Lukaku staying at Inter: I want to win Scudetto again

By Sports Desk June 02, 2021

Inter star Romelu Lukaku insisted he is staying at the Serie A champions amid speculation over his future.

Lukaku has been linked with an Inter exit following the departure of head coach Antonio Conte as the Nerazzurri struggle financially due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Despite leading Inter to their first Scudetto in a decade, Lukaku has reportedly caught the attention of former club Chelsea, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Lukaku, however, has no plans to leave San Siro as he eyes more silverware in Milan after he was named "the best overall" Serie A MVP.

"I am staying at Inter," Lukaku – who arrived from Manchester United in 2019 – told VTM as Inter reportedly prepare to appoint former Lazio boss Simone Inzaghi.

"I've already spoken to the man who will become our new coach. Maybe I shouldn't say that yet… but it was a very positive conversation.

"The challenge is to win again. I feel good at Inter, I finally won some silverware.

"I really enjoyed it, but I want to do that again, this time with a packed San Siro."

Lukaku scored 24 goals from 36 league outings in 2020-21, while the Belgium international forward also provided 11 assists.

Lukaku scored 30 goals in all competitions this past season – only in 2016-17 for Everton did the Belgian score more (25) in a single campaign in one of Europe's top five leagues. 

Related items

  • Juventus confident of landing Locatelli after tabling 'appropriate offer' – Nedved Juventus confident of landing Locatelli after tabling 'appropriate offer' – Nedved

    Juventus are confident of signing Manuel Locatelli from Sassuolo after tabling what vice-president Pavel Nedved describes as an "appropriate offer".

    The 23-year-old midfielder has established himself with Sassuolo over the past two seasons in Serie A and is now on the radar of several leading European clubs.

    Locatelli's stock has risen even further after featuring five times for Italy in their successful Euro 2020 campaign, including an appearance against England in last month's final.

    He scored twice against Switzerland in the group stage and had the second best goals-per-90-minute ratio of any Italy player (0.66) in the tournament after Matteo Pessina (0.95).

    Former Milan man Locatelli also won more tackles per 90 minutes (2.32) than any Italy player at the Euros, followed by Marco Verratti (2.02) and Federico Bernardeschi (1.42).

    Arsenal have already made a bid for the midfielder, while fellow English side Liverpool have also been linked, but Nedved is positive Juve can win the race for his signature.

    "We spoke to Sassuolo and we made our offer, which we believe is appropriate for the current climate, with the way finances and the transfer market have been affected by COVID," Nedved told Sport Mediaset.

    "We are convinced this is a good offer and it is the right one. We are always confident. Naturally in negotiations there are things that must be clarified and resolved. When you want a player and that player wants you, it's clear..."

    Nedved's comments come after Sassuolo CEO Giovanni Carnevali revealed last week that Locatelli would prefer a move to Juventus.

    The Bianconeri, who reappointed Massimiliano Allegri in May after sacking Andrea Pirlo, have yet to make any new signings ahead of the 2021-22 campaign.

    Juve face Barcelona in a prestige pre-season friendly next weekend before beginning their Serie A campaign away at Udinese on August 22.

  • Rumour Has It: City near £100m Grealish deal, Saul eyes Premier League move Rumour Has It: City near £100m Grealish deal, Saul eyes Premier League move

    Manchester City still hope to sign Tottenham and England striker Harry Kane in the coming days.

    The Premier League champions appear likely to add his international team-mate first, with Jack Grealish reportedly close to a move to the Etihad Stadium.

    Aston Villa have tabled a contract to keep their star man, but City are prepared to spend big to win his signature.

     

    TOP STORY - CITY CLOSE ON GREALISH DEAL

    Manchester City are set to complete a £100million move for Jack Grealish in the next few days, according to multiple reports

    The Mail says the 25-year-old England international will earn more than £200,000 a week upon joining Pep Guardiola's side. 

    Though City are expected to cut ties with some veteran players, adding Grealish will have no impact on their longstanding pursuit of Harry Kane, the Sun reports.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Saul Niguez is weighing up a move to the Premier League, with the Mirror reporting Manchester United and Liverpool are possibilities for the Atletico Madrid midfielder in a £35-£40m deal. 

    - Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are possibilities for Bernardo Silva if he leaves City in the coming weeks, reports the Mail. 

    - Atalanta centre-back Cristian Romero wants to join Tottenham but the clubs are having difficulty reaching an agreement, reports Fabrizio Romano. 

    - Brazilian striker Kaio Jorge is set for a €3m (£2.5m) permanent move to Juventus from Santos and is expected to sign through to 2026, reports Romano. 

    - Arsenal and Everton have shown interest in Schalke's Matthew Hoppe after the USA international's strong Gold Cup performance, reports US journalist Grant Wahl.

    - Talks between Wolves and Adama Traore have broken down and Leeds could swoop for the winger, reports Goal. 

    - Brighton are interested in Benfica striker and Urugay international Darwin Nunez, reports the Mail. 

  • MLS: Earthquakes stun Sounders to end winless skid, Revolution rally past Red Bulls MLS: Earthquakes stun Sounders to end winless skid, Revolution rally past Red Bulls

    San Jose Earthquakes snapped a pair of skids in stunning fashion on Saturday with a 1-0 road defeat of Seattle Sounders.

    The victory was San Jose's first since May 7, ending an 11-match winless streak, and their first win over Seattle since September 2015, halting a 14-game drought.

    Cristian Espinoza's goal in first-half stoppage time, a left-footed strike from just outside the 18-yard box, made the difference for San Jose.

    San Jose thought they had another in the 89th minute but Chris Wondolowski's goal was disallowed after a video review.

    New England Revolution extended their lead atop the Eastern Conference with some late magic in a 3-2 win away to New York Red Bulls.

    Brandon Bye netted in the 84th minute to equalise for New England and Adam Buksa's goal in stoppage time gave the Revs their fourth straight win, leaving them eight points clear of second-placed Orlando City.

    Sporting Kansas City lost a chance to move past Seattle for the top spot in the Western Conference, suffering a 2-1 defeat to Dallas as Paxton Pomykal and Jesus Ferreira netted for the visitors.

    Gonzalo Higuain's second-half brace sent Inter Miami past Montreal 2-1 to end a seven-game winless streak for head coach Phil Neville's side.

    DC United held on to earn a point in a 0-0 draw with Cincinnati despite having Moses Nyeman sent off in the 52nd minute and Joseph Mora in the 90th to finish with nine men.

    Real Salt Lake also managed a 0-0 draw with Houston even after Justen Glad's 87th-minute red card.

    Andre Shinyashiki's 29th-minute goal gave Colorado a 1-0 road win over Austin.

    Cristian Dajome drew and converted a penalty four minutes into second-half stoppage time to give Vancouver a 2-2 draw with Minnesota United. Dajome had opened the scoring in the 36th minute before Ethan Finlay equalised in the 45th and Robin Lod gave Minnesota the lead after 75 minutes.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.