An 'excited' Michail Antonio has begun process to obtain Jamaican passport - Ricketts

By March 01, 2021

An excited Michail Antonio has begun the process of applying for his Jamaican passport and is eager to represent the country of his parents’ birth, Jamaica Football Federation President Michael Ricketts told Sportsmax.TV this morning.

The 30-year-old West Ham forward, whose parents are Jamaican, is expected to join the Reggae Boyz sometime during the coming months and it is hoped that he will be available to represent Jamaica by later this year.

Ricketts told Sportsmax.TV that he met with the player and his agent yesterday and that they have put the documentation together to help to expedite the process for Antonio to acquire his Jamaican passport. Once he has his passport in hand, the JFF can make the application for the player’s transfer of allegiance.

Ricketts said the player is so excited he even joked that his wife is now demanding that she get her own Jamaican passport.

“He really wants to play for Jamaica,” Ricketts said. “He is very excited and very committed.”

Antonio, who scored for West Ham in a 2-1 loss to Manchester City on the weekend, had previously been approached about representing the Reggae Boyz in 2016 but despite being called up to the England squad in 2016 and 2017, never took the field in an England jersey. He is now months away from donning the black and gold of Jamaica.

Ricketts was unable to say how long it would take for him to get his passport because the pandemic has slowed the process.

Meanwhile, Ricketts also confirmed that Reading defender Liam Moore has obtained his Jamaican passport and that he too is committed to representing the Reggae Boyz.

“He told me he is not even concerned about money, he just wants to get the team qualified for the World Cup,” Ricketts said.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Retired Jamaica international Simpson calls for unity following end to JFF, Reggae Boyz contract dispute Retired Jamaica international Simpson calls for unity following end to JFF, Reggae Boyz contract dispute

    Retied Jamaica international, Fitzroy Simpson, has called for the return of the spirit of togetherness for the Reggae Boyz, expressing the hope that the current squad can go on to match the exploits of his historic 1998 unit.

    Up until recently, some members of the Jamaica national team and the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) were embroiled in a bitter contractual dispute, which saw several members of the team unavailable for the Caribbean team’s clash against the United States last month.

    With the dispute now settled, and the CONCACAF Gold Cup and World Cup qualifiers coming later this year, Simpson is urging both parties to come together.

    “Unity is so important,” Simpson said in a recent interview with the Irish Mirror.

    “The set-up now has to be unified and improvements made on the business side,” he added.

    Simpson was one of several English-based players to join the Jamaica national team ahead of their historic qualification for the World Cup in France.  The former Manchester City and Portsmouth player started all three games at the tournament and has fond memories of not just playing at the final itself but also the build-up.

    “It was breathtaking.  It was the greatest honour in my playing career to lead Jamaica to history,” Simpson said.

    “I remember my mother, my brother, and my uncle in the stadium when we qualified.  I looked at them and couldn't believe what we had achieved because Jamaica wasn't recognised as a footballing nation.  The whole country really drove us on, the support was incredible.”

     

     

  • Newcastle Jets 1-1 Perth Glory: O'Donovan penalty ends hosts' seven-match losing streak Newcastle Jets 1-1 Perth Glory: O'Donovan penalty ends hosts' seven-match losing streak

    Newcastle Jets finally ended their club-record A-League losing streak as a second-half penalty salvaged a 1-1 draw at home to the similarly off-colour Perth Glory.

    Since a five-game unbeaten run finished at the end of February, the Jets have been stuck in a miserable rut of successive defeats.

    They surrendered a one-goal lead in their 2-1 loss to Melbourne Victory last time out and fans would have been forgiven for thinking the writing was on the wall when Joel Chianese scored a lovely goal for Perth just past the hour.

    A gorgeous first-time pass from Bruno Fornaroli using the outside of his right foot released Andy Keogh into the left side of the box and his pass across the face of goal was turned in by Chianese.

    But Roy O'Donovan smashed home from the spot soon after as Kosuke Ota tripped Apostolos Stamatelopoulos.

    That was ultimately enough to seal a point, but the Jets will surely feel they could have snatched victory at the end, with Matthew Millar blazing over from a fairly tight angle deep into stoppage time.

    The draw does neither side much good, with Newcastle staying 11th on 12 points and Perth one place and six points better off.

  • Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term Florentino Perez re-elected Real Madrid president for fifth successive term

    Florentino Perez has been re-elected as Real Madrid president for a fifth successive term after running unopposed.

    Perez, 74, called on the club's electoral board to set in motion the process of deciding a president and board of directors last week.

    Madrid have not carried out a full election since 2006, when the incumbent Perez lost out to Ramon Calderon, but he resigned three years later.

    Perez returned for a second stint then as the only candidate to stand and has been in place ever since.

    It briefly appeared as though Perez could have a rival in businessman Enrique Riquelme, having suggested an intention to run.

    However, a Madrid statement released on Tuesday confirmed Perez was the only declared candidate and he retains his position.

    "On April 13, 2021 in Madrid, at 00:01 hours, at the headquarters of the Real Madrid Club de Futbol electoral board, the individuals listed at the beginning met to discuss and decide on the matters listed below," the statement read.

    "Given the existing health situation resulting from COVID-19, the president [of the electoral board], Mr. Jose Manuel de Carlos Grau, has decided that the members of the electoral board who so wish may participate telematically.

    "Having presented no more than one candidacy declared by this electoral board and by virtue of article 40, section E, point 2 of the current by-laws of the club, Mr Florentino Perez Rodriguez is declared president of Real Madrid and the board of directors of Real Madrid."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.