St Lucia's govt. concerned over withdrawal of team from WC qualifiers, denies it turned down requests for players to train

By March 25, 2021

The Lucian Government has expressed its disappointment and concern regarding the circumstances surrounding the decision of the St Lucia Football Association (SLFA) to withdraw from the 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

While making it clear that they could not interfere with the workings of the SLFA, the government also refuted claims allegedly made by the federation that they denied requests from the federation for permission that would have allowed the national team to train during the ongoing pandemic.

Sportsmax.TV reported earlier this week that St Lucia would not be taking part in the CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers that began yesterday. The Piton Boyz were scheduled to play Nicaragua in Nicaragua and then Haiti on March 28.

Local-based players in St Lucia led by midfielder Zaine Pierre marched on the headquarters of the federation on Wednesday calling for the resignation of SLFA President Lyndon Cooper, who they said had no intention of having St Lucia play in the qualifiers suggesting that the team was not good enough.

However, in a lengthy statement released today from the Office of Prime Minister Alan Chastanet, the government made its position known.

“The Government of Saint Lucia is disappointed by reports that Saint Lucia has withdrawn from the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, a decision taken without any consultation with the Ministry of Youth Development and Sports by the St. Lucia Football Association (SLFA),” the statement said while indicating that they invested heavily in infrastructure specifically for the effort to qualify for the World Cup in Qatar next year.

“The Government of Saint Lucia through its Sports Infrastructure Program made it a priority to upgrade the Soufriere Mini Stadium to host World Cup qualifiers and the Government of Saint Lucia is clear and unambiguous in its commitment to upgrade facilities for this particular objective.”

The players also claimed that the beleaguered president said the federation was denied permission from the government to convene training camps in preparation for the qualifiers.

The St Lucian Government said that was not true.

“The Government of Saint Lucia is further concerned about reports that the “authorities” turned down requests for special training permissions for a national football team. The Government can confirm that we have no record of a request being made by the SLFA to have a team train for World Cup Qualifiers. Neither the Ministry of Youth Development and Sports nor the Office of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) has received such a request,” the statement said.

“Despite the fact that high contact sports are not allowed under the current Covid-19 protocols due to the high risk the Government has made special provisions for national athletes and this is reflected in the legislation.

“The Government of Saint Lucia, through the Ministry of Health, recently facilitated training for Platinum FC from Vieux Fort South who are due to travel in April for a tournament in Curacao. The Government will also be assisting with the vaccination of these footballers and team members. The Ministry of Health has also facilitated some netballers and other athletes who requested one-on-one training or training with strict protocols.”

The government said the Football Association would engage with the Ministry of Youth Development and Sports and local footballers to resolve the matter.

“We look forward to the full clarification from the Saint Lucia Football Association as to the reasons for Saint Lucia’s withdrawal,” it said.

“The Government of Saint Lucia has made significant investments in sports in Saint Lucia, including football, with the establishment of the Sports Academy and the upgrading of all our sporting facilities in order to attract regional and international tournaments.

“The Government will continue to do all it can to facilitate the advancement of our athletes and Saint Lucia as a leader in sports. The Government sees the participation in activities such as World Cup Qualifiers as critical to the development of sports and has done all in its power to facilitate the involvement of our athletes.”

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Sammy becomes Cricket West Indies board member Sammy becomes Cricket West Indies board member

    Former West Indies captain Darren Sammy has been appointed as a member of the Cricket West Indies (CWI) board after recently being confirmed as an independent non-member director.

    The 37-year-old Sammy led the regional team to the T20 World title in 2012 and 2016, memorably criticising the then administration after claiming the latter title.

    Earlier this year, Sammy stepped aside from Caribbean Premier League (CPL) team St Lucia Zouks, moving behind the scenes to become a T20 cricket consultant and brand ambassador.  He is also the current head coach of Pakistan Super League (PSL) team Peshawar Zalmi.

    According to Cricket West Indies (CWI), it is hoped the appointment of the former captain will provide a fresh and youthful perspective to some of the challenges faced by the board.

    “I am delighted to welcome Daren Sammy as an independent, non-member Director whose role will be to ensure that all the right questions are being asked while contributing to the shaping of new ideas and solutions. Daren’s fairly recent experience as a two-time World Cup-winning captain will bring with him a much-needed modern-day cricketer’s perspective, which should add valuable insights to Board discussions and decision-making. His appointment is testament to our commitment to strengthen CWI’s governance, and to utilize expertise from across all stakeholder groups,” CWI president Ricky Skerritt said.

