FIFA lifts restrictions from JFF following successful review

By September 21, 2020

FIFA has lifted financial restrictions imposed on the Jamaica Football Federation last year.

 The decision by football’s world governing body, that takes immediate effect, came after what the JFF described as “thorough review of the financial management and governance of the Federation.”

The review and recommendation procedure took place during several visits from FIFA lasting a period of over one year.

JFF General Secretary Dalton Wint explained that the FIFA review process uncovered several issues of concern.

“FIFA had imposed some restrictions based on the fact that we were not doing some of the things that would have loved to see us do,” he said.

“For FIFA, cash payments should be at a minimum and based on how we used to operate, cash payments for players and things were at a premium and they wanted us to reduce that drastically and we have done so.”

There were also other issues that the JFF had to address, Wint said.

“There is a situation in which funds from our FIFA account were being transferred to another account; that is something they don’t want happening, you should just spend directly from their account. And our accounting system needed upgrading and we did that,” he said.

Now that those matters have been resolved, Wint says the JFF will now be able to receive their full tranches from FIFA in January and July instead of the incremental payments they were getting from FIFA during the period of the review.

Meantime, the FIFA administration thanked the JFF for the steps taken thus far to address the risks identified as part of the central review process and encourages the prioritization of this ongoing implementation.

FIFA also pledged its support for Jamaica, placing its Finance Governance Team at the JFF’s disposal as it works to modernize its operations.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Al Ahly 3-1 Wydad Casablanca (5-1 agg): Record champions return to final Al Ahly 3-1 Wydad Casablanca (5-1 agg): Record champions return to final

    Al Ahly booked a return to the CAF Champions League final with a comfortable 3-1 victory over Wydad Casablanca in the second leg of their last-four clash. 

    The eight-time champions took an early lead and never looked like missing out on a 13th appearance in the showpiece as they went on to seal a 5-1 aggregate triumph at Cairo International Stadium. 

    Just as they did in the first leg, Al Ahly quickly opened the scoring when Marwan Mohsen tucked the ball past Ahmed Tagnaouti in the fifth minute and a VAR check showed the offside flag had been incorrectly raised. 

    Hussein El Shahat doubled the Egyptian side's advantage when he turned Yahia Attiyat inside out, and Yasser Ibrahim's header before the hour mark effectively ended the tie as a contest. 

    Substitute Zouheir El-Moutaraji's thunderous 20-yard drive pulled one back for Wydad in the 82nd minute but last year's runners-up were unable to secure a return to the final. 

    Al Ahly have lost their previous two final appearances and will have to overcome domestic rivals Zamalek or Raja Casablanca if they are to win the Champions League for the first time since 2013. 

  • FIFA emerges victorious after appeals court rules against TTFA FIFA emerges victorious after appeals court rules against TTFA

    A Court of Appeal in Trinidad and Tobago today set aside a ruling by High Court Judge Carol Gobin that FIFA’s removal of the duly elected executive was “illegal null and void and of no effect”. According to reports out of the twin-island republic, United TTFA that is led by William Wallace, was also ordered to pay legal costs.

    FIFA had dissolved the executive of the TTFA in March and installed a normalization committee to oversee the affairs of the association. The ousted executive then took the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) but eventually withdrew the case citing institutional bias.

    They put the matter before the TT High Court of Justice where High Court Justice Carol Gobin ruled twice in favour of the TTFA – on August 13 and October 13 – in the first instance to say that the TTFA were entitled to justice from the local courts and then to declare FIFA’s actions illegal and null and void.

    However, on Friday, the Court of Appeal, ruled in favour of the football’s governing body.

    “The filing of these proceedings was a breach of Article 67 of the TTFA’s Constitution of which the TTFA is bound,” Chief Justice Ivor Archie ruled, according to 868Wired. “We are of the view that section 67 is unambiguous… The filings of these proceedings was therefore ultra vires, null and void and of no effect and will be struck out.

    ‘In accordance with the relevant provisions of the FIFA Statutes, any appeal against a final and binding decision passed by FIFA, CONCACAF or the leagues shall be heard by the CAS, unless another arbitration tribunal has jurisdiction in accordance with Article 69.

    Prior to Friday's decision, William Wallace had said that if the ruling went against him, he would end all legal challenges against FIFA.

    "If we lose this matter, that's it for me. There is no more appealing,” Wallace said in an interview on WESN Content Capital TV. “I [would] say 'Thank you very much' and I walk away. I have no intention of going beyond our court.”

    The TTFA was represented by Dr Emir Crowne, Matthew Gayle, Jason Jones and Crystal Paul. Christopher Hamel-Smith SC, Jonathan Walker and Cherie Gopie represented FIFA.

  • Simeone trusts Atletico to bounce back from Bayern loss Simeone trusts Atletico to bounce back from Bayern loss

    Diego Simeone trusts Atletico Madrid to show their character and bounce back from a heavy loss to Bayern Munich when they take on Real Betis on Saturday. 

    Atletico suffered their first defeat of the 2020-21 season on Tuesday, going down 4-0 to Bayern in their Champions League Group A opener at the Allianz Arena – their joint-heaviest defeat of Simeone's nine-year tenure. 

    Taking on Betis at the Wanda Metropolitano is their next task, and by avoiding defeat they would make it a club-record 21 games unbeaten in LaLiga. 

    Manuel Pellegrini's team undoubtedly pose a threat, though. They have had a league-high 76 shots on goal this season, while the 57 chances they have created is only matched by Real Madrid. 

    However, Atleti have conceded just one goal in their four LaLiga games this term and Simeone is expecting them to produce a positive response after the disappointment of their defeat to Bayern. 

    "I absolutely trust the team, despite the painful, heavy defeat in Munich," Simeone told a news conference on Friday. 

    "I got a lot of positive things from the game and I totally believe in the team we have. 

    "I see them play with great enthusiasm, with great intensity and eager to be the protagonists. 

    "Tomorrow we will see it [the team's personality]. I absolutely believe in my players, I know their quality. We face a team that with Manuel have improved a lot, especially their enthusiasm, defence, and the confidence you can see in Betis beyond the results. 

    "They won twice away from home, so they are a dangerous team. Maybe, if I am not wrong, they are one of the teams who have created the most chances in LaLiga." 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.