Winners Jamaica were great, but must improve - Price

By September 03, 2018
Jamaica were dominant but they will have to be even better when they face the likes of the USA and Canada in the final round of World Cup qualifiers. Jamaica were dominant but they will have to be even better when they face the likes of the USA and Canada in the final round of World Cup qualifiers.

Even as Jamaica celebrates its senior women’s football team winning the CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s qualifiers with a 6-1 drubbing of Cuba on Sunday, Assistant Coach Andrew Price said the team has to be even better if it is to advance from the final round of competition in the USA from October 4 to 17.

Jamaica, who hosted the tournament, went unbeaten in the tournament. They opened with a 9-0 drubbing of Antigua and Barbuda and then blanked Bermuda 4-0 before coming from behind to beat Trinidad and Tobago 4-1.

The rout of Cuba completed what was as a strong campaign from the local girls. However, Price, who is optimistic about his team’s chances of advancing from the CONCACAF Women’s Championships in the United States next month, said the girls have to raise their game if they are to get by the likes of USA, Canada, Mexico as well as Costa Rica and Panama.

“The performance of the team over the tournament was excellent. I think we put in a workman-like performance throughout. To play 360 minutes in eight days is a tremendous effort that needed a lot of concentration and fixity of purpose and I think the girls really displayed that with a professional attitude,” Price said.

“It gave us a good preview for getting the team to gel together.  I think some of the areas that we need to continue to work on is our conversion rate. Even though the team scored 23 goals, I think we could have been more clinical in front of goal and that is something that we are going to have to work on.

“Also, we are also going to have to work on lessening our turnovers because against quality teams you can’t turn over the ball as often we did against these opponents, and we know that we are going to be playing against tougher opposition when we move into the final round in the United States.”

Price said competing at the CAC Games earlier this year, where Jamaica played stronger opponents from Central and South America, helped prepare the women for the Caribbean qualifiers and will continue to help them in the final round.

“We matched up very well with a lot of the teams and I think that since May when we played our first qualifying competition in Haiti. The team has grown and they are maturing and they are understanding each other much better and I as we continue we should do well and I am very optimistic about the final round,” Price said.

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Usain Bolt to become a dad for the first time Usain Bolt to become a dad for the first time

    The fastest man that has ever lived is about to become a dad.

  • Zidane the man for France when Deschamps leaves, says FFF president Zidane the man for France when Deschamps leaves, says FFF president

    France will target Zinedine Zidane to replace Didier Deschamps when the World Cup-winning coach departs, FFF president Noel Le Graet revealed.

    Real Madrid head coach Zidane has been linked with the France post previously, but he returned to the Santiago Bernabeu last year.

    Meanwhile, Deschamps, in charge of the national team since 2012, last month signed a contract extension to stay in his role through to the 2022 World Cup.

    The France boss has championed his former team-mate as a future coach of Les Bleus, though, and chief Le Graet is also keen.

    "The day Didier decides to leave or his contract is not renewed, if Zidane is available at that time, he will be the man for the job," Le Graet told Canal+.

    That opportunity could come as soon as 2022, as Deschamps' position beyond the Qatar World Cup is uncertain.

    "There is Qatar," Le Graet said. "Didier will be there and then, maybe afterwards, I don't know."

    Deschamps and Zidane won the 1998 World Cup together as players, before the former Juventus coach led his country to a second success two years ago in Russia.

    Zidane won three consecutive Champions League titles in his first stint as Madrid coach, later returning when the LaLiga giants were struggling last year.

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham to spend big on Willian Jose? Rumour Has It: Tottenham to spend big on Willian Jose?

    Have Tottenham finally found an alternative to Harry Kane?

    According to reports, Spurs are in talks to sign Real Sociedad's Willian Jose with just over a week to go until the transfer window closes.

    But it could take in excess of £50million to finally end their search for a second out-and-out striker.

     

    TOP STORY – SPURS TO DIG DEEP FOR SOCIEDAD STRIKER

    Krzysztof Piatek, Islam Slimani and Fernando Llorente have all been linked but Tottenham have now set their sights on 28-year-old Willian Jose, reports the Guardian.

    The Brazilian was left out of his side's Copa del Rey clash with Espanyol on Wednesday and could now be headed for north London.

    Talks are underway, the Guardian states, although Spurs could be forced to contemplate meeting Willian Jose's €70million (£59m) release clause as Sociedad seek adequate compensation.

    The one-time Real Madrid man has scored eight LaLiga goals this term after reaching double figures in each of the previous three seasons.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Dani Ceballos has asked Real Madrid to terminate his Arsenal loan and find him a move elsewhere, according to Spanish radio station Cadena SER.

    - The Gunners are set to suffer another blow as Ligue 1 outfit Lyon prepare to confirm the €25million signing of rumoured Atletico Madrid target Bruno Guimaraes, reports L'Equipe.

    - Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich will allow Philippe Coutinho to return to Barcelona at the end of his loan spell if, as desired, the Bundesliga giants land Leroy Sane and Bayer Leverkusen's Kai Havertz, reports Bild.

    - After sealing a deal for Reinier Jesus, Madrid could return to raid Flamengo for 19-year-old forward Lincoln, says Mundo Deportivo.

    - Leicester City plan to bolster their Champions League ambitions by splashing £15million on Southampton centre-back Jannik Vestergaard, according to The Sun.

    - Serie A side Milan have submitted an 18-month loan offer for Manchester City-linked Florentino Luis, claims CalcioMercato. The 20-year-old defensive midfielder plays for Benfica.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.