Honduras finish strong at home to relegate Trinidad and Tobago

By November 18, 2019
On the right, Honduras’ Alberth Elis, who scored a brace tries to advance against Trinidad and Tobago’s Aikim Andrews and Kevon Goddard, on November 17, 2019 at Estadio Olímpico, San Pedro Sula, Honduras. On the right, Honduras’ Alberth Elis, who scored a brace tries to advance against Trinidad and Tobago’s Aikim Andrews and Kevon Goddard, on November 17, 2019 at Estadio Olímpico, San Pedro Sula, Honduras.

Honduras had already clinched a spot in the Nations League finals next summer heading into the final match of group play, but they didn’t let up in the closer against Trinidad and Tobago, putting up an impressive 4-0 win.

Jonathan Rubio got Los Catrachos off to a flying start, sending a powerful strike from 20 yards out past a diving Marvin Phillip in the 5th minute.

Honduras continued to dominate the early proceedings, culminating in a 20th minute goal from Brayan Moya to double the lead.

Moments before the halftime whistle, Rubio was brought down for a penalty, and Alberth Elis converted in the 45+2 minute.

The second half was more of the same story; Elis netted his second of the day in the 53rd minute to complete the scoreline.

Trinidad did have some shots on goal, but none got past Luis Lopez who ended the day with four saves.

The victory means Honduras finish the group stage with 10 points, and are likely to enter the knockout round as the #2 seed. On the other end, the defeat means Trinidad and Tobago have been relegated to League B and will enter the Gold Cup qualifiers in the second round.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Real Madrid is my home and my life - Casillas confirms talks over non-playing return to former club Real Madrid is my home and my life - Casillas confirms talks over non-playing return to former club

    Iker Casillas has revealed he is hoping to return "home" to Real Madrid in a non-playing capacity after being made an offer by president Florentino Perez

    The Spain legend announced his retirement last week, having not played a game since suffering a heart attack in training with Porto on May 1 last year.

    Goalkeeping great Casillas progressed through Madrid's youth ranks and made 725 appearances for the club before departing on a sour note after falling out with Perez five years ago.

    However, Casillas is now on far better terms with Perez and the 39-year-old has confirmed reports that he could be on his way back to Santiago Bernabeu in an advisory role.

    "Nothing is closed yet, but I hope that my new stage will be at Real Madrid," he told Semana magazine. "The departure from Real Madrid was traumatic, but it's my home.

    "We broke up, like when a marriage separates and you say everything and there were things that were badly said and out of context, but time passes and everything calms down.

    "Once two or three years had passed, I had a calmer relationship with Florentino and he told me, 'you have to be here'.

    "Now in August, we'll talk because Real Madrid is my home and my life. Florentino recently called me to make an offer and now, when I return to Madrid, we will talk."

    World Cup-winning keeper Casillas was previously in the running to take over as president of the Spanish Football Federation, only to pull out of the race in June.

    "I had almost won my candidacy, but political reasons weighed more heavily," he said. "There was an uneven fight and I decided to withdraw."

  • Matuidi leaves Juventus ahead of expected Inter Miami move Matuidi leaves Juventus ahead of expected Inter Miami move

    Blaise Matuidi has left Juventus ahead of an expected move to MLS side Inter Miami.

    Matuidi joined Juve from Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain in 2017, with the 2018 World Cup winner going on to help the Turin giants to three successive Serie A titles and one Coppa Italia triumph.

    The French midfielder had another season left to run on his deal with Juve, but the Italian champions have agreed to terminate the remainder of his contract in order for the 33-year-old to join Miami on a free contract.

    Matuidi made over 130 appearances for Juve, scoring eight goals.

    "With our colours on his back, he fought and played his heart out in every single game; placing constant pressure on the opponents, tearing apart the run of play and ever so eloquently relaunching the ball into action," Juve said in a statement on Wednesday.

    "Blaise is someone who will always be in our hearts and we wish him all the very best for the future."

    Miami, part-owned by Matuidi's former PSG team-mate Beckham, have lost all of their competitive fixtures so far this season. 

  • De Ligt facing three months out after Juventus defender undergoes shoulder surgery De Ligt facing three months out after Juventus defender undergoes shoulder surgery

    Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt is facing three months out after undergoing shoulder surgery.

    The Netherlands centre-back has had persistent problems with his right shoulder after suffering a dislocation last year.

    Juve confirmed on Wednesday that the 21-year-old had stabilisation surgery in Rome and the operation was "a complete success".

    He is not likely to be fully fit to return until November.

    There is not yet an official start date for the 2020-21 Serie A season but the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has previously stated it hopes the campaign can begin on September 1.

    De Ligt made 39 appearances in all competitions in his first season for Juve since joining from Ajax for an initial €75million fee last year.

    Juve won the Scudetto for the ninth time in a row but were beaten by Napoli on penalties in the Coppa Italia final and were knocked out of the Champions League on away goals at the last-16 stage by Lyon.

    Head coach Maurizio Sarri was sacked the day after that European exit and replaced by Under-23s boss and former midfielder Andrea Pirlo.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.