Lukaku backs Inzaghi to continue Conte's success at Inter

By Sports Desk July 26, 2021

Romelu Lukaku returned for pre-season training on Monday and outlined his excitement to work under new head coach Simone Inzaghi, who he feels can replicate Antonio Conte's work with Inter.

The Nerazzurri coasted to their first Scudetto since the 2009-10 campaign as they clinched the title with four games to spare, courtesy of a 20-game unbeaten run at the end of the season.

Despite Conte's title-winning campaign, the Italian head coach left by mutual consent in May before Inzaghi, who was previously at Lazio, was appointed at San Siro.

And after returning to Italy following Belgium's Euro 2020 semi-final exit, Lukaku, who scored 24 times in 36 league outings while also providing 11 assists in 2020-21, revealed how hungry he is to work with Inzaghi towards further success.

"We had a good chat on the day that the club announced that he was going to be the new coach and we also spoke when I was at the Euros," Lukaku told Inter's media on Monday.

"My brother has also told me plenty about him. He's a good coach. I think he’ll help the team achieve so much.

"We hope we can all work together to continue down the path that we've started."

Only in 2016-17 at Everton did the forward (25 goals) score more times in one of Europe's top-five leagues than last season and the Belgian promised to chase more silverware in 2021-22.

"We now have a few weeks to prepare as well as we can for the new campaign," the 28-year-old added. "We hope to do well and achieve even more than last year.

"I’m thrilled to be back. We hope to continue down the path that we’ve started and to keep winning. All the players will work hard to make your dreams come true."

Inter get their title defence underway at home to Genoa on August 21 after facing Atletico Madrid on August 7 in their final pre-season friendly.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Man Utd interested in new right-back, Milan and Juve circle USA sensation Rumour Has It: Man Utd interested in new right-back, Milan and Juve circle USA sensation

    Is the end nigh for Aaron Wan-Bissaka at Old Trafford?
     
    Wan-Bisakka joined Manchester United in a big-money deal in 2019 but the Red Devils are reportedly ready to replace the Englishman.
     
    A talented RB Leipzig defender could be the team's next right-back.

     

    TOP STORY – NEW RIGHT-BACK SET FOR OLD TRAFFORD?

    Manchester United are eyeing RB Leipzig right-back Nordi Mukiele, according Fichajes.net.

    United are reportedly keen to sign a replacement after losing patience with Aaron Wan-Bissaka at Old Trafford.

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is believed to be interested in Leipzig's 23-year-old star Mukiele.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Calciomercato claims Milan and Juventus are interested in United States and Dallas sensation Ricardo Pepi. The 18-year-old has also been linked with Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich.

    - Inter are willing to let Alexis Sanchez leave the Serie A champions, reports Calciomercato. Marseille, Real Betis and Sevilla are among the possible options for the 32-year-old Chilean.

    Tottenham are weighing up a move for Aston Villa's Ollie Watkins, per Fichajes. It comes amid continued uncertainty over Spurs star Harry Kane, who has been linked with Manchester City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus as well as United.

  • Napoli keeping 'feet on the ground' amid perfect start to Serie A season – Insigne Napoli keeping 'feet on the ground' amid perfect start to Serie A season – Insigne

    Napoli captain Lorenzo Insigne stressed the Serie A leaders are staying grounded amid their flawless start to the season.

    Insigne scored as red-hot Napoli – who have not claimed the Scudetto since 1990 – made it six wins from six league games with a 2-0 victory at home to Cagliari on Sunday.

    Napoli star Victor Osimhen opened the scoring in the 11th minute before Insigne doubled the lead with a penalty 12 minutes into the second half.

    Luciano Spalletti's Napoli have won each of their first six Serie A seasonal matches for the second time in their history after 2017-18, but Insigne insisted the team are not getting carried away.

    "We've started well, but we need to keep our heads down, our feet on the ground, because it's a very, very long road ahead," Insigne told DAZN, with Napoli two points clear of Milan.

    "It's an incredible feeling [with the fans], I am trying to enjoy it and repay everyone with my performances and helping the team to win the games."

    Napoli have kept a clean sheet in three consecutive Serie A matches for the first time since February 2019.

    Osimhen, meanwhile, has scored the joint-most goals in September across all competitions among the players in the top five European leagues – level with Real Madrid's Karim Benzema.

    "The coach wants us to enjoy ourselves while we are working," Insigne said. "As captain, I can only say we need to keep our feet on the ground, as we missed out on the Champions League by a point last season, so we have to make up for that.

    "We try to play Spalletti's football, he knows we were disappointed to only be in the Europa League and he’' trying to lift us up."

  • Fati sets sights on LaLiga and Champions League glory after goalscoring return Fati sets sights on LaLiga and Champions League glory after goalscoring return

    Ansu Fati says Barcelona are aiming to triumph in LaLiga and the Champions League this season after making a goalscoring return to action against Levante on Sunday.

    Fati, on as a late substitute, put the icing on the cake in his comeback following 10 months out with a knee injury, finishing superbly in stoppage time as Barca ended a run of three games without victory.

    Luuk de Jong had earlier doubled Barca's lead in his fourth appearance for the club following his move from Sevilla after his Netherlands team-mate Memphis Depay opened the scoring from the penalty spot.

    It was the first time since March 2009 that two different Dutch players had scored in the same LaLiga game, Arjen Robben and Klaas-Jan Huntelaar last doing so for Real Madrid against Athletic Bilbao.

    It has been a difficult start to the season for Barca following the shock departure of club icon Lionel Messi, with coach Ronald Koeman's position the subject of intense scrutiny.

    Fati, though, is expecting big things from the Catalan giants this season.

    "We are Barca, we are going for LaLiga and the Champions League and all the competitions we are in," he told Movistar.

    "All the teams want to win everything, but we are Barca and we have to fight for it."

    Fati only returned to training last month after undergoing three operations following his knee injury in November 2020.

    Despite inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt in that period, Fati says he feels no pressure following in the Argentinian's footsteps.

    "I am proud to be able to wear it after Leo," he added. "I want to thank the club and the captains for giving me the opportunity to wear it.

    "It is not a pressure but I am grateful for wearing this number that has given a lot to this club."

    Barca's assistant coach Alfred Schreuder oversaw matters on the pitch on Sunday with Koeman suspended from the touchline, and the Dutchman was delighted with the reception afforded to Fati by the Camp Nou faithful.

    "The reaction of the stadium was evident, we know that he is a player who generates chances out of nowhere," he said. 

    "We knew he could play for 15 minutes and this is the first step. We know that he is an excellent player, but also that he has been absent for a long time."

    Barca are next in action against Benfica in the Champions League on Wednesday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.