MLS

Montreal Impact coach Henry not dwelling on poor Monaco spell

By Sports Desk November 18, 2019

Thierry Henry is hoping to learn from his mistakes at Monaco after taking charge of MLS club Montreal Impact.

After assisting Roberto Martinez with Belgium, former Arsenal and Barcelona star Henry took up his first head coach role at Ligue 1 club Monaco in October 2018.

However, despite signing a three-year deal, Henry was dismissed in January, with his predecessor Leonardo Jardim coming in as his replacement. 

Montreal, meanwhile, finished ninth in the Eastern Conference in 2019, with Wilmer Cabrera - who only took charge in August - not offered the chance to stay on as coach.

On his official unveiling as the Impact's new coach, Henry insisted he has put his poor spell at Monaco behind him and is hoping to prove his quality as a coach with Montreal, who will play in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League.

"You have to start somewhere, that's how you acquire experience," Henry, who has signed a two-year deal with Montreal, told a news conference on Monday.

"For me it came with Belgium and Monaco, where I learned a lot about myself. It's about fighting. This isn't my story but the story of everyone in life. Everyone falls. It's about how you get up.

"It didn't work out at Monaco. I can give you a lot of excuses but at the end of the day it didn't work out and I am here as coach of Montreal.

"I learned a lot there. The only mistake you can make is not learning from what happened. You have to confront it."

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool complete swoop for Bayern star Thiago BREAKING NEWS: Liverpool complete swoop for Bayern star Thiago

    Liverpool have completed the signing of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich in a deal reportedly worth up to £25million (€27.5m).

    Thiago was rumoured to be a target of Jurgen Klopp's before the transfer window opened, with the Reds boss aiming to add more creativity to his midfield unit.

    The Premier League champions have now got their man, with the 29-year-old – whose deal at Bayern was due to expire in June 2021 – signing a "long-term contract" at Anfield.

    It is understood Liverpool will pay an initial £20m (€22m), with an additional £5m (€5.5m) in bonuses.

  • Higuain joins Inter Miami after Juventus exit Higuain joins Inter Miami after Juventus exit

    Inter Miami have confirmed the signing of Gonzalo Higuain following the termination of his contract with Serie A champions Juventus. 

    Juve announced on Thursday that the former Argentina international's contract had been cancelled in a move that will cost them €18.3million.

    The 32-year-old, who arrived at Juve from Napoli in 2016 and won three Serie A titles and two Coppa Italia trophies with the club, links up with former Bianconeri team-mate Blaise Matuidi at the MLS side. 

    Higuain, who becomes Miami's third designated player alongside Rodolfo Pizarro and Matias Pellegrini, has an existing relationship with Inter Miami co-owner David Beckham, having played alongside him eight times for Real Madrid during the 2006-07 season. 

    Miami have struggled to generate goals this season, with the club bottom of the Eastern Conference after scoring just nine times in 11 games; something Higuain hopes to address. 

    "I feel good; I feel whole as a player," he told the club's official website. "I'm motivated to try a new league and help the team grow. Individually, my goal is to demonstrate that I can contribute and continue playing great football here, and I hope I can achieve that because I have all the tools necessary to succeed. 

    "Inter Miami is a team in construction but there is already a good base to reach important goals.

    "I think it will be a beautiful experience in my life. It's what I was looking for; a new experience, a new league and a beautiful city. I'm really happy to be here and that it's official. My goal is to try to transmit all the experience I acquired in Europe and to help the team grow."

    Higuain will be available for the club after completing a mandatory quarantine period under local government and MLS health and safety protocol.

  • Lampard expects Bale to show his class upon Spurs return: 'He's one of the best in the world' Lampard expects Bale to show his class upon Spurs return: 'He's one of the best in the world'

    Chelsea boss Frank Lampard expects "incredible" Gareth Bale to give Tottenham a major boost if he secures a return to the Premier League club.

    Bale left Spurs for Real Madrid in 2013 for a then-world record fee of €100milion (£85m) and he went on to enjoy huge success in Spain.

    But the past few years have been tumultuous for the Welshman and he finally appears set to leave Madrid in favour of a return to Spurs, having already arrived in London to complete a deal alongside Sergio Reguilon, a team-mate of his at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    Bale developed into one of the Premier League's best players during his first spell with Spurs, during which time he regularly played against Lampard.

    And, presuming the deal goes through without a hitch, Lampard believes Chelsea's potential top-four rivals are getting one of the world's finest players.

    "Gareth Bale is an incredible player, an incredible individual talent who we remember very well from his Premier League days and the successes he's had at Real Madrid," Lampard told reporters on Friday.

    "If he does go to Tottenham, which I keep seeing is going to happen, then I think he'll be a big addition to their squad.

    "Of course, they've got very good individuals at Tottenham, they're a team that's expected to challenge in the Champions League places and above.

    "They have fantastic individuals and if they get Gareth Bale they'll have another for sure. He's one of the best players in the world in my opinion over the last four or five seasons."

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.