Jamaica-born Man City winger Sterling reaches out to racially abused fan

By Sports Desk January 11, 2019

Jamaica-born Manchester City star has offered words of encouragement to a young British fan that has struggled with facing racial abuse.

The plight of the 13-year-old Manchester City fan was brought to the attention of the Sterling by his grandmother.

 According to the letter penned to the England international, the concerned matriarch revealed Ethan Ross, a young goalkeeper in the under-14s team at Newport County, had been badly affected after suffering abuse from bullies in Newport last year.

"Dear Ethan, I have recently been told from your loving Nanna Sue about the tough time you are having with racial abuse," wrote Sterling, quoted by BBC Sport.

"Stand tall, don't let them take away your courage. You are strong and very brave and your nanna is also very proud of you. Keep being you kid."

Sterling has himself been the target of racial abuse.  Most recently the league suspended four Chelsea supporters who abused the Manchester City winger during a Premier League match at Stamford Bridge.

Related items

  • Mahrez makes Arsenal move claim and says Leicester cost him 'two years' of career Mahrez makes Arsenal move claim and says Leicester cost him 'two years' of career

    Manchester City winger Riyad Mahrez claims he almost joined Arsenal in 2016 and accused Leicester City of costing him "two years at the highest level".

    Algeria international Mahrez was the star turn in the Foxes side that shocked the football world to win the Premier League title in the 2015-16 campaign under Claudio Ranieri.

    However, the Foxes struggled in their defence the following season and Mahrez sought a move away from the King Power Stadium.

    Mahrez finally got his wish in July 2018 when he joined City for a reported £60million and he won a Premier League, FA Cup and EFL Cup treble in his maiden campaign.

    But the 28-year-old felt he should have been allowed to move on sooner.

    Speaking to France Football, Mahrez said: "After the title-winning year, if I was in a top team, it would not have been the same story.

    "For me, it is clear that I lost two years at the very highest level. I lost two years!

    "Because instead of being at City at 27, I could have been there at 24 or 25. Leicester blocked me. They told me: 'You cannot go, you cannot go!'

    "My agent had talked with [Arsene] Wenger, who really wanted to sign me, [and] it was almost done with Arsenal in the summer of 2016... I was really frustrated.

    "It's not easy to go from being the PFA Players' Player of the Year to being part of a team fighting for Premier League survival. It's not the same job.

    "Everyone is waiting on you and expects you to perform."

  • Neil Warnock leaves Cardiff City post Neil Warnock leaves Cardiff City post

    Neil Warnock has left Cardiff City by mutual consent, the Championship club have confirmed.

    The veteran manager previously said he would not continue beyond the end of his contract, which was due to expire at the end of the season.

    However, Warnock is to leave his post with immediate effect with the Bluebirds – relegated from the Premier League last term – languishing 14th in the second tier.

    "Today I am leaving my beloved Bluebirds after over three years of which have been some of the best days in my long football career," Warnock said via a Cardiff statement. 

    "I would like to thank Vincent Tan and Ken Choo for their support; Victoria my secretary who has had to look after me over the years; Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson, my ever-faithful sidekicks and friends; and all the backroom staff on both the coaching and the medical sides who have worked tirelessly to help us achieve the success we have had. 

    "A special mention also to all of my players, past and present, who have given me everything. Thank you, you're a great bunch."

    Warnock was appointed by Cardiff in October 2016 and led the team in promotion to the Premier League in the 2017-18 campaign.

  • Supercopa de Espana's confirmed revamp tees up potential February Clasico in Saudi Arabia Supercopa de Espana's confirmed revamp tees up potential February Clasico in Saudi Arabia

    A new four-team format has been finalised for the Supercopa de Espana that will see the competition moved to Saudi Arabia for the next three years, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has confirmed.

    RFEF president Luis Rubiales revealed a proposal to convert the season curtain-raiser into a mini-tournament in February this year.

    Last season's Supercopa – traditionally a two-legged affair played between the winners of LaLiga and the Copa del Rey – was the first to be played abroad, as Barcelona beat Sevilla 2-1 in Tangier, Morocco, with the singular match officially classed as a friendly.

    But the success of the contest from the RFEF's perspective proved its viability and it is pushing ahead with the plans having struck an agreement for Saudi Arabia to play host over the next three years, starting in February 2020.

    With four teams – the Copa finalists and LaLiga's top two – set to be involved, the RFEF has moved the competition to Spain's winter in order to "lighten the calendar", instead of playing it at the start of the season.

    Following confirmation of the revamp on Monday, the RFEF also revealed the historic first fixtures, with Real Madrid and Barcelona facing Valencia and Atletico Madrid, respectively, in the semi-finals, teeing up a potential Clasico finale on February 12.

    Copa del Rey holders Valencia were particularly vocal in their opposition of the initial plans put forward by the RFEF, while many criticised the governing body for fraternising with a country that has a questionable human rights record.

    But the RFEF has called the deal an "engine for social change" and confirmed women will be allowed "unrestricted access to the matches" and the launch of a women's football competition in the region.

    RFEF believe the internationalisation of the competition will improve its credibility and subsequently boost Spain's bid to host the 2030 World Cup.

    Media reports have claimed the RFEF stands to bring in €40million for every season the Supercopa is hosted in Saudi Arabia. Aside from club prize money, the federation pledges to invest all its entire income from the agreement in amateur football.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.