TTFA misstep forces clubs out of CONCACAF competitions once again

By December 05, 2019

‘Thoroughly disappointed’ is how Trinidad and Tobago Pro League chairman Brent Sancho described the news that no team from the Pro League will take part in CONCACAF competition for the second season running.

According to Sancho,the omission of T&T Pro League teams from CONCACAF competitions could have been avoided quite easily.

According to reports, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) were informed of the sanctions from as early as November 22 but never did anything about it.

Those reports also explain that the sanction meted out by CONCACAF, is on account of the fact that the T&T Pro League has not adhered to the regional footballing governing body’s club licensing programme.

“When it happened the last time we were assured it wouldn’t happen again; and that, according to them, it was a simple error. And what makes it even worse is I didn’t find out from the TTFA, I found out from somebody from Concacaf on the day of the [TTFA] election,” Sancho told T&T website Wired868.

Trinidad and Tobago’s football has been going through a tumultuous period lately. Apart from its clubs being out of international competition over the last two seasons, the national team is now ranked 104, just two places off its worst-ever ranking. The national team also failed to advance to the CONCACAF Hex, where six teams have a chance to qualify for three spots at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

The team also has to go through a playoff to qualify for the 2021 Gold Cup, having watched Jamaica, Grenada, Curacao and Suriname already assure themselves of a place in that competition.

The TTFA has also recently gone through a leadership change with David John-Williams relinquishing his post to William Wallace.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement England Women announce Wiegman as Neville's replacement

    Sarina Wiegman will succeed Phil Neville as England Women's head coach from September next year. 

    The Netherlands boss will replace the former Manchester United defender on a four-year deal.

    Neville's contract expires in July 2021, with the 43-year-old having been appointed in January 2018.

    Wiegman will remain in charge of her home nation for the delayed Tokyo Olympics in 2021, while it remains to be seen who will oversee the Great Britain team in Japan.

    "England is the cradle of football and I'm very much looking forward to contributing my experience and expertise to this ambitious team," said Wiegman, who guided Netherlands to the Euro 2017 title and last year's World Cup final.

    Football Association chief executive Mark Bullingham said: "Sarina was the outstanding candidate from a very strong field.

    "She is a proven winner and we are confident she can take England to the next level, giving us the best possible opportunity of achieving our ambition to win a major tournament."

    The 50-year-old's first opportunity to deliver on that will be at the postponed Women's Euros, now scheduled for July 2022.

  • FC Dallas condemn death threats and racist comments sent to Reggie Cannon FC Dallas condemn death threats and racist comments sent to Reggie Cannon

    FC Dallas have strongly condemned "repulsive and unacceptable" racist comments and death threats Reggie Cannon has been subjected to this week. 

    Dallas defender Cannon criticised supporters who booed players for kneeling during the national anthem before his side returned to MLS action against Nashville on Wednesday.  

    Some fans were allowed into the game, which started after the teams showed their support of the Black Lives Matter movement. 

    Sportsmen and women have taken a knee worldwide since NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick became the first to do so in the 2016 season, protesting against police brutality and racial inequality. 

    But jeers were heard among supporters as Dallas, Nashville and the officials took a knee, with a water bottle also appearing to be thrown on the field in response. 

    Dallas chairman Clark Hunt and president Dan Hunt says the abuse United States international Cannon has come in for will not be tolerated. 

    "We want to be clear: We love and support Reggie Cannon. The racist comments and death threats he has received are repulsive and unacceptable," a statement from the duo said. 

    "There is no place in our sport, or in our country for that matter, for the kind of horrific vitriol Reggie has had to endure today. Hateful or violent threats are never warranted – especially when they are directed toward a member of our FC Dallas family. 

    "We will continue to work together – with our players, our coaches and our fans – against racism and in the cause of equality for all." 

    Full-back Cannon said after a 1-0 defeat for Dallas: "I think it was disgusting. I think it was absolutely disgusting.

    "You've got fans booing you for people taking a stand for what they believe in, and millions of other people support this cause.

    "We discussed with every other team and the league what we were going to do, and we've got fans booing us in our own stadium. How disgraceful is that?

    "For a lack of a better word, it p***** me off."

    Cannon said the players had asked for the anthem not to be played before the match but "they ignored our wishes".

    "We were going to kneel regardless if the anthem was played or not," he explained. "Unfortunately, it was played during the time when we asked for the anthem not to be played."

  • Thiago 'does not fit the Liverpool mould', says Reds great Thiago 'does not fit the Liverpool mould', says Reds great

    Bayern Munich star Thiago Alcantara "does not fit the mould" of what Liverpool require in their midfield, according to Reds great Steve Nicol.

    Liverpool have been tipped to move for Thiago after Bayern chief Karl-Heinz Rummenigge last month confirmed the Spain international is seeking a move away.

    The German club's head coach Hansi Flick has encouraged the 29-year-old to join a Premier League club and the reigning champions are believed to be interested.

    Liverpool legend Nicol does not believe Thiago is the right type of player for Jurgen Klopp's energetic side, but he would still sign the Barcelona academy product to use as a back-up option.

    "I think he's a great footballer and he can pass the ball. Unfortunately, he just doesn't fit the mould of what Liverpool do in the middle of the park right now," he told ESPN.

    "Yes, he's got ability, but he also has to have dynamism, he has to have legs, he has to close down quickly, he's got to have energy. 

    "Those are things that all those players in the middle of the park for Liverpool have. That isn't Alcantara.

    "At the same time, having a player like that to bring on, he can play in the FA Cup, the League Cup, you can bring him on and give him half an hour to pass the ball around.

    "I would sign him, I think he's a quality player. If the money is right, go and get him."

    Thiago has featured 37 times for Bayern in all competitions this term and is in contention to start Friday's Champions League quarter-final with Barcelona.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.