Depay anticipates January interest after failed Barca transfer

By Sports Desk October 11, 2020

Memphis Depay expects clubs to come calling in January after seeing a move to Barcelona scuppered in the last transfer window.

The Lyon striker appeared set to reunite with his former Netherlands boss Ronald Koeman at the Blaugrana and personal terms had already been agreed.

However, a deal between the two teams could not be struck, with Depay admitting "certain rules" prevented him from joining Barcelona.

The 26-year-old's contract expires at the end of next season, though, and he believes that makes him an intriguing prospect for potential buyers once the window reopens.

"I’m 26 and my transfer will cost next to nothing," he told BN DeStem.

"So we can expect that clubs will show an interest.

"It'll be January soon. We'll have to see how things are going.

"Not that I will definitely be leaving, but the possibility of clubs showing up soon is probably greater."

It is possible that Barca will renew their interest given Koeman was unsuccessful in trying to bring in a striker to replace Luis Suarez