Portillo punches El Salvador’s Gold Cup ticket with late winner vs. Montserrat

By November 18, 2019
El Salvador ´s Gilberto Baires and James Richard Comley of Suriname fight for possession at Cuscatlan Stadium in San Salvador, El Salvador on November 16, 2019. El Salvador ´s Gilberto Baires and James Richard Comley of Suriname fight for possession at Cuscatlan Stadium in San Salvador, El Salvador on November 16, 2019.

El Salvador have qualified for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup thanks to a dramatic 1-0 victory over Montserrat in Group B of League B of the Concacaf Nations League on Saturday night at the Estadio Cuscatlan in San Salvador.

Carlos Portillo scored a header in the first minute of stoppage time to clinch a first-place finish in the group for the Cuscatlecos, who have also earned promotion to League A.

El Salvador had the bulk of the scoring chances throughout, but found it nearly impossible to beat Montserrat GK Corrin Brooks.

Rodolfo Zelaya almost broke the deadlock early with a shot that glanced off the crossbar in the 3’, before Brooks denied chances from Ibsen Castro, Zelaya and a point-blank effort from Marvin Monterroza.

Montserrat started gaining a foothold and on the hour mark Spencer Weir-Daley had the best chance for the Emerald Boys, but his volley missed over the crossbar.

Monterroza had a second crack but could only shake his head in disbelief after another fine stop from Brooks, but there was nothing the Montserrat stopper could to prevent Portillo heading in Castro’s cross in stoppage time to give El Salvador the 1-0 winning scoreline.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Atletico rejected €85m offer from Man City for Gimenez, says club president Atletico rejected €85m offer from Man City for Gimenez, says club president

    Atletico Madrid rejected a £78million (€85m) offer from Manchester City for Jose Gimenez, the LaLiga club's president Enrique Cerezo confirmed.

    Gimenez, 25, has been linked with a move to City and AS reported earlier this month that Atletico had turned down a big-money offer from the Premier League club.

    Cerezo confirmed the LaLiga giants had received the offer from City, but wanted to keep the defender – who tested positive for coronavirus on Monday – at the Wanda Metropolitano.

    "We did receive the offer," he told El Transistor.

    "But Gimenez is a magnificent player and we are interested in having magnificent players in the team."

    After finishing third in LaLiga last season, Atletico – who have agreed a deal to sign Barcelona star Luis Suarez – begin their new campaign at home to Granada on Sunday.

    While the season is set to begin behind closed doors amid the coronavirus pandemic, Cerezo is hopeful fans will be back sooner rather than later.

    "We are hopeful that the public will be able to return to the stadiums before the end of the season," he said.

    "It is a difficult issue to control, but I think with the controls we have and with the good behaviour of the world of football, we will be able to continue this campaign well."

  • Suarez joins Atletico: A look back at Barcelona's formidable 'MSN' trident in Opta data Suarez joins Atletico: A look back at Barcelona's formidable 'MSN' trident in Opta data

    Luis Suarez formed one of the world's best attacks when 'MSN' came together at Barcelona.

    Suarez's arrival at Camp Nou from Liverpool in 2014 saw him join Lionel Messi and Neymar at the LaLiga giants and the trio flourished.

    But Neymar left for Paris Saint-Germain in a world-record €222million move just three years later, and Suarez's exit for Atletico Madrid was confirmed on Wednesday.

    Using Opta data, we take a look back at the formidable 'MSN' trident.

    77 – Barca won an incredible 77 per cent of matches in which 'MSN' played.

    73.7 – There was a clear drop-off in results when at least one of the Barca trio was absent, with the win ratio slipping to 73.7 per cent. Points per game was the same at 2.4, however.

    253 – In the 113 matches 'MSN' all played together, the trio contributed 253 goals for Barcelona.

    104 – Messi's goal ratio was a little under one per game when 'MSN' were all in the Barcelona team.

    68.9 – When one member of 'MSN' was absent, Barcelona's possession stood at 68.9 per cent, higher than the 66.6 per cent when they all played.

    3 – Without at least one 'MSN' member, Barcelona averaged three goals a game, compared to a slightly lower 2.8 goals per game with Messi, Neymar and Suarez all playing.

  • Arteta suggests Ozil might struggle to break into 'evolving' Arsenal side Arteta suggests Ozil might struggle to break into 'evolving' Arsenal side

    Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta suggested that it will be difficult for Mesut Ozil to force his way into an "evolving" Gunners side. 

    Ozil's contract expires at the end of the season and the 31-year-old's future has been the subject of intense speculation following his refusal to take a pay cut amid the coronavirus pandemic. 

    Arsenal's squad initially declined to take a 12.5 per cent wage reduction for 12 months but after Arteta reportedly intervened, the players – bar Ozil – agreed to accept the club's proposal.

    Ozil stated he did not agree to the pay cut as he felt the club forced the players into making a snap judgement.

    The former Germany international has not featured for the first team since the Premier League game with West Ham on March 7, and was again absent as Arsenal booked their spot in the EFL Cup fourth round with a 2-0 win over Leicester City on Wednesday. 

    Arteta batted away a string of questions regarding Ozil's future from journalists after the game, but the Spaniard did suggest he is likely to find it difficult to force his way into Arsenal's starting XI. 

    "The team is evolving; you can see the level they are achieving," he told a news conference. "This is where we are at the moment. We want to evolve more and play better and compete better.

    "I'm really happy with the performance here, how difficult they're making things for the coaching staff to select the squad.

    "You can see that the players we are changing, we are using, it's very difficult every week, not just for Mesut but for some other players as well, to make the squad. Every week we try to pick the right players.

    "It's difficult for others as well that aren't involved in the Premier League and didn't play tonight either. We have a squad of 26, 27 players at the moment and we can't give playing time to all of them.

    "I try to select the players that are, in my opinion, in better condition."

    Arteta made seven changes to the side that beat West Ham in the Premier League at the weekend, with an own goal from Christian Fuchs and a late second from Eddie Nketiah sealing the win. 

    Arsenal were good value for their victory and Arteta said he was pleased with his team's approach to what could have been a tricky fixture. 

    "I'm really happy with the performance; first of all the attitude and the way we approached the game mentally," he added.

    "The senior players took the lead straight away and I could see that they came here to win the game and after we're so happy with all our young players, the way they're developing and the way they played."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.