Rumour Has It: Liverpool interested in Ramos, Real Madrid line up Zidane successor

By Sports Desk January 08, 2021

Liverpool are reportedly interested in Sergio Ramos, while Real Madrid have a successor for Zinedine Zidane lined up.

Premier League champions Liverpool are linked with centre-backs due to long-term injuries to Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez.

And Ramos is apparently a target.

 

TOP STORY – LIVERPOOL INTERESTED IN RAMOS

Liverpool are interested in Real Madrid defender Ramos, according to El Chiringuito.

The 34-year-old's future at Madrid is uncertain with his contract expiring at the end of the season.

Also at Liverpool, Fabrizio Romano reports they are yet to open talks to sign Lille defender Sven Botman.

 

ROUND-UP

- Zidane was under pressure at Real Madrid earlier in the season, and the LaLiga giants have his replacement in mind. AS reports Raul – who is in charge of Real Madrid Castilla – is seen as the natural heir to the Frenchman.

Christian Eriksen is expected to leave Inter, but just where to remains to be seen. CalcioMercato reports the Serie A giants are yet to receive an offer for the midfielder, who has been linked to Paris Saint-Germain and Arsenal.

- With Diego Costa having departed, Atletico Madrid are said to be looking for another forward. The Daily Mail reports Napoli striker Arkadiusz Milik is at the top of their list, while Espanyol's Raul de Tomas and Real Betis' Loren Moron are of interest.

Manchester City are linked to Barcelona star Lionel Messi, but they may have a younger version to target. talkSPORT reports the Premier League club are plotting a move for 17-year-old Estudiantes winger Dario Sarmiento, who has been dubbed "mini Messi".

- Sergio Romero looks set to leave Manchester United. The Manchester Evening News reports the goalkeeper has bid farewell to his team-mates ahead of an expected move to Boca Juniors.

Related items

  • European Super League: IOC president Bach says 'profit-driven approach' threatens sport European Super League: IOC president Bach says 'profit-driven approach' threatens sport

    "Profit-driven" projects like the European Super League threaten the existing structure and mission of sport, according to International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach.

    Bach appeared at the UEFA Congress in Montreux, Switzerland on Tuesday.

    The furore caused by 12 of Europe's leading clubs announcing a breakaway competition that would see them leave existing structures in place under UEFA and FIFA continues to cause intense debate.

    Bach warned that self-interest and commercialism would come at a huge cost for European sport.

    He insisted such an approach was not what was needed as society rebuilds as it emerges from the coronavirus pandemic.

    "We have to realise that this European sport model is under threat today," Bach said. 

    "In fact, the very existence of the values, solidarity and volunteer-based model is under threat. 

    "It is challenged by a purely profit-driven approach that ignores the intrinsic values the social mission of sport and the real needs of the post-coronavirus world. 

    "It is under threat because the social mission of sports organisations is losing ground to the purely profit-oriented goals of commercial sport providers and investors. 

    "If everything is only looked at from a business perspective. If only the economic rules are applied to measure the impact of sport on society then the social mission of sport is lost.

    "In this polarising environment narrow self-interest and egotism have been gaining ground over solidarity, shared values and common rules. 

    "We can only address the challenges of the post-coronavirus world in solidarity. This means for us solidarity within sports organisations and solidarity among sports organisations."

    At the same conference, FIFA president Gianni Infantino condemned the European Super League.

    Infantino warned clubs involved they "cannot be half in or half out" and must fully commit to the breakaway competition.

  • European Super League: Plans came at the worst moment in football history - Calderon European Super League: Plans came at the worst moment in football history - Calderon

    Former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon was frustrated to see 12 elite clubs plotting a European Super League at a time when football needs "solidarity and unity".

    Madrid were among a dozen teams to announce their involvement in a new breakaway competition on Sunday.

    The lucrative tournament would be a rival to the Champions League, but the 12 "founding clubs" would compete every year and could not be demoted.

    While reigning European champions Bayern Munich and Ligue 1 giants Paris Saint-Germain have not yet signed up, which Calderon says is "really important", this threat to the sport's structure comes as clubs attempt to recover from the coronavirus pandemic.

    For this reason, Calderon - the main man at Madrid between 2006 and 2009 - finds the plans particularly painful.

    "The first thought that came to my mind when I read the news about this announcement was that perhaps it came at the worst moment in football history," he told Stats Perform News.

    "Many clubs are suffering, are struggling financially because of the pandemic. I think football needs more than ever solidarity and unity to overcome this problem.

    "So, I think it's bad news for football and I hope that common sense comes back to everyone and they manage to sort out this situation in the best way possible."

    COVID-19 has made money particularly tight at Madrid, where they are also renovating the Santiago Bernabeu.

    "Maybe this is the money we need to sort out all the problems we are having and we are facing in the next few years," Calderon suggested.

    But UEFA's threat to deny Super League players the opportunity to represent their countries at international level could yet derail the proposals, according to the ex-Madrid chief.

    Calderon said: "If that really happens, if they fulfil their threats, I'm sure the clubs will reconsider going on with the project.

    "It's impossible if UEFA and FIFA ban clubs and players in the way they have [said] in their statements. I find it difficult that they'd go on with the project."

    But that is not the only problem for Calderon, who believes Super League clubs would quickly find their existence tedious playing the same opponents without additional leagues and cup competitions.

    "I think they already have the opportunity to see those teams playing against our team," he said.

    "But also in our country, and I think in other countries it's the same, fans want to travel to other stadiums, they want to win [against] their neighbours. There's a rivalry always between the clubs from the same country.

    "And also there's something interesting nowadays that any club can win three or four competitions, or at least, compete to win them.

    "With the Super League, there'll only be one champion. The others won't get a trophy. That's another thing that I don't think they've taken into account.

    "Now Barcelona is out of the Champions League, but they won the [Copa del Rey]. So, if they play in the Super League, they'll only be able to win one title.

    "That's another interesting thing for fans, for players and for clubs."

  • Mason to manage Spurs until end of the season after Mourinho sacking Mason to manage Spurs until end of the season after Mourinho sacking

    Ryan Mason has been handed the role of interim head coach at Tottenham until the end of the season following Jose Mourinho's dismissal. 

    Spurs sacked Mourinho on Monday six days before the EFL Cup final against Manchester City, with their Champions League qualification hopes hanging by a thread.

    Mason took first-team training after that move and will now lead the team for the remainder of the 2020-21 campaign.

    The first game for Mason will see seventh-placed Tottenham host Southampton in the Premier League on Wednesday.

    Mason will be assisted by Chris Powell and Nigel Gibbs, with Ledley King continuing as a first-team assistant and Michel Vorm as his goalkeeping coach.

    Spurs chairman Daniel Levy talked up the quality of the club's squad after Mason's appointment was confirmed on Tuesday.

    "We have great belief in this squad of talented players," he said. 

    "We have a cup final and six Premier League games ahead of us and we shall now focus all our energies on achieving a strong finish to the season."

    Tottenham are one of six English clubs who have announced their intention to join the controversial European Super League, a development that has overshadowed their decision to sack Mourinho.

    Mason, 29, was a Spurs player for eight years after coming through the club's youth system.

    He later joined Hull City but suffered a fractured skull in January 2017 that eventually forced him to retire, prompting his early move into coaching with Spurs in 2018.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.