Warner blasts standard of T&T Pro League

By January 04, 2019
Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner. Former FIFA vice president Jack Warner.

Former FIFA vice president and local football head Jack Warner has lambasted the standard of the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League.

In a wide-ranging interview, which spoke to the overall state of football in the twin-island republic, Warner pointed to the level of play in local football league as a primary concern.  The league has often been plunged into chaos in recent years with players and clubs threatening to take strike action over unpaid wages.

As it stands, the league is heavily reliant on Government subvention and corporate support but it seems Warner is unconvinced of its benefits.

“You can’t expect to be asking how much you going to pay me and you can’t trap a ball, you can’t pass a ball,” Warner told T&T based news source CCN TV6.

“Right now the only thing professional about the T&T Pro League is the name pro.  There’s nothing professional about it.  Who today would pay a dollar to see a player play in the Pro League,” he added.

“Name for me five players in the Pro League who have substance.”

The former football administrator who is currently fighting extradition to the United States relating to corruption charges during his tenure as a FIFA Vice president.

Kwesi Mugisa

Kwesi has been a sports journalist with more than 10-years’ experience in the field. First as a Sports Reporter with The Gleaner in the early 2000s before he made the almost natural transition to becoming an editor. Since then he has led the revamp of The Star’s sports offering, making it a more engaging and forward-thinking component of the most popular tabloid newspaper in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Highly regarded US import Stranger Danger returns to Caymanas Park Highly regarded US import Stranger Danger returns to Caymanas Park

    This week, the exciting US import Stranger Danger hit the track again at Caymanas Park as a heavy favourite at 1-9 under ex-champion jockey Omar Walker for trainer Wayne DaCosta.

  • Ambrose bothered by Bravo form ahead of ICC World Cup Ambrose bothered by Bravo form ahead of ICC World Cup

    Windies legend Curtly Ambrose has admitted to being concerned by the form of top-order batsman Darren Bravo, heading into the ICC World Cup later this month.

    The 30-year-old Bravo, who only recently rejoined the team following a two-year break, showed plenty of grit in a surprise Test series win for the Windies against England two months ago.  The batsman also made a decent contribution in the preceding ODI series averaging 31.5, including one half-century in two games.

    The Trinidad and Tobago national has, however, struggled to continue that traction in the current tri-nation series.  In four matches so far the batsman’s highest score has been 17.  It is those statistics that have Ambrose concerned.

    “We must really be concerned about his form because we need him to really come to the party and produce the runs that we know he is capable of doing,” Ambrose said.

    “Because as we go deep into this World Cup and in order to get out of the group stages, we can’t rely on one, two or three players. We need a whole team to click or most of the team to click, for us to get out of the group stages,” he added.

    “So I am concerned about Darren Bravo’s form but I feel that he’s good enough to get out of that slump and produce the runs for us.”

  • TT table tennis great Dexter St Louis dead at 51 TT table tennis great Dexter St Louis dead at 51

    Trinidad and Tobago Table Tennis legend Dexter St. Louis died on Thursday in France, media in Trinidad and Tobago are reporting.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.