What next for Ceballos? Madrid midfielder wants to settle down after Arsenal stints

By Sports Desk May 28, 2021

Dani Ceballos has made clear he does not want to be loaned out again by Real Madrid, despite learning plenty during his two seasons with Arsenal.

Midfielder Ceballos won the FA Cup at the end of the 2019-20 campaign under Mikel Arteta, his first on loan at the Gunners. He returned to Emirates Stadium again, agreeing to another season-long stint in England.

However, having played 77 games for Arsenal, the Spain international now wants his long-term future resolved one way or another, revealing he wants to "feel important" at a club.

He is under contract for two more years at the Santiago Bernabeu, having joined Madrid from LaLiga rivals Real Betis in July 2017.

"It is true that I have a contract with Real Madrid for the next two years and I would not like to go on loan to any club again,” Ceballos said on the El Pelotazo show on Canal Sur Radio, according to Marca.

"With the experience of the last two years, I am a player who needs to feel important, I would like next year starting from the beginning and feeling important, but settling down.

"It's important going forward to know what you want to do."

Zinedine Zidane's departure could provide a fresh start for Ceballos at Madrid, who are now looking for a new head coach to replace the Frenchman.

On the change at Madrid, Ceballos said: "It is true that with Zizou I had fewer opportunities than I had thought, but now Madrid is without a coach, we do not know what will happen in two or three weeks, there is talk of many things and I think that right now is time to disconnect a bit from football, prepare well for what is coming and when Madrid have their next coach, let's talk and see what we want, it will be time to decide the future.”

Ceballos started 25 games for Arsenal in the 2020-21 season, with his final total of minutes (2,370) a fraction above the previous term (2,343).

The 24-year-old provided three assists and also created six big chances – deemed by Opta as those situations where a player should score – though he did not get a goal himself, having managed two in 2019-20.

"The Premier is a very attractive league, I was lucky to be able to play it last year and win the FA Cup, and this second year has helped me to consolidate myself," Ceballos said of his time at Arsenal.

"I am very happy because I have learned a lot, I have become a better player, more complete, and I think that although my stage has not closed as we would have liked, with another title, I am very happy with the experience."

Related items

  • Klopp staying patient as Van Dijk and Gomez impress in pre-season training Klopp staying patient as Van Dijk and Gomez impress in pre-season training

    Jurgen Klopp revealed Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez have looked "really good" in pre-season training with Liverpool, though made clear the need for patience over the returning duo.

    Van Dijk and fellow centre-back Gomez were long-term absentees during the Reds' unsuccessful title defence in the 2020-21 campaign, making a combined total of just 12 Premier League appearances.

    Both are closing in on a comeback but Klopp insisted after the 1-0 friendly win over Mainz on Friday that neither are likely to feature in the next fixture, which sees Liverpool take on Hertha Berlin.

    Asked by the club's official website if the defenders could play next Thursday, he replied: "Yeah, it would still be a surprise, unfortunately. But they look really good.

    "Look, I think, they do everything, they play football, we keep them in training, we do the things we can do, they don't do too much and stuff like this.

    "We just have to be patient – we prepare for a full season, not for a pre-season game. I will not risk it for a game here, so we have to see.

    "We have a lot of games still coming, pre-season games, but I don't see them being involved for the next one."

    Liverpool recorded a first win during pre-season action thanks to a late own goal against Mainz, Luca Kilian turning Owen Beck's cross into the net in the 86th minute.

    Klopp had included a host of first-team regulars in his starting XI, which saw Harvey Elliott utilised in a midfield role, before a much younger line-up were introduced after half-time.

    A number of the squad remain absent following their exertions at Euro 2020 and the Copa America, though Scotland captain Andy Robertson has joined up with his team-mates in Austria.

    "I am happy about a lot of situations I saw," the Liverpool boss said of the game against Mainz.

    "I saw in the first half some really good football where we came through, we passed, we passed the ball quite quickly, quick enough against a good, organised side, a deep-defending side and this kind of stuff. It was far away from being perfect, but it is absolutely okay.