    For his part, Sammy expressed delight with the opportunity to continue playing an active role in West Indies cricket.

    “It is an honour to be appointed as a CWI Director; this is another great opportunity for me to give my best to West Indies cricket in a new way, off the field. All my local, regional, and international experiences have prepared me to make a significant ongoing impact in West Indies cricket. I am excited and thankful for the chance to serve and look forward to giving back to the sport and region that I love so much,” Sammy said.

    Sammy is one of three appointed Independent Directors approved at last Thursday’s CWI Board of Directors’ meeting.  The appointees will serve for the next two years. He joins Trinidadian Attorney Mrs. Debra Coryat-Patton and Jamaican Surgeon and University Administrator, Dr. Akshai Mansingh, who were both re-appointed to serve a second term.

  • 'I just didn't get any runs, full stop' - WI opener Brathwaite insists burden of captaincy not cause of poor showing 'I just didn't get any runs, full stop' - WI opener Brathwaite insists burden of captaincy not cause of poor showing

    West Indies captain, Kraigg Brathwaite, has insisted the responsibility of leading the team has not had a negative impact on his batting performances in the recently concluded series against South Africa.

    Brathwaite, who took over as captain of the team from Jason Holder in February, had his worst performance at the top of the order for some time, albeit against a rampant South Africa.

    In two matches, the 28-year-old batsman could only manage a high score of 15 and in total scored 28 runs, which included an early duck in the first innings of the second match.  Prior to heading into the series, Brathwaite had averaged 33.43, including scores of 126 and 85 against Sri Lanka in the previous series.

    The batsman has, however, rejected notions of added responsibility for the team impacting his performance at the crease.

    “I’m not feeling any pressure.  I enjoy captaining.  I didn’t get any runs as the opening batsman, I just didn’t get any runs full stop,” Brathwaite told members of the media.

    The player has targeted looking at a few technical issues and better mental preparation ahead of the next series.

    “Opening the batting isn’t easy, but it’s a very crucial job because it basically sets up the game to make it easier for guys that follow and we didn’t do that and it put us on the backfoot for most of the time,” he added.

     

     

     

  • 'We are sorry!" Captain Kraigg Brathwaite says the batsmen let the team down in 2-0 whitewash 'We are sorry!" Captain Kraigg Brathwaite says the batsmen let the team down in 2-0 whitewash

    “We are sorry!”

    Those were the words of Captain Kraigg Brathwaite after the West Indies humiliating 158-run defeat to South Africa inside four days at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St Lucia on Monday.

    The West Indies, resuming from their overnight score of 15 without loss in pursuit of 324, were bundled out for 165 thanks mainly to the bowling of left-arm spinner Keshav Maharaj, who took 5-36, including a hat-trick that saw the home side slide from 104-3 to 104-6.

    Kagiso Rabada was also among the wickets, taking 3-44 as the West Indies batting one man short, fell for 165.

    Kieran Powell, who scored 51, Kyle Mayers 34 and Kemar Roach and Jermaine Blackwood, who scored 27 and 25, respectively got into double figures.

    Brathwaite, who made scores of 0 and 6, laid the blame squarely at the feet of the batsmen, himself included, for the poor performance of the team who did not score more than 170 runs in any of their four innings. The batting was especially embarrassing coming off much better performances against Bangladesh in Bangladesh and the home series against Sri Lanka earlier this year.

    In the first Test, the West Indies had scores of 97 and 162 and followed those weak scores with 149 and 165 in the second Test capitulation. Confronted with that reality in the post-match media conference, the disappointed captain could not hide from the truth.

    “As batsmen, we know we went wrong. We didn’t bat well,” said Brathwaite, who revealed that they had planned to bat better and having consistent partnerships during the series against the South African bowling attack but said they have to come back better for the next series.

    “We are very sorry. Obviously, the fans look forward to the West Indies doing well and we were disappointing,” he said.

    “Sometimes it’s not about winning but you still want to see the fight and we didn’t show the fans that fight. Myself included, we have to come back better and make the fans proud.”

     

     

     

     

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.