Former Reggae Boy, Dunbeholden FC midfielder Tremaine Stewart collapses and dies

By April 18, 2021

Team manager Paul Christie said he was rendered speechless by news of the sudden death of Dunbeholden FC midfielder Tremaine’s Stewart this morning.

Unconfirmed reports said the former Reggae Boy was playing a ‘corner league’ match early in Portmore, St. Catherine, this morning when he collapsed a short time after taking the field.

Stewart, 33, joined Premier League outfit Dunbeholden FC in September 2020 but was not able to play for the club because the season was cancelled because of the Covid-19 pandemic. However, according to the manager, his impact was already being felt by the club, whose head coach was convinced that with him, Dunbeholden would win the Jamaica Premier League once the Jamaican government allowed play to resume.

“This one has me searching for words,” said Christie, who confirmed that he had received word that the player had collapsed this morning and subsequently died in hospital.

“He was like the leader we were searching for all along. The players wanted to play with him. (In training) when you put him on the ‘B’ side they would win, when he is on the ‘A’ side, its carnage. They would win by five, six, seven, eight goals.

“The coach said all we had to do was keep him happy and healthy and we would win the Premier League.”

Christie said Stewart always led by example. He would always be at training early and the “players had so much respect for him. He was not a prima donna.”

Stewart began his professional career playing for August Town from 2006 to 2008. He had two stints playing for Portmore United (2008-2012) and again in 2016. He also played for Waterhouse from 2014-2015 before leaving for the Finnish club Rovaniemen Palloseura.

He also had a stint at Norwegian Club Aalesund.

Stewart, known to his friends as ‘Tan Tan’ made 12 appearances for the Reggae Boyz, scoring two goals.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Zidane vows Real Madrid will 'go to the end' in LaLiga title race Zidane vows Real Madrid will 'go to the end' in LaLiga title race

    Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane says his side will go until the final minute in the LaLiga title race after closing within two points of leaders Atletico Madrid on Thursday.

    Madrid won 4-1 away to Granada to keep the pressure on the leaders with games to go, while moving ahead of third-placed Barcelona who are a further two points back after their 3-3 draw at Levante earlier in the week.

    Atletico remain in the box seat to clinch their first LaLiga title since 2013-14, but Zidane's side remain in the hunt should there be any slip-ups.

    "We'll keep going; there are two games left and we'll go to the end, until the final minute, we'll give it our all," Zidane said post-game.

    Atletico's final two league games are at home to 11th-placed Osasuna and away to 18th-placed Valladolid, while Real go to ninth-placed Athletic Bilbao and host seventh-placed Villarreal on the final day.

    Madrid are unbeaten in their last 16 games in LaLiga (W11 D5), the best current unbeaten run in the competition. In addition, Los Blancos have equalled their best unbeaten run in a single league campaign under Zidane, achieved in 2016-17 (P16 W12 D4).

    Zidane was delighted with the win at Granada which loomed as a tricky assignment in the run home.

    "It's not just about the goals," the Frenchman said. "We played very well, defensively too.

    "We started the game very well, it was a complete performance. I say that because at 2-1 we didn't let our intensity drop, we scored again quickly and that shows our character.

    "Thibaut [Courtois] made two or three saves, as he has been doing lately, but it's all good. In general terms it was a good win against a decent side at a tough place to come, because Granada are a side who have had a fantastic year."

    Marvin was substituted at half-time after a hamstring issue, while Marcelo did not play due to a minor injury concern as Zidane fielded his youngest starting XI all season.

    "Marvin picked up a knock. I hope it's nothing serious but yes, he felt something in his hamstring," Zidane said.

    "Marcelo didn't play because of an injury and we didn't want to take any risks, as always. The injury is the reason why he didn't come with us."

  • Bailey set to be out of action for Leverkusen after injuring toe Bailey set to be out of action for Leverkusen after injuring toe

    Bayer Leverkusen winger and Jamaica international Leon Bailey could be set for a spell on the sideline after sustaining a toe injury against Werder Bremen last weekend.

    The 23-year-old suffered the injury after a collision early in the match but played until halftime before he was withdrawn.  Bailey, who it is feared might have suffered a fractured toe, did not take part in the team’s training session on Wednesday.

    Leverkusen will be looking to secure UEFA Europa League qualification at home to Union Berlin on Saturday.  Should he be unable to take the field, the Jamaican will be a major miss, particularly given his form at home this season. 

    Bailey has scored five goals in the last two home games.  Leverkusen have won all three of their fixtures at the Bay Arena under interim coach Hannes Wolf.  Bailey, who was also not called to the Jamaica national team, for its friendlies next month due to a contractual issue, has played eight times for the country since making his debut in 2019.

  • 'We reacted really well' - Klopp hails Liverpool after comeback Manchester United win 'We reacted really well' - Klopp hails Liverpool after comeback Manchester United win

    Jurgen Klopp hailed Liverpool's reaction to the concession of an early goal after they came from behind to beat Manchester United 4-2 at Old Trafford.

    The Reds looked set for another disappointing visit to the home of their bitter rivals when Bruno Fernandes opened the scoring after just 10 minutes on Thursday evening.

    But goals from Diogo Jota and Mohamed Salah either side of a Roberto Firmino brace rendered a further Marcus Rashford effort irrelevant and handed Liverpool their first Old Trafford win since 2014.

    And it was the mental strength shown in the aftermath of the early setback that most pleased Klopp.

    He told Sky Sports: "We reacted really well on their goal, it was unlucky in that moment but it was a bit like we started the game to be honest. 

    "The defending in that moment, letting Bruno, half right side, coming inside - there was nobody. 

    "He could have used his left, could've used the outside of his right foot and it was unlucky in the centre but the defending in that moment wasn't good. 

    "They overloaded the wings obviously and we didn't adapt well to that in the first 15 minutes or so. 

    "Then we got control and from that moment on we could play what we want to play. That was absolutely okay and second half even better.

    "Great fight, good game, intense, how a derby should be, and since I'm at Liverpool the first win at Old Trafford. 

    "Good timing, I would say! We needed it, we fought hard for it, we deserved it and so all good."

    Chelsea's defeat to Arsenal on Wednesday opened the door for Liverpool to claim a place in the Champions League spots with four wins from their last four games of this season.

    But, while it is one down as far as that aim is concerned, Klopp is expecting the remaining three Premier League fixtures to throw up plenty of challenges.

    "It was necessary. Without this result we don't have to talk too much about it," he added.

    "We are still in the race, that's all that we could have done tonight, we did that and now we have a very intense period playing the next three games in a week.

    "In three days West Brom, Burnley with supporters, and then Crystal Palace at home, which we are looking forward to for different reasons because our supporters are there then hopefully.

    "We have to recover quickly and to go again."

    If there was one small blot on a good evening for Liverpool, it was an apparent spat between Klopp and substitute Sadio Mane at full-time.

    Asked about the Senegalese's refusal to acknowledge his manager when leaving the pitch, he said: "There's no problem. 

    "Yesterday I made a late decision in training to decide Diogo. I explain things usually but there was no time for that.

    "That's all. It's all fine."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.