million extension with the Timberwolves in October 2017, but the 24-year-old regressed over the last two NBA seasons. 

    Rosas was asked about Wiggins – the 2015 Rookie of the Year – and his development during an appearance at the Minnesota State Fair on Thursday.

    "Andrew in particular with his talent and physical abilities, the potential he's shown, we've got to get that on a more consistent basis," Rosas told the Star Tribune. 

    "He's focused on it as well. In order for us to have the success we want to have, he's got to be a main contributor. He understands that, we understand that."

    The Timberwolves acquired Wiggins from the Cleveland Cavaliers before his rookie season as the centrepiece of the Kevin Love trade.

    Wiggins averaged 18.1 points and 4.8 rebounds while shooting a career-low 41.2 per cent from the field in 2018-19.

    Rosas thinks Wiggins will benefit from playing under Ryan Saunders, who was named the Timberwolves head coach after serving in an interim role to end last season. 

    "To be fair to [Wiggins], he needs some continuity in terms of coaching, philosophy, strategy and style of play," Rosas said. "We think he's going to be one of the better beneficiaries of this style of play.

    "His physical tools, talent and skill. We do feel there's a lot of upside for him. He's worked very hard this summer. He's been committed to everything that we've done."

    The Timberwolves finished 2018-19 with a 36-46 record and missed the playoffs.

     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.