MLS

Messi to Inter Miami? Club co-owner 'optimistic' about future deal

By Sports Desk June 10, 2021

Lionel Messi could spend the latter days of his career at Inter Miami in Major League Soccer – at least, the club's co-owner is "optimistic" such a deal could be arranged.

Messi's future has been shrouded in uncertainly for the best part of a year, with the six-time Ballon d'Or winner attempting to force a departure from Barcelona last August.

While that did not come to fruition, with Messi unwilling to drag the club through the courts in an attempt to exercise an apparent get-out clause, his future has been a constant source of speculation through 2020-21 due to his contract expiring at the end of June.

Barca president Joan Laporta said this month that contract discussions were going well, with Messi seemingly happier at the club since the October resignation of Josep Maria Bartomeu and the previous board.

Although a move to Miami would seem unlikely at this juncture regardless of Messi's relationship with Barca, Jorge Mas, co-owner of the MLS side, sees no reason why an agreement would not be possible in the future.

"I am optimistic Messi will play in an Inter Miami shirt because I think it will complete the legacy of the greatest player in our generation and will meet with the ambitions of the owners of Inter Miami to build a world-class team," Mas told the Miami Herald.

Former Real Madrid, Manchester United and England star David Beckham is among the others to own a share of the MLS franchise and also serves as its president.

Mas says he and Beckham have certain ambitions regarding the calibre of player they want to see in Florida, and someone of Messi's reputation fits the bill.

He added: "David and I have been working really hard, we have aspirations of bringing the best players here and Messi is a generational player, arguably the best player of all time."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Madrid hope to sign Mbappe after Euro 2020, Ronaldo's future undecided Rumour Has It: Madrid hope to sign Mbappe after Euro 2020, Ronaldo's future undecided

    Kylian Mbappe has long been linked with a blockbuster move to Real Madrid.

    Mbappe is out of contract at the end of next season and is yet to re-sign in Paris.

    Madrid are reportedly preparing their next steps in an attempt to recruit the France international.

     

    TOP STORY – MADRID STEPPING UP MBAPPE INTEREST

    Real Madrid are hoping to sign Paris Saint-Germain star Kylian Mbappe after Euro 2020, according to the front page of Friday's Marca.

    Marca detail Madrid's timetable to prise Mbappe from PSG in the report, with Los Blancos focusing on a post-European Championship transfer.

    Mbappe – also linked with Liverpool – is out of contract at the end of the 2021-22 season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Cristiano Ronaldo's future remains undecided and it is blocking Juventus' plans in the transfer market, according to Tuttosport and Corriere dello Sport. Ronaldo has been linked with PSG and Manchester United as Juve eye Sassuolo midfielder Manuel Locatelli.

    - The Sun claims Jack Grealish's agent expects the Aston Villa captain to join Premier League champions Manchester City. The England international has previously been linked with United, who are believed to be closing in on a deal to sign Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho.

    Arsenal are nearing a deal to sign Brighton and Hove Albion defender Ben White, reports Goal. Brighton are demanding around £50million for the England international, who has also reportedly attracted interest from United and Liverpool.

    - Sampdoria midfielder Mikkel Damsgaard is wanted by Barcelona, Milan and Tottenham, says Marca and Sport.

    Milan and Inter are both looking to sign Barca goalkeeper Neto, according to Sport. Neto has served as a backup to Marc-Andre ter Stegen.

    - Tuttosport reports Inter have opened negotiations with Sassuolo for Giacomo Raspadori, while the Serie A champions are also interested in Lazio's Manuel Lazzari.

  • Madrid president Perez unsure of Varane's future amid Man Utd links, refuses to discuss Mbappe and Haaland Madrid president Perez unsure of Varane's future amid Man Utd links, refuses to discuss Mbappe and Haaland

    Real Madrid president Florentino Perez is unsure of Raphael Varane's future at the LaLiga giants amid ongoing links with Manchester United, while he refused to discuss reported transfer targets Kylian Mbappe and Erling Haaland.

    United have long been linked with Varane and the Premier League powerhouse are reportedly determined to prise the French centre-back from the Santiago Bernabeu this off-season in attempt to bolster their defence.

    Chelsea and Manchester City are also believed to be interested in the 28-year-old, who has won four Champions League titles and three LaLiga trophies since moving to Madrid in 2011.

    Perez was asked about Varane's future on Thursday and he told Onda Cero's El Transistor program: "I don't know what will happen with Varane.

    "He's in the Euro's now and we will talk to him when he returns.

    "We haven't received any offer for Varane. If he wants to leave, he'll say it."

    It is an off-season of change for Madrid, who have already farewelled head coach Zinedine Zidane and superstar captain Sergio Ramos, with Carlo Ancelotti returning to the dugout.

    Paris Saint-Germain's Mbappe and Borussia Dortmund sensation Haaland are reportedly high on Madrid's list of targets after being dethroned by bitter rivals Atletico Madrid in 2020-21.

    But Perez said: "Mbappe? He's not a Real Madrid player so I cannot talk about him. I know what the fans want. We are working on a rebuild.

    "You all know who I am. You know what I can do. The people trust me because they know what I can do. They know I bring the best players in the world.

    "Mbappe is a PSG player and that must be respected, you know I cannot talk about him. I won't talk about Mbappe and Haaland."

  • UWI pulls out of Jamaica Premier League (JPL) ahead of new season UWI pulls out of Jamaica Premier League (JPL) ahead of new season

    UWI FC has opted out of the Jamaica Premier League (JPL) ahead of the new season, Dean of the Faculty of Sports, Dr Akshai Mansingh, confirmed earlier this week.

    With the competition scheduled to get underway this weekend, Mansingh pointed to a number of issues relating to the timing of the league and the availability of members of the UWI team.  The players are scholarship athletes and are currently on summer holidays.

     Mansingh also pointed out that the extended delay to the start of the league had severely impacted the university financially.  As part of its preparation, the team housed athletes on campus, allowing for small group training in order to build team chemistry and strengthen relationships with the coaches.

    However, the administrator went on to explain that the university follows strict guidelines regarding the semester system, and unfortunately, they have now come to the end of the academic year.

    Mansingh further clarified that the university’s objectives were different from the remaining teams in the Premier League.  He said that the priority of the University is to offer students the best opportunity to excel at sports and in so doing represent the UWI.  Members of the team must be university students.

    Mansingh insisted that the university would prefer to play in the JPL but would not sacrifice the principles of being a university team in order to be one with just its name.  The UWI FC were promoted to the league in 2015 and have since done well for themselves.

    Chairman of the Professional Football Jamaica Limited (PFJL), Chris Williams, said that sincere efforts were made to ensure that UWI had remained a part of the JPL.

     


     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.