MLS

We were busy so used a doppelganger! - Stam laughs off Cincinnati photo blunder

By Sports Desk May 22, 2020

Jaap Stam saw the funny side of FC Cincinnati's photo blunder when confirming his appointment, joking they used a "doppelganger" because he was too busy.

Cincinnati announced Stam as their new coach on Thursday, with their Twitter post accompanied by a composite image that included a man who resembled the Dutchman.

But the pictured man, who was also bald and dressed in a shirt, tie and large coat, turned out to be Ajax youth coach Tinus van Teunenbroek.

The mishap quickly went viral and left Cincinnati's media team red-faced, particularly after official accounts of fellow MLS clubs chimed in on the replies of the corrected follow-up tweet.

Each one posted a welcome message and an accompanying image of a different bald man – examples ranged from Jason Statham to Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers films.

Unsurprisingly Stam was asked about the mishap during his presentation news conference on Friday, but the former Manchester United and Milan centre-back, who cut an intimidating figure on the pitch, took it in good humour.

"Everything was going well and I know you're aiming a little bit at this picture that came out," Stam said when asked how it felt to 'go viral'.

"Yesterday [Thursday] was a busy day, a hard day, a lot of talking and a lot of meetings, so eventually we used a doppelganger to do the picture."

Stam was then asked what he thought about the MLS clubs' replies. He said: "I've seen it – somebody sent it to me and I can appreciate that as well.

"At a certain time we need to have a bit of a laugh. If we play against each other and we come out on top with a win, then we can have a laugh – that's what we're trying to do."

The Dutch journalist who asked the questions explained to Cincinnati's press officer that he was addressing the "elephant in the room", but further questions on the matter seemed to be discretely discouraged when she responded: "Well, no, we have Jaap in the room today, so we're good there."

Stam is returning to management for the first time since resigning as Feyenoord boss in October, as he quit following a 4-0 defeat by Ajax less than five months after succeeding Giovanni van Bronckhorst.

Cincinnati are in their second MLS season and lost the first two matches of the 2020 Eastern Conference campaign prior to the coronavirus-enforced pause.

Related items

  • Napoli players rally behind grieving boss Gattuso Napoli players rally behind grieving boss Gattuso

    Napoli players showed their support for Gennaro Gattuso by holding a minute's silence on Friday as the grieving head coach returned to training.

    Gattuso is mourning after it was announced on Tuesday that his sister Francesca had died at the age of 37 following an illness.

    She had worked as a secretary with Serie A club Milan, where Gattuso spent 13 years as a player and was later head coach.

    Gattuso, 42, has been in charge of Napoli for almost six months, after succeeding Carlo Ancelotti in December.

    The bond between the coach and his players, led by skipper Lorenzo Insigne, was made clear by the players' response to Gattuso at the Castel Volturno training ground on Friday.

    "The day began with a very touching moment: the team wanted to express their closeness and make Gennaro Gattuso feel all their affection with a virtual hug," Napoli's website announced.

    "Captain Insigne and the whole team observed a minute of recollection in memory of the Azzurro coach's sister before the start of training."

  • Coronavirus: Serie A to allow five substitutions Coronavirus: Serie A to allow five substitutions

    Serie A will allow teams to make five substitutions during games for the remainder of the 2019-20 campaign.

    It brings Italy's top flight into line with a temporary law amendment announced by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) last month.

    World football's pre-eminent rule-making body made the alterations as a means to ease the strain on players returning to action following the extended coronavirus hiatus.

    If a team wishes to make all five changes, they must come in no more than three match interruptions, aside from half-time.

    Serie A is set to resume on June 20, more than three months after the league was suspended due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

  • Katai leaves Galaxy following 'racial and violent' posts made by his wife Katai leaves Galaxy following 'racial and violent' posts made by his wife

    Aleksandar Katai has left LA Galaxy by mutual consent following "racial and violent social media posts" made by his wife.

    The Galaxy on Wednesday strongly condemned Tea Katai for her posts about Black Lives Matter protestors, who took to the streets in the United States and far beyond following the death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis last week.

    Serbia midfielder Katai's wife was asked to remove the Instagram posts immediately by the MLS franchise.

    Katai, who only joined the Galaxy at the end of last year, stated that his wife's "unacceptable" posts would not be tolerated by his family.

    The 29-year-old added that he took full responsibility for his wife's actions and was sorry for the pain caused to the "Galaxy family and all the allies in the fight against racism."

    Katai will be in the market for a new club, though, as the Galaxy confirmed his departure in a brief one-line statement released on Friday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.