T&T women bolstered by return of record goalscorer ahead of Jamaica trip

By August 23, 2018

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association has been in the wars over the appointment of interim coach, Anton Corneal, but in the midst of the controversy and uncertainty about the senior women’s team, a light. 

Corneal, the TTFA’s technical director announced that Kenya Cordner, will be available for three of the four games the Women Soca Warriors will be playing in Jamaica from August 25 to September two.

The T&T women will be attempting to defend their Caribbean Championships title.

Cordner won’t be available for the first game because it does not fall inside FIFA’s international window and she will have to complete club obligations.

Cordner was among three players, who quit the national programme under the direction of Italian, Carolina Morace.

The captain of the team at the time last year, Maylee Attin-Johnson, and veteran winger Ahkeela Mollon also quit but have not indicated their interest in a return since.

 

“Nobody called or made themselves available so I’m going with the players that showed interest,” said Corneal.

“I’m just a caretaker coach, taking over from the group that was actually training; and then of course people that showed interest and would like to be part of it,” he added.

T&T begin their title defence against Cuba on the 25th, Antigua and Barbuda on the 29th and Jamaica on the 31st.

The tournament has high stakes with the top three teams earning a spot at the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

The fourth place team from the tournament will play in a playoff against Argentina for a spot. Argentina were the third-placed team in Conmebol qualifying.

Paul-Andre Walker

Paul-Andre is the Managing Editor at SportsMax.tv. He comes to the role with almost 20 years of experience as journalist. That experience includes all facets of media. He began as a sports Journalist in 2001, quickly moving into radio, where he was an editor before becoming a news editor and then an entertainment editor with one of the biggest media houses in the Caribbean.

Related items

  • Nzonzi leaving Roma for Galatasaray loan Nzonzi leaving Roma for Galatasaray loan

    Steven Nzonzi is to join Galatasaray on an initial season-long loan, Roma have confirmed.

    The Turkish Super Lig champions have the option to sign the World Cup-winning midfielder for €16million before June 30 next year.

    They can also extend the loan by another season for €500,000, after which they will retain a purchase option of €13m valid until June 30, 2021.

    "The club would like to wish Steven the best of luck for the future," Roma said in a statement.

    Nzonzi joined Roma from Sevilla for an initial fee of €26.65m last year, a month after his World Cup triumph with France in Russia.

    He made 30 appearances in Serie A last season, scoring once, as the Giallorossi finished sixth.

  • Neymar returns to Brazil squad after injury lay-off Neymar returns to Brazil squad after injury lay-off

    Paris Saint-Germain forward Neymar has been named in Brazil's squad for September friendlies against Colombia and Peru.

    The 27-year-old returns for his national side after missing out on selection for the 2019 Copa America through injury.

    Neymar ruptured ligaments in his ankle in a pre-tournament friendly against Qatar on June 5 and has not featured for club or country since, but Brazil coped well in his absence as they lifted the trophy on home soil.

    PSG sporting director Leonardo revealed on Thursday the forward's injury has "completely healed", however, and a return to action appears imminent, even if speculation over his future persists amid links to Real Madrid and former club Barcelona.

     

    Neymar is joined in Tite's 23-man squad by uncapped Real Madrid winger Vinicius Junior, who was overlooked for Copa America selection by Tite due to an ankle injury, while Flamengo's Bruno Henrique is in line to make his senior debut.

    There is no place for injured Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson, with Ivan being called up to provide cover for Ederson and Weverton.

    Santos left-back Jorge is also included for the games with Colombia on September 6 and Peru on September 10, as is Udinese's Samir, while Madrid defender Marcelo is among the absentees.


    Brazil squad in full:

    Ederson (Manchester City), Ivan (Ponte Preta), Weverton (Palmeiras); Dani Alves (Sao Paulo), Fagner (Corinthians), Jorge (Santos), Marquinhos (Paris Saint-Germain), Eder Militao (Real Madrid), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Samir (Udinese), Alex Sandro (Juventus); Allan (Napoli), Arthur (Barcelona), Casemiro (Real Madrid), Fabinho (Liverpool), Lucas Paqueta (AC Milan), Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona); Roberto Firmino (Liverpool), Bruno Henrique (Flamengo), David Neres (Ajax), Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain), Richarlison (Everton), Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid). 

  • Naby Keita out of Liverpool trip to Southampton with hip injury Naby Keita out of Liverpool trip to Southampton with hip injury

    Liverpool will again be without the injured Naby Keita when they visit Southampton in the Premier League on Saturday.

    Guinea international Keita has not recovered in time from a hip muscle strain suffered before the UEFA Super Cup victory over Chelsea.

    The midfielder was an unused substitute during last Friday's league win against Norwich City at Anfield and manager Jurgen Klopp confirmed there is no timescale for his return.

    "[He's] not available. It's a muscle thing," Klopp said when asked about the 24-year-old at his pre-match news conference.

    "We don't know exactly how long it will take, but he's not available."

    Keita is not Liverpool's only fitness concern, with goalkeeper Adrian potentially set to join Alisson on the sidelines.

    The Spaniard was left nursing a swollen ankle after a fan slipped and collided with him amid the on-pitch celebrations in Istanbul on Wednesday.

    Klopp will have to carefully assess his troops ahead of a third game in eight days, a schedule that does not sit comfortably with the German.

    "My plan when I heard about the fixtures was to win on Wednesday, to win on Saturday, then speak about it after that," he said.

    "If you speak about it earlier it sounds like you're looking for excuses. I don't, we don't [want to make excuses].

    "Was it right that we played on Friday and Chelsea on Sunday? No. That's the situation, we cannot change these things.

    "We have no power. We can only accept it. Now we don't think about it, we don't think about Wednesday night, we think about Saturday.

    "That's what we have to do - find a way to win the game. That's the reason why we go there and that's possible, so that's what we will try."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.