Reggae Boyz Antigua hotel nightmare reportedly resolved

By November 12, 2019

Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz have reportedly settled into a new hotel in Antigua following the embarrassing scenario on Monday when the team was met by deplorable conditions at the Starfish Halcyon Cove Resort.

Jamaica plays Antigua and Barbuda on the CONCACAF Nations League on Friday, November 15.

Reports from Antigua said the players refused to report to training on Tuesday as many did not sleep Monday night due to a multitude of issues including faulty air conditioning units, mosquito infestation and the general state of the rooms.

Team manager Roy Simpson told the Jamaica Observer that the team doctor expressed some serious concerns with the state of the rooms and that several guests at the hotel were coughing and sneezing.

Consequently, the players sought assurances from the Jamaica Football Federation hierarchy that the situation would be urgently dealt with.

However, by late Monday, the JFF reported that they had resolved the accommodation issues.

“The JFF wishes to explain that the initial hotel chosen for accommodation came well recommended but it was learnt that current renovations had made many of the available rooms inappropriate and a health risk,” the governing body said in a statement released to the media.

“On hearing of the conditions and the dissatisfaction of the players and staff, the President immediately instructed that an alternative hotel should be secured. This was done and reports are that the delegation is now settled in the Verandah Resort and Spa. The JFF publicly apologises to the delegation for the inconvenience and embarrassment.”

Sportsmax.TV understands that the JFF received close to full restitution of the money spent to book the rooms.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Messi's retirement hint not a worry for Barcelona boss Valverde Messi's retirement hint not a worry for Barcelona boss Valverde

    Ernesto Valverde is not concerned about Lionel Messi retiring anytime soon after the Barcelona star suggested he was beginning to think about bringing his playing days to a close when he received a record sixth Ballon d'Or.

    Messi, 32, overtook long-time rival Cristiano Ronaldo in the Ballon d'Or stakes on Monday when he beat the Portugal forward and Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk to the individual gong, despite the latter being many people's favourite.

    During Messi's acceptance speech, he remarked that he is "aware of how old I am, everything happens very quickly and I know that the moment of withdrawal is approaching".

    Barca team-mate Luis Suarez insisted Messi's comments had been misinterpreted by many, adamant the Argentina great will "continue for a long while yet".

    And Valverde says he sees Messi's state of mind as entirely normal, convinced his comments have been blown out of proportion.

    Speaking ahead of Saturday's visit of Real Mallorca, Valverde said: "It seems natural [to think about retirement]. It seems normal.

    "Leo is 32 years old and, although I don't think he is thinking about retirement, it is something that is there [in the future].

    "When a player goes over 30 [years old], he always sees the end closer than when he starts, but come on, I think it goes around too much.

    "You have to see it naturally. It happens to everyone as the years go by. To think about it doesn't mean it's going to be in three days."

    The privilege of coaching Messi is not lost on Valverde, though he expects the honour to become even more apparent in the future.

    "One is aware of that, but sometimes the day-by-day does not let you enjoy it at all," Valverde said.

    "I think they are things that are valued more over time. I am aware that I have the great fortune to be able to say in a time that I have trained Leo.

    "In the same way that the elders talk about [Real Madrid great Alfredo] Di Stefano, we can tell those who come after we were in Messi's time and we enjoyed it, some as close as me."

  • Arteta 'ready' to manage but Guardiola hopes assistant stays at Manchester City Arteta 'ready' to manage but Guardiola hopes assistant stays at Manchester City

    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola insists there have been no approaches for Mikel Arteta and he wants the assistant coach to stay with the club.

    Arteta has been linked with the vacant Arsenal top job after Unai Emery was sacked. The former Gunners midfielder was also among the candidates to replace Arsene Wenger 18 months ago.

    The 37-year-old is also reported to be of interest to Everton, another of his former clubs as a player, who dismissed Marco Silva on Thursday.

    However, Guardiola reiterated his desire to keep Arteta in City's coaching ranks, and he is confident of him staying at least until the end of the Premier League season.

    "There has been no approach," Guardiola said in his news conference ahead of Saturday's visit of Manchester United.

    "Have I spoken to him about his future? No. Do I want him to stay? Yes."

    In an interview with Sky Sports, Guardiola acknowledged Arteta was "ready" to take a job in management but should only accept a suitable position.

    "I said last game he'll be close to me against Manchester United and hopefully he can stay, but at the end of the season I don't know what will happen," Guardiola said.

    "He will be here until the end of the season, yes, I think so. I'm not a guy who puts a hand on my staff to say what they have to do. We are human beings and everyone has dreams and desires.

    "He's ready. It's the right time when he gets an offer, and he takes the offer. If you tell me ready about his knowledge of the game, as a human, professional, work ethic, he is ready, absolutely. He's ready."

    When asked whether Arteta should succeed him as City boss, Guardiola gave a positive verdict.

    "He is able to, absolutely," Guardiola added. "But it depends on him, the club, many things I cannot decide.

    "When I arrived here, we are in touch to work together, I was convinced on that, and he was convinced to help us. The time we are together, it's magnificent.

    "Hopefully he stays this year, next year, for as long as possible at this club, that would be my dream, but Mikel has his own life and I will never say what he has to do."

  • Tuchel: PSG missing Verratti - and a little confidence Tuchel: PSG missing Verratti - and a little confidence

    Thomas Tuchel concedes Paris Saint-Germain are not performing as he would hope and are lacking confidence, while he believes Marco Verratti's absence does not help.

    PSG are five points clear of nearest challengers Marseille at the top of Ligue 1, with a game in hand, and they are through to the last 16 of the Champions League as Group A winners ahead of Real Madrid.

    But Tuchel has not been enthused by his side's recent performances, even with comfortable 2-0 wins over Lille and Nantes sandwiching a gripping draw at Madrid.

    Star midfielder Verratti played 90 minutes against Madrid on November 26 on his return from a knee injury, but he missed Wednesday's victory over Nantes with a thigh issue and will not feature again at Montpellier on Saturday.

    Ander Herrera is out, too, with Idrissa Gueye also a doubt in a further blow to Tuchel's options in the centre of the pitch.

    Tuchel said of Verratti's absence: "Of course, it changes things. He gives quality and personality to the team, he always gives 100 per cent, he has a lot of influence, and he's always a positive guy.

    "It is clear we are missing him, but we must be careful with him. He played 90 very hard minutes against Madrid, but we expect him in the team against Galatasaray."

    Tuchel preferred not to go into detail on the reasons for PSG's struggles, although he claimed their performances in training prove the quality is there.

    "It's like this: we are in a phase where we are not playing our best football," he acknowledged.

    "We want to talk about performances, not just results. It is up to us to analyse and we must admit that we are in a phase where everything is not easy.

    "There are reasons, but I do not want to talk too much. This is something that has lasted for several weeks. We have ideas, and I said honestly [after Nantes] that we were not satisfied with the performances.

    "But I remain totally positive and it is good that we play again tomorrow."

    He added: "I am convinced that there is not just one reason. And why am I positive? Because I see my team every day in training.

    "It's a little weird because we show a lot of quality and intensity during training. We have had 20 to 23 players for two or three weeks in training.

    "We have gained intensity during the sessions but cannot necessarily show it during the matches. It's a little weird.

    "The team has a good state of mind every day. Yesterday again, they were extraordinary. The guys who did not play a lot were great. The guys are disappointed they did not play but they give everything, they are together.

    "We have to show it during the matches, but we must not force it. We may be lacking a little bit of confidence, but we do not lack quality."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.