Warner given official nod for UK Privy Council appeal

By Sports Desk January 23, 2020
Former FIFA Vice president Jack Warner. Former FIFA Vice president Jack Warner.

Former FIFA vice Jack Warner has officially been given final approval to appeal extradition proceedings filed against him to the UK Privy Council.

Warner, the disgraced former CONCACAF boss, has been battling to avoid extradition to the United States since 2015.  The ex-football official faces charges of corruption stemming from alleged financial impropriety committed during a long tenure with world football’s governing body. 

Last year, Warner tried and failed to have the extradition appeal dismissed on procedural grounds.  The three judges of Trinidad and Tobago’s Court of Appeal opted to uphold the original decision to dismiss Warner’s review, which was made in September 2017.

Warner, who was also been ordered to pay US$79m in damages to CONCACAF by a federal judge in New York City last summer, is currently out on $TT 2.5m bail and banned for life by FIFA.

The authority to proceed (ATP) with Warner’s extradition as part of the FIFA indictments, was signed in 2016 by Trinidad and Tobago Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi.  Warner is wanted on various counts of corruption, graft, bribery and money laundering.

 

Related items

  • Solskjaer 'never surprised' by Mata quality as midfielder reaches 50 goals for Man Utd Solskjaer 'never surprised' by Mata quality as midfielder reaches 50 goals for Man Utd

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is "never surprised" to see Juan Mata take control of matches after the midfielder scored one and set up another in Manchester United's 3-0 EFL Cup victory over Brighton and Hove Albion.

    Mata picked out Scott McTominay from a free-kick for United's opener in Wednesday's last-16 tie before profiting from a brilliant Donny van de Beek assist to bring up his 50th goal for the club.

    The 32-year-old also scored in the third-round win over Luton Town and has now been directly involved in 13 goals in his last 15 starts for United.

    He has not been part of Solskjaer's squad for the opening two rounds of Premier League fixtures, but the United head coach is happy with the Spaniard's latest contribution in the cup competitions.

    "It was a great performance by Juan Mata," Solskjaer told Sky Sports. "He was the one who got on the ball and calmed us down. He was composed. 

    "He more or less creates the first goal himself. I am never surprised when he plays like this.

    "He has been around the block and knows football. He does his work and is at the back stick to shield the ball from Dan Burn at a corner in the second half."

    Victory for United was their third in a row in all competitions, four days on from snatching a last-gasp 3-2 win over Brighton at the same venue in the Premier League.

    Paul Pogba rounded off the scoring for United 11 minutes after being brought off the bench in a morale-boosting win for Solskjaer's side following some below-par performances to begin the campaign.

    "We needed the first 20-25 minutes to get our confidence and get on the ball. We have worked on set-pieces. You keep a clean sheet and this is important for a back four," he said.

    "We wanted to bring on Pogba for 25-30 minutes for a workout. The game was there for him. Paul and Marcus [Rashford] found some good positions."

    United continue to be linked with Jadon Sancho - left out of Borussia Dortmund's squad for Wednesday's 3-2 DFL-Supercup loss to Bayern Munich because of illness - with five days of the transfer window to go.

    And while remaining tight-lipped on speculation that United have had another bid knocked back, Solskjaer is confident his bosses are doing all they can to bring in additional quality.

    "I can't give you any news," he said when asked directly about the Sancho situation. "We are working with what we have got. We have a big squad. 

    "We changed 10 players from Saturday. If there is any update, we will let you know. I don't comment on other teams' players. I can't concern myself with other clubs. 

    "I know the club is working well and hard to have a strong squad as possible. Sometimes speculation is there and we can't control that."

  • Guardiola confirms Zinchenko injury, bids farewell to Otamendi Guardiola confirms Zinchenko injury, bids farewell to Otamendi

    Oleksandr Zinchenko is out for "two or three weeks" with an injury, according to Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola, who may now be forced into bringing in additional cover at left-back.

    Utility player Zinchenko, who has yet to play a single minute for City in 2020-21, provided cover at left-back last season while Benjamin Mendy battled with injuries.

    Mendy is fit again and featured in City's 3-0 EFL Cup victory over Burnley on Wednesday, but Guardiola confirmed after the game that Zinchenko has suffered a set-back in his recovery from a muscle injury.

    "Yesterday, or two days ago, he was injured again," Guardiola told reporters.

    "He was recovered, but he got injured again and is out for two or three weeks."

    Guardiola also paid tribute to Nicolas Otamendi after the Argentine defender joined Benfica, with Ruben Dias coming the other way.

    Otamendi made 210 appearances during his five-year spell at City, scoring 11 goals and lifting the Premier League trophy twice.

    After arriving at City in the Manuel Pellegrini era, Otamendi went on to thrive under Guardiola, who picked out the 2017-18 season as the 32-year-old's best.

    "Well, he was part of our incredible success and consistency is for Nico," Guardiola told reporters.

    "He is an incredibly nice guy and especially the season we won the Premier League with 100 points, he was the key player for us.

    "In the back four he was incredible. We thought we needed a young squad. He was more than 30.

    "I wish him and his family all the best. My absolute gratitude for how he helped me from day one and his desire to improve. He will always be part of my best memories here in Manchester."

  • I love playing with him - Mata hails 'very clever' Van de Beek for assist in Man Utd win I love playing with him - Mata hails 'very clever' Van de Beek for assist in Man Utd win

    Juan Mata hailed Donny van de Beek for his "very clever" assist in Manchester United's win against Brighton and Hove Albion and says he loves playing in the same side as his new team-mate.

    Van de Beek, signed from Ajax last month in a deal rising to £49million, played in Mata for United's second goal in Wednesday's EFL Cup last-16 tie with a delightful backheeled pass.

    Having also teed up Scott McTominay for the visitors' first-half opener at the Amex Stadium, Mata has now been directly involved in 13 goals in his last 15 starts for the club.

    The Spaniard was named as the sponsors' man of the match but he was quick to praise Van de Beek for his part in what proved to be a routine victory for United.

    "It was a very clever assist. He's a very clever player," Mata told Sky Sports. "I love playing with him because he finds pockets and spaces. 

    "He understands football in a way that I like, which is playing one-twos, passing and moving, and the goal was like that."

    United were fortunate to grab a late 3-2 Premier League win at the same venue four days ago but this victory was far more straightforward come full-time, with substitute Paul Pogba adding a third goal via a deflected free-kick.

    Dean Henderson was called into action to keep out Leandro Trossard with a top-class save at 1-0, though Mata was pleased with his side's overall display on England's south coast.

    "They have a great manager who tries to play attractive football. They also change the system in the game, so you have to be alert," he said. "Today I think we played really good. 

    "We created chances in the second half, we had even more chances to kill the game. So we're happy today."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.