Surging Portmore register fifth straight win

By March 03, 2019

Surging Portmore United registered a fifth straight Red Stripe Premier League win, following a 1-0 triumph over UWI, despite going down to 10-men in the encounter on Sunday.

The defending champions looked to have found themselves in a tight spot after Damano Thomas received a straight red card in the 68th minute.  Their nerves were soon settled, however, after striker Javon East converted a 76th-minute penalty to extend their lead at the top of the table to eight points.

The race to avoid the drop tightened at the other end of the table, when Leslie St Fleur netted a crucial late goal for Montego Bay United for a 2-1 win over Reno. In the relegation six pointer, Dwayne Ambusley put the visitors ahead in the 17th minute but Donovan Brown brought Reno back on level terms in the 59th minute.

The result moved Montego Bay, who are currently in the relegation zone with Reno to within one of Harbour View.  The Stars of the East saw the distance between themselves and the relegation zone lessen following a 1-1 draw with Tivoli.  Tevin Scott gave Habour View the start they dreamt of after just three minutes but Tivoli pegged things back nine minutes later when Colorado Murray brought the visitors on level terms. 

Promoted Dunbeholden also failed to add to their buffer and remain just one point above Harbour View following a 1-1 draw with Cavalier.  In a hot-tempered affair, Nicholas Hamilton and Dunbeholden’s Kemo Gayle were both ejected from the pitch 30 minutes into the encounter.  Luke Rankine then put host Cavalier ahead in the 41st minute but Dunbeholder struck back early in the first half through Lorenzo Dubidad.  Despite Jeremy Nelson receiving a second yellow card in the 63rd minute to leave Cavalier down to nine men, Dunbeholden failed to press home the advantage.  Elsewhere, Mount Pleasant registered a 1-0 over Humble Lion.

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Galatasaray leading race to sign Babel Galatasaray leading race to sign Babel

    Ryan Babel has had offers from several teams but says Galatasaray have made the most tempting proposal.

    The Netherlands international is looking for a new club after being released by Fulham following their relegation from the Premier League in 2018-19.

    The 32-year-old has been strongly linked with a return to the Turkish Super Lig, where he won the title with Besiktas in 2016-17.

    Despite his past allegiances, Babel says he would have no problem in accepting a move to Galatasaray, although he is yet to decide his future.

    "They have the best offer at the moment. I don't have to make a secret of that," he told Algemeen Dagblad when asked about the rumours linking him with the Turkish champions.

    "But there are also discussions with other clubs.

    "It wouldn't be the first time in football or my own career for things to go differently than expected, so I will just have to wait and see."

    Babel scored five goals in 16 league appearances for Fulham after joining in January on a short-term deal.

    The former Liverpool winger also spent two seasons with Turkish side Kasimpasa earlier in his career.

  • Suarez hits out at questions over Barcelona commitment Suarez hits out at questions over Barcelona commitment

    Luis Suarez has issued an angry response to questions over his commitment to Barcelona after he missed the Copa del Rey final due to knee surgery.

    The Uruguay striker opted to have an operation on a meniscus problem in his right knee just days after the Champions League semi-final exit at the hands of Liverpool.

    It meant the 32-year-old could not play in Barca's last two LaLiga games of the season against Getafe and Eibar and also sat out the Copa del Rey final on Saturday, in which Valencia claimed a 2-1 win.

    There have been suggestions Suarez chose to have treatment in order to be fit for the Copa America in Brazil and would not have done so had Barca reached the Champions League final, but he has slammed those suggestions.

    In a statement released on social media, Suarez described the day after the loss to Valencia as a "day of sadness and disappointment" but insisted he was "very proud of all of [his team-mates], who tried everything possible to give our fans a joy".

    He then explained: "I am not much of clarifying things that are said about me and that reach people, but this time I see myself with the obligation to do it, since I believe that many of the things that are being said are with bad intention and question my professionalism.

    "This year I started the season with discomfort in the cartilage, which many people already know, and with the GREAT WORK of the club's medical staff I managed to endure without any problem. To all of them, thank you very much for your work and dedication.

    "That is why I want to clarify, especially to all those who seem to want to hurt me, that the injury that led me to undergo surgery has absolutely nothing to do with the cartilage, but because of a meniscus tear that I suffered in the tie against Liverpool. That is why I was forced to go through the operating room and miss the final yesterday against my will.

    "I have shown every day since I arrived at this club that I am 100 per cent involved, I give it all in every training [session] and in every match for this shield [badge]. Because it has always been and it is my dream to be here!"

  • Sancho 'guaranteed' to stay at Borussia Dortmund Sancho 'guaranteed' to stay at Borussia Dortmund

    Jadon Sancho is guaranteed to stay at Borussia Dortmund for next season, according to CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke.

    England winger Sancho has been heavily linked with Manchester United after a standout 2018-19 in the Bundesliga, in which he registered 12 goals and 14 assists in 34 appearances.

    Dortmund have always maintained they do not intend to sell the 19-year-old, though, and Watzke has made it clear Sancho is not on the market.

    "It can be assumed that Jadon will not play more than 10 years at BVB," he said to Bild. "But we have clear agreements about the present. Jadon is not on the market and he plays next season at Borussia Dortmund, guaranteed."

    Dortmund, who missed out on the league title to Bayern Munich by two points, have wasted little time in strengthening their squad.

    Deals for Julian Brandt, Thorgan Hazard and Nico Schulz have all been confirmed in the past week, with the majority of the outlay funded by Christian Pulisic's move to Chelsea.

    "If you look at the transfer fees, you see that we were not wasteful: we got around 64million euros for Christian Pulisic and invested about 10million euros net in the three new signings," said Watzke.

    "We turned one into three. My big compliment goes to our sporting director Michael Zorc."

    Next up among Dortmund's priorities is to extend the contracts of head coach Lucien Favre and midfielder Mario Gotze, with Watzke saying: "I feel they both feel very well. We will deal with these two topics in the next few weeks. We want to extend with both.

    "With the runner-up spot, he [Favre] achieved more than we expected. He has finally given the team a clear style of play again. Lucien is the right person for Dortmund. In the second and third year, it will become clear whether we can collect titles together."

    Champions Bayern have also made significant moves in the market, spending a reported €118m on deals for Lucas Hernandez, Benjamin Pavard and 19-year-old Jann-Fiete Arp.

    They are also interested in Manchester City's Leroy Sane, something Watzke says he would be happy to see.

    "I think it would be very good if Bayern bring Leroy Sane back as a German national player, because that would increase the appeal of the league. I would be the first to congratulate them," he added.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.