Fit-again Bailey eyes return to Leverkusen squad

By Sports Desk October 17, 2019
Jamaica international Leon Bailey. Jamaica international Leon Bailey.

Jamaica international Leon Bailey is primed to return to action for Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen having fully recovered from a hamstring injury suffered last month.

The 22-year-old, who is looking to rediscover his best form at the Bundesliga club, could be on the bench for the team’s match away to Eintracht Frankfurt.  Prior to the injury, the winger made four appearances for the team, scoring once.

Bailey has had a torrid time of late with injuries.  In April the player experienced another setback, on that occasion straining a thigh muscle.  Having worked hard at rehabilitation, the player insists he is ready to go again and could be in line for a start.

"I am back now, and I feel very good.  But of course, after an injury, it's important not to rush anything. Maybe I come off the bench,” Bailey said.

"I think I'll be in the squad, but I do not know if I'll start."

In addition to Bailey, other players making a comeback are Lars Bender and Jonathan Tah.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Havertz still pushing for Chelsea move as Man Utd eye Fati, Dembele Rumour Has It: Havertz still pushing for Chelsea move as Man Utd eye Fati, Dembele

    Kai Havertz is reportedly still pushing for a move to Chelsea, while Manchester United are considering their options.

    Havertz has been heavily linked with a move to Chelsea after an impressive season with Bayer Leverkusen.

    The attacker may be getting closer to a switch to Stamford Bridge.

     

    TOP STORY – HAVERTZ STILL PUSHING FOR CHELSEA MOVE

    Havertz is still pushing for a move to Chelsea from Leverkusen, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    The Germany international would join Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech in heading to Chelsea ahead of 2020-21.

    Havertz scored 18 goals and provided nine assists in 45 games for Leverkusen this season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - With Jadon Sancho potentially staying at Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United could look elsewhere. Sport reports United are insisting on Barcelona's teenage forward Ansu Fati and are willing to pay more than £90million (€100m). Meanwhile, ESPN reports United are looking at another Barcelona attacker in Ousmane Dembele.

    - Real Madrid are considering their options ahead of next season. AS reports the LaLiga champions will bring back Martin Odegaard, who has been on loan at Real Sociedad, and Dani Ceballos, the latter having spent time on loan at Arsenal.

    - Chelsea are linked with numerous moves ahead of 2020-21. However, The Guardian reports they are yet to make a bid for West Ham star Declan Rice.

    - After a fine career at Manchester City, David Silva is leaving the Premier League giants. The Guardian reports Silva, 34, will join Lazio on a three-year deal.

    - Quincy Promes has caught the eye at Ajax. The Sun reports Arsenal are eyeing a £25m (€27.8m) move for the forward, who netted 16 times in 28 games in 2019-20.

    - Mario Gotze is set to have plenty of interest after leaving Borussia Dortmund. However, Sport Bild reports the 28-year-old has rejected a move to MLS side Inter Miami.

  • Heracles 'welcome' Havertz after Bosz's quip about Chelsea target Heracles 'welcome' Havertz after Bosz's quip about Chelsea target

    Bayer Leverkusen's defeat in the Europa League quarter-finals may be no laughing matter but that has not stopped the jokes surrounding Kai Havertz's future.

    The Bundesliga side were defeated 2-1 by Inter on Monday to crash out at the quarter-final stage of a competition that is being completed in Germany.

    It did not take long following the match for questions to be posed about Germany star Havertz, who is strongly rumoured to be close to completing a move to Premier League side Chelsea.

    Leverkusen coach Peter Bosz could not resist the temptation to have a little fun when he said Havertz is heading off to join Dutch side Heracles Almelo, a side Bosz has coached twice.

    "Yes, I can exclusively announce he'll play for Heracles Almelo," Bosz joked at his post-match news conference.

    Heracles themselves then joined in the fun, mocking up a photo of Havertz in the club's jersey accompanied by a "welcome" message.

    "Welkom Kai #AnnounceHavertz," read a post on Twitter, with a customary eyes emoji for good measure.

    Chelsea have long been chasing Havertz, though the two clubs are seemingly at an impasse with the Blues said to favour a structured deal that starts at £70million.

    Speaking last week, sporting director Rudi Voller warned there is no "COVID discount" for Leverkusen's prized asset.

    "We know of the interest of a couple of clubs, especially Chelsea, but for us, the situation is quite simple: he has a two-year contract, if anyone wants him on our terms, fine, otherwise he stays here another year and we are happy," Voller told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

    "It won't be easy, but for an artist like him there is no COVID discount."

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd not giving up on Sancho, Havertz nearing Chelsea move Rumour Has It: Man Utd not giving up on Sancho, Havertz nearing Chelsea move

    The Jadon Sancho transfer saga continues to ramble on.

    Borussia Dortmund insist Sancho will not leave following Monday's apparent deadline, while Manchester United are still eyeing the English sensation.

    Will Sancho be gracing Old Trafford in 2020-21?

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED STILL TARGETING SANCHO

    Manchester United are not giving up on signing Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho, according to reports in the UK.

    United were dealt a blow on Monday when Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc said Sancho will remain with the Bundesliga club in 2020-21.

    Despite United's frustration over negotiations, the Independent and Goal claim the Red Devils are still pursuing the England international.

     

    ROUND-UP

    Kai Havertz is closing in on a move to Chelsea, reports the Evening Standard. The Bayer Leverkusen star is "desperate" to join Chelsea following the German club's Europa League exit on Monday.

    Andrea Pirlo's Juventus overhaul is underway. Calciomercato and Tuttomercatoweb say Blaise Matuidi is set to move to David Beckham's Inter Miami in MLS. Aaron Ramsey, Gonzalo Higuain, Sami Khedira, Daniele Rugani, Mattia De Sciglio and Douglas Costa are also on the chopping block following Maurizio Sarri's exit. United have been linked with a move for Costa.

    - Sky Sport reports Chelsea and Barcelona are battling to sign Ajax left-back Nicolas Tagliafico. Atletico Madrid are also reportedly interested.

    Milan are looking to re-sign star midfielder Franck Kessie, according to Calciomercato. Kessie is wanted by city rivals Inter.

    - L'Equipe says Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes is set to decide his future. Gabriel will choose between United, Arsenal, Everton and Napoli. RMC and L'Equipe, meanwhile, report Gent star Jonathan David will undergo a medical at Lille on Tuesday ahead of his €32million transfer.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.