    "Second half I saw the boys, the kids, fought for a result and they got it. They forced it and I am happy about that."

  • Sancho to Man Utd: Old Trafford the platform to release untapped talent – Solskjaer Sancho to Man Utd: Old Trafford the platform to release untapped talent – Solskjaer

    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes Jadon Sancho has made the perfect step at the right time in his career, as he believes Manchester United's latest addition can showcase 'untapped talent' at Old Trafford.

    United's long pursuit of Sancho has resulted in a deal that Stats Perform understands is worth £72.9million (€85m), making him the fourth most expensive signing in the club's history, behind Paul Pogba, Harry Maguire and Romelu Lukaku.

    The 21-year-old, who left United's rivals Manchester City to join Borussia Dortmund in 2017, has signed until 2026 with an option for a further year.

    Sancho scored 50 goals and provided 57 assists in 137 appearances across all competitions for BVB, with only Erling Haaland and Marco Reus having scored more since the winger made his debut.

    In 104 Bundesliga appearances, Sancho netted 38 times, averaging a goal every 197 minutes, bettering the totals of the wide players he has joined at United in Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial, Mason Greenwood and Daniel James.

    Having secured a long-term target – Sancho was the subject of much speculation in 2020 – Solskjaer hailed the England international as the ideal player to bring into United's squad.

    "Jadon epitomises the type of player I want to bring to the club, he is a forward player in the best traditions of Manchester United," Solskjaer told the club's official website.

    "He will form an integral part of my squad for years to come and we look forward to seeing him blossom. His goals and assists records speak for themselves and he will also bring tremendous pace, flair and creativity to the team. 

    "Old Trafford will give him the platform he needs to release his untapped talent and perform at the highest level. For a player of his age, Jadon has already achieved a great deal and showed the courage to go and prove himself abroad. We all look forward to welcoming Jadon to the squad as we prepare for the new campaign."

    For his part, Sancho – who came through Watford's academy before moving to City at the age of 14 – explained it was always his plan to return to the Premier League.

    He said: "I'll always be grateful to Dortmund for giving me the opportunity to play first team football, although I always knew that I would return to England one day.

    "The chance to join Manchester United is a dream come true and I just cannot wait to perform in the Premier League. This is a young and exciting squad and I know, together, we can develop into something special to bring the success that the fans deserve. I am looking forward to working with the manager and his coaching team to further develop my game."

    Sancho also thanked Dortmund directly, telling the Bundesliga club's official website: "I can't thank the people in charge at Borussia Dortmund enough for the chance they gave me as a very young player. 

    "At BVB I was able to mature into the player I am today. The DFB-Pokal win last season was a great end to my time at BVB. But I will always remember the support and love of the incredible fans as something special."

  • Real Madrid striker Benzema tests positive for COVID-19 Real Madrid striker Benzema tests positive for COVID-19

    Karim Benzema has had to delay his return to training at Real Madrid after testing positive for COVID-19.

    The 33-year-old striker was on holiday in France when he was found to have the virus, and it means he must isolate before heading back to Spain.

    Benzema played for France in the Euro 2020 finals after being called up to Didier Deschamps' squad for the first time since 2015.

    He scored four goals in four games, hitting doubles against Portugal and Switzerland, but could not help France advance any further than the second round, with the Swiss ousting Les Bleus in a penalty shoot-out after a 3-3 draw.

    According to reports in Spain, Benzema is undergoing his quarantine period in Lyon.

    A short statement from his club read: "Real Madrid CF confirm that our player Karim Benzema has tested positive for COVID-19."

    Benzema has been Madrid's leading scorer in each LaLiga season since Cristiano Ronaldo left for Juventus in 2018, scoring 21 goals in 2018-19 and 2019-20 before improving to 23 goals last term, adding nine assists.

    Madrid, who appointed Carlo Ancelotti to succeed Zinedine Zidane in June, begin their LaLiga campaign on August 14 with a match against Deportivo Alaves.

    Looking to dethrone reigning champions Atletico Madrid in 2021-22, Ancelotti's team will step up pre-season efforts with a friendly against Scottish champions Rangers in Glasgow on Sunday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.