William Wallace moves to end court case against FIFA as suspension looms

By September 23, 2020

Lawyers representing United TTFA have applied to the Trinidad and Tobago High Court of Justice seeking permission to withdraw the claims currently before the court regarding their six-month dispute with FIFA.

The move brings to an end William Wallace's case against FIFA in a bid to avoid being suspended from world football by the sports governing body.

The development comes, sources indicate, after there was majority vote against proceeding with the matter before the court, during an informal meeting of the TTFA on Tuesday night. Twenty-one members voted against pursuing the proceedings against FIFA, sources said. Eight voted in favour.

On May 18, lawyers for the William-Wallace executive had filed an application in the Trinidad and Tobago High Court seeking a permanent injunction to prevent FIFA from interfering or seeking to override the “fair and transparent democratic processes of the TTFA and/or preventing them from removing the executive of duly elected officers from office.”

FIFA filed an appeal that was thrown out by Madame Justice Carol Gobin.

In response, FIFA sent letters to the Normalisation Committee currently in charge of the affairs of the TTFA strongly suggesting that the claims be withdrawn.

Failure to do so by September 23, FIFA said, would result in them initiating proceedings to have the TTFA suspended from international football.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Lewandowski pays tribute to 'genius' Klopp – 'He was like a father but also your strictest teacher' Lewandowski pays tribute to 'genius' Klopp – 'He was like a father but also your strictest teacher'

    Robert Lewandowski has paid tribute to Jurgen Klopp for the impact he had on the striker's path to being crowned the best player in the world last month.

    Bayern Munich star Lewandowski won The Best FIFA Men's Player award for 2020 after starring as Die Roten claimed a Bundesliga, Champions League and DFB-Pokal treble.

    Between July 20, 2019 and October 7, 2020 – the period considered for the award – Lewandowski scored 60 club goals in 52 appearances across all competitions at a rate of one every 76 minutes.

    He beat Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to the prize, with the Pole effectively recognised the best footballer in the world in the absence of a Ballon d'Or winner in 2020.

    Lewandowski has enjoyed immense success since joining Bayern in 2014, though he already looked destined for greatness during his time at Borussia Dortmund, where Klopp had begun to mould him into the lethal forward he is now.

    Writing in a reflective piece for the Players' Tribune in the wake of his FIFA award win, Lewandowski said of the current Liverpool boss: "Jurgen was not only a father figure to me. As a coach, he was like the 'bad teacher'. And I mean that in the best sense of the word.

    "Not the one who made life easy for you and never expected anything from you, but the one who was strict with you. The one who put pressure on you and did everything to get the best out of you. That's the teacher who made you better. Jurgen was like that.

    "He was not content to let you be a B-grade student. Jurgen wanted A+ students. He didn't want it for him. He wanted it for you.

    "I could talk to Jurgen about anything. I could trust him. He is a family man, and he has so much empathy for what goes on in your private life."

    Lewandowski took a season to truly adapt to German football after joining from Lech Poznan in his native Poland, as he only netted eight Bundesliga goals in 33 games during the 2010-11 campaign.

    That remains the only season he has failed to reach double figures for league goals during his time in Germany, and Lewandowski considers Klopp's influence to be a major part of his improvement.

    "He taught me so much," the striker continued. "When I arrived at Dortmund, I wanted to do everything quickly: strong pass, one touch only. Jurgen showed me to calm down — to take two touches if necessary.

    "It was totally against my nature, but soon I was scoring more goals. When I had that down, he challenged me to speed it up again.

    "One touch. BANG. Goal. He slowed me down to speed me up. It sounds simple, but it was genius, really."

    Lewandowski's shot conversion rate rose from 13.1 per cent to 22.5 after his first season with Klopp and has never dipped below 20 per cent since.

    In fact, the 32-year-old appears to be getting better with age, given his best ever return in terms of shot conversion was posted last term (29.8), and he is well on track to obliterate that personal best in 2020-21.

    With 20 goals in 14 Bundesliga games, the Polish marksman is converting 44.4 per cent of his opportunities.

     

  • Kevin Molino says time was perfect for move to Columbus Crew Kevin Molino says time was perfect for move to Columbus Crew

    Trinidad and Tobago Kevin Molino says playing with better quality players at Columbus Crew will help him raise his level of play as he eyes a successful career and a championship title with the 2020 Major League Soccer champions.

  • Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter taken to hospital Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter taken to hospital

    Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter has been hospitalised in Switzerland, his family have confirmed.

    Blatter, 84, requires a period of rest but his condition is improving, according to daughter Corinne Blatter Andenmatten.

    Swiss publication Blick has reported Blatter's condition is serious but stable.

    "My father is in hospital," Corinne said.

    "He is getting better every day. But he needs time and rest. On behalf of my family, I ask for privacy."

    Blatter also spent time in hospital in 2015 and 2016 due to health problems.

    The eighth president of FIFA resigned in 2015 amid a corruption scandal in football's governing body.

    He was given an eight-year ban, reduced to six on appeal in 2016, over an alleged undue payment made to former UEFA president Michel Platini in 2011. Both men have maintained they committed no wrongdoing.

    Last month, FIFA issued a criminal complaint over suspected "criminal mismanagement" in a museum project set up by Blatter.

    Lorenz Erni, Blatter's lawyer, described the accusations as being "baseless and vehemently repudiated".

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.