Rumour Has It: Real Madrid, Barcelona eye Man Utd star Fernandes

By Sports Desk October 17, 2020

Bruno Fernandes has reportedly emerged as a transfer target for Barcelona and Real Madrid. 

The Manchester United midfielder this week denied reports he had a bust-up with manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer following their 6-1 loss to Tottenham. 

While that rift has been denied, it has seemingly put LaLiga’s giants on alert. 

 

TOP STORY – REAL MADRID, BARCELONA LOOKING AT FERNANDES

Real Madrid and Barcelona are ready to battle for Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes, according to The Sun. 

Fernandes only arrived at Old Trafford in January, signed in a deal worth €80million (£67.6m) from Sporting CP. 

Contracted until 2025, the Portugal international has scored 10 goals and provided eight assists in 17 Premier League games. 

ROUND-UP

- Staying at Old Trafford and the Manchester Evening News reports Manchester United have triggered the one-year extension to Paul Pogba's contract, keeping the midfielder at the club until 2022.

- Giovanni Reyna, 17, is catching the eye at Borussia Dortmund. ESPN reports the teenage midfielder is on the radar of Barcelona and Real Madrid after a stunning start to the Bundesliga season. He has scored once and provided three assists in three league games.

- Contracted at Arsenal until next year, Mesut Ozil's future remains a talking point. The Daily Express says manager Mikel Arteta has given the playmaker two months to prove himself at the Premier League club.

- Crystal Palace reportedly tried to land Watford attacker Ismaila Sarr on Friday. Sky Sports says a £25m bid from Palace for Sarr was rejected by the Championship club. Sarr has been linked to Liverpool and Manchester United previously.

- In MLS, Robbie Keane could be set for a return to the LA Galaxy. The Sun reports Keane has agreed to replace Guillermo Barros Schelotto, who is under pressure with the Galaxy bottom of the Western Conference. Keane played for the Galaxy between 2011 and 2016 and is the club's second highest goalscorer.

Related items

  • Barcelona still haven't compensated me or called to say I'm dismissed, Setien claims Barcelona still haven't compensated me or called to say I'm dismissed, Setien claims

    Former Barcelona coach Quique Setien claims the club still have not compensated him for his early dismissal, or even called to inform of his contract termination three months on.

    Setien arrived at Barca in January as Ernesto Valverde's replacement, signing on a contract until 2022 as the club hoped to reconnect with their philosophy of exciting, possession-based football.

    However, Setien's time at Barca was fraught with problems, from an apparently strained relationship with talisman Lionel Messi that reportedly spread to other members of the squad, to underwhelming results and performances on the pitch.

    The culmination of numerous issues at the club was the 8-2 humiliation by Bayern Munich in the Champions League quarter-final, a result that contributed to Messi's desire to leave and effectively spelled the end for Setien in August.

    He was swiftly replaced by Ronald Koeman, who himself is struggling to oversee an improvement, though Setien opened legal proceedings against Barca the following month as he alleged that he and his coaching staff were only given official notification of their contract terminations in September via Burofax.

    More than three months on from his initial dismissal and Setien is claiming Barca still have not spoken to him directly about his sacking or paid compensation, though his staff did reach agreements with the club in the past week.

    "Barca have not compensated me, nor have they offered me anything," Setien told COPE's El Partidazo show. "They have not even called me to tell me that I am dismissed.

    "It's evident that the club is going through a worrying moment, something that when you arrive is clearly perceived and which directly affects sports performance.

    "You always believe that from within you may be able to help solve it, but for us, despite putting everything on our side, it has been impossible."

  • Ronaldo nominated for UEFA TOTY for 17th straight year as Bayern dominate Ronaldo nominated for UEFA TOTY for 17th straight year as Bayern dominate

    Cristiano Ronaldo has been nominated for the UEFA Men's Team of the Year for a 17th successive year but unsurprisingly it is Champions League winners Bayern Munich who dominate.

    UEFA announced its shortlist for fan voting on Tuesday and Bayern led the way in terms of nominations, with 10 players – including new Liverpool signing Thiago Alcantara – up for inclusion.

    The 50-name shortlist was determined by UEFA on the basis of the players' respective performances in European and domestic competition throughout 2020.

    Bayern claimed European club football's biggest prize for a sixth time in August, beating Paris Saint-Germain 1-0 at the Estadio da Luz as the Champions League's delayed latter stages were completed in Lisbon because of the coronavirus pandemic.

    Kingsley Coman, scorer of the winning goal in the final, is among the Bayern players nominated, while Robert Lewandowski – the top-scorer with 15 last term – seems a likely bet for a place in the final XI.

    Ronaldo is present yet again, the 17th year in a row in which he has been nominated, as he hopes to extend his record of 14 inclusions in the line-up. He is four clear of Lionel Messi, who is also in the running again.

    Alphonso Davies, 20, is the youngest nominee while the oldest is 36-year-old Thiago Silva, who helped PSG reach the Champions League final before joining Chelsea in pre-season.

    The Premier League and Bundesliga are the most-represented leagues with 15 players to have at some point this year played in either division.

    UEFA also revealed the shortlist for the Women's Team of the Year, with Women's Champions League winners Lyon having 13 players – including the since-departed Lucy Bronze – in contention.

  • Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update Jimenez hopes to return 'soon' from fractured skull as Wolves star provides update

    Raul Jimenez hopes he can return to action "soon" but will remain under observation for the time being after suffering a fractured skull against Arsenal on Sunday.

    Wolves claimed a 2-1 win at Emirates Stadium but the occasion was soured early on by a sickening injury sustained by the Mexican.

    In just the fifth minute, Jimenez contested an aerial duel with David Luiz and the pair clashed heads.

    He required roughly 10 minutes of medical attention before he was eventually carried away on a stretcher and taken to hospital for checks.

    It was discovered he suffered a fracture to his skull and underwent an operation that night.

    Wolves released a statement on Monday confirming the procedure had taken place and that he was "comfortable" following the surgery – they were hesitant to outline a recovery period.

    Jimenez has, understandably, also stopped short of setting a target as he provided a first personal update on social media.

    He wrote: "Thanks for your support messages. I will be under observation and I hope to return to the pitch soon."

    Mexico international Jimenez has been an integral part of Wolves' team since joining from Benfica, initially on loan, in 2018.

    He has scored 34 times in 86 Premier League appearances, while he also impressed on the European stage last term with 10 in 15 Europa League outings as Wolves reached the quarter-finals.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.