Rumour Has It: Bayern lead Koulibaly race, Man City favourites to sign Haaland

By Sports Desk March 06, 2021

Will Kalidou Koulibaly leave Serie A's Napoli?

Koulibaly is one of Europe's finest defenders and the 29-year-old has attracted interest from across Europe.

Bayern Munich are reportedly eyeing the Senegal international.

 

TOP STORY – BAYERN FRONTRUNNERS FOR NAPOLI STAR

Bayern Munich are leading the race to sign Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly, according to Il Mattino.

Koulibaly has long been linked with a move away from Napoli, though the club's valuation has deterred suitors.

But Koulibaly's asking price has reportedly dropped to €45million (£39m), alerting Bayern, as well as Manchester United and Liverpool.

Bild, however, claims Bundesliga champions Bayern have not made an offer for the Napoli star.

 

ROUND-UP

- Bild reports Manchester City are favourites to sign Erling Haaland if Borussia Dortmund sanction an off-season exit. Haaland has been linked with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, Liverpool, ChelseaUnited and Bayern.

- As City target Haaland, Sport Mediaset says Serie A champions Juve are considering a move for veteran forward Sergio Aguero. The Argentina international is out of contract at season's end.

Barca have been offered Bayer Leverkusen star Edmond Tapsoba, claims Sport. Tapsoba is valued at around €40m.

- Wolves are open to selling Adama Traore at a reduced price, according to the Daily Mail. Barca, Liverpool and City have been linked with Traore previously.

- The Sun reports United are considering the sale of star goalkeeper David de Gea. It comes as Dean Henderson expects to become number one next season. The Transfer Window podcast, meanwhile, says United are seeking a new number one amid links to Milan star Gianluigi Donnarumma.

Chelsea remain interested in RB Leipzig centre-back Ibrahima Konate, according to Bild. Konate is not short of admirers, linked to the likes of United and Arsenal.

United have not contacted Eintracht Frankfurt's Andre Silva as an alternative to Haaland, claims Bild.

Related items

  • BREAKING NEWS: Ed Woodward to leave Man Utd BREAKING NEWS: Ed Woodward to leave Man Utd

    Ed Woodward is to leave his role as executive vice-chairman of Manchester United, Stats Perform News understands.

    The news came amid widespread speculation a planned European Super League is set to collapse.

    Woodward was reportedly one of the driving forces behind the planned 12-team breakaway, which was announced on Sunday.

    The proposals proved hugely unpopular and drew widespread criticism from fans, pundits and players – including United's own Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw – along with managers and politicians, with UEFA promising harsh sanctions for the clubs involved.

    It is understood the 49-year-old Woodward was already set to leave the club at the end of 2021 and that he will continue to fulfil his duties until then.

    Woodward's departure is said to be an amicable one and not related to the European Super League.

    Often a decisive figure with United's fanbase, Woodward effectively acted as the club's chief executive, having previously advised the Glazer family during their takeover at Old Trafford in 2005.

    Woodward took on a commercial role at the club two years later, before being appointed as an executive vice-chairman in 2012, following David Gill's retirement. 

    Though he helped secure big-money signings such as Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes, Woodward's running of United has drawn much criticism.

  • European Super League: Breakaway competition appears to crumble as Chelsea, Man City lead reported exodus European Super League: Breakaway competition appears to crumble as Chelsea, Man City lead reported exodus

    The European Super League seems to have crumbled before it started, with four of the 12 teams reportedly set to withdraw.

    News broke on Tuesday evening, European time, that Manchester City, Chelsea, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid were preparing to pull out of the breakaway competition, which was announced amid much furore on Sunday. 

    The Premier League's "big six" plus sides from Italy and Spain confirmed their intention to form a new tournament, which would not feature promotion or relegation. 

    It is a move that has drawn widespread criticism from across the game and beyond, with governing bodies, governments, fellow football clubs, players and managers condemning the action.

    After huge protests outside Stamford Bridge ahead of their game against Brighton and Hove Albion, Chelsea were reportedly the first team to crack, with rumours of their imminent withdrawal appearing in several credible publications.

    The scheduled 20:15 GMT kick-off of Chelsea v Brighton was then put back by 15 minutes.

    Similar reports followed regarding City, whose manager Pep Guardiola confirmed his opposition to the proposal while previewing Wednesday's meeting with Aston Villa.

    Meanwhile, reports in Spain suggested LaLiga giants Barca and Atleti had also informed organisers of their intention to leave the competition, within 24 hours of Real Madrid supremo Florentino Perez giving an extensive interview in defence of the Super League that in hindsight looks to have done little to help its cause.

    It remains to be seen if any punishment will be handed out to the clubs. UEFA, with the backing of FIFA, vowed to deal harsh sanctions to the teams involved, while in England, the Premier League promised to do "everything in its power" to stop the breakaway from coming to fruition. 

  • European Super League: Milan chief Gazidis claims breakaway will 'capture the imagination' European Super League: Milan chief Gazidis claims breakaway will 'capture the imagination'

    Milan are "proud" to be part of Serie A but their chief executive Ivan Gazidis believes the European Super League will open up football to billions of fans.

    The Rossoneri, along with Juventus and Inter, were among 12 teams included in Sunday's seismic Super League announcement.

    Reaction has been sustained and vitriolic, with UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League among those to condemn the plans, alongside Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola – despite Liverpool and Manchester City also being on the initial roster.

    Those involved have been accused of undermining their domestic competitions, by foregoing the challenge of qualifying for continental competitions in favour of a closed-shop arrangement.

    Nevertheless, Gazidis sought to reaffirm his club's commitment to Italy's top flight in a letter to commercial partners and sponsors.

    "Serie A will remain the most important weekend competition in Italy and Milan are proud to remain an important part of the pinnacle of Italian football," he said.

    "We're confident that this new competition will capture the imagination of billions of football fans all over the world and will be a new, exciting chapter for the game.

    "The Super League will provide value and support to the whole football pyramid with greater financial resources."

    Milan are back in action at home to Sassuolo on Wednesday, with solidifying a spot in the top four the priority for head coach Stefano Pioli – irrespective of what that might now mean in the greater scheme of things.

    “Milan have never finished top four in the last few years. It would be an important target for us that would prove our growth,” Pioli told a pre-match news conference.

    “We have a target, and it's an important one. We are focused on this. We'll see what happens in the future. I repeat, this is not the right time to talk about the Super League."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.