Leon Bailey further sidelined with another injury

By October 19, 2019
Leon Bailey Leon Bailey

Jamaica international Leon Bailey has picked up another hamstring injury, just days after the Bayer Leverkusen winger stated on social media that he had fully recovered from a similar setback on September 18.

The 22-year-old was expected to be in Bayer squad for the German Bundesliga game against Eintracht Frankfurt on Friday. However, just before the start of the match that Bayer lost 3-0, Bailey announced the further setback on his Instagram page.

"Found out this morning, the day of the game that I tore my hamstring again and now ruled out for some weeks," the post said.

"It's really been a rough month and half for me but I do trust in God and God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers. Thanks to everyone who's been truly supportive during this difficult period. I promise I will come back stronger than ever before."

Earlier this week, Bailey had posted on his Instagram page that "I am back now, and I feel very good.  But of course, after an injury, it's important not to rush anything. Maybe I come off the bench,” Bailey said in making reference to the game against Eintracht Frankfurt on Friday.

"I think I'll be in the squad, but I do not know if I'll start."

Just four weeks ago, Bailey suffered a muscle injury and was replaced at half-time in a 1-2 loss to Lokomotiv Moscow in the Champions League.

Bailey has scored two goals in six games for Bayer this season.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Bayern's Coman up and running again after France setback Bayern's Coman up and running again after France setback

    Kingsley Coman was back running at Bayern Munich's training ground after leaving the France squad early with a muscle problem.

    Coman was forced off in the 88th minute of France's 2-1 Euro 2020 qualifying victory over Moldova on Thursday. He was sent home early by France, meaning he missed Sunday's 2-0 away win in Albania.

    An examination by Bayern's chief medical officer Dr. Hans Muller-Wohlfahrt revealed a muscle hardening in his thigh.

    Bayern said the former Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus forward would undertake a reduced training programme following the injury but he appeared to making progress at the club's Saebener Strasse training ground on Tuesday.

    The defending Bundesliga champions are third in the table, four points adrift of leaders Borussia Monchengladbach.

    Bayern visit Fortuna Dusseldorf on Saturday, before travelling to Serbia to face Red Star Belgrade in the Champions League.

  • Rumour Has It: Pogba prefers Juve over Madrid, Pochettino nears Tottenham exit Rumour Has It: Pogba prefers Juve over Madrid, Pochettino nears Tottenham exit

    Paul Pogba has decided where he wants his next move to be, while Mauricio Pochettino is nearing a Tottenham exit.

    Pogba, 26, was linked with a Manchester United departure during the close season but ended up staying at Old Trafford.

    However, the France midfielder's future remains a talking point.

     

    TOP STORY – POGBA PREFERS JUVENTUS RETURN OVER MADRID MOVE

    Pogba would prefer to return to Juventus but would not say no to Real Madrid, according to Tuttosport.

    The Serie A champions and LaLiga giants were the two clubs most heavily linked with a move for Pogba – who is contracted until 2021 – during the close season.

    A potential Juve deal for Pogba could see Mario Mandzukic head to Manchester United, the report says.

    ROUND-UP

    - Pochettino has held "crisis talks" with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy as he nears an exit, according to The Telegraph. Spurs have struggled this season and sit 14th in the Premier League table through 12 games.

    - While Mandzukic is wanted by United, Borussia Dortmund are ready to compete for the striker, according to Kicker. Mandzukic starred during two seasons with Bayern Munich before leaving the Bundesliga in 2014.

    - Spain have offered Luis Enrique a chance to lead the nation at Euro 2020, according to AS. The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) have called a news conference for Tuesday, with Luis Enrique reportedly set to replace Robert Moreno at the helm.

    - Manchester United are preparing to try to sign both Borussia Dortmund's Jadon Sancho and RB Salzburg's Erling Haaland in January, according to Goal. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to try and strengthen his squad with United nine points adrift of the top four in the Premier League.

    - Chelsea attacker Willian and Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz have slowed contract talks with their respective clubs amid interest from Barcelona, according to Mundo Deportivo. Willian is out of contract at season's end, while Fabian's deal runs until 2023.

    - Manchester City are considering making a move for RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano, according to the Mirror. The Premier League champions lost Aymeric Laporte to a knee injury in September and may look to strengthen, although the Frenchman is expected to be back in early 2020.

  • Southgate has no plans to quit England role ahead of 2022 World Cup Southgate has no plans to quit England role ahead of 2022 World Cup

    Gareth Southgate plans to stay on as England manager for the 2022 World Cup if he feels there is "warmth" for him to continue, though he acknowledged that could depend on his side's performance at Euro 2020.

    England secured their place at next year's finals with a 7-0 rout of Montenegro last week, before rounding off their qualification campaign in style by beating Kosovo 4-0.

    After reaching the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup, the last four of the UEFA Nations League and qualifying for Euro 2020 comfortably at the top of Group A, Southgate conceded his side will now be singled out as one of the teams to beat in the tournament.

    And the former Middlesbrough manager is aware how his position could change should England fail to impress next year.

    "When you have a week like I've had, you sense that people can fall out of love with you and if there isn't a warmth for you to continue, then that can start to affect the team," Southgate, who dropped Raheem Sterling from his squad for the clash with Montenegro after the Manchester City forward's tussle with team-mate Joe Gomez, told reporters.

    "So, I'm realistic about how quickly those tides can turn. For me, it's about what's next and I know in the end we'll always be judged ultimately by the tournaments.

    "We've got to accept that [England are one of the favourites]. We should go in feeling confident about ourselves and, equally, we know there are areas of the game we've got to get better at. But I think all the top teams will feel the same.

    "The players have the belief and we've got to keep giving them that belief, but we don't tell them lies, we are pretty honest with our appraisals of their performances and the sorts of matches they're going in to."

    Southgate, however, will still be planning, even if he is uncertain as to whether he will lead England at the Qatar World Cup.

    "I think when I started and we looked at other federations, we were almost embarrassed to go and look at where we should be preparing for," Southgate explained.

    "And Germany were always there and they'd already secured the best hotel. So, I think we've had to be a bit bolder and say, 'no, look, it's not a jinx to go and do it'. We've got to have belief in what we're doing and execute the right preparation.

    "Without taking any focus off what we're doing next summer we've got to get the next bit right, otherwise we'll be behind the curve. I think the best organisations get that short-, mid- and long-term planning right."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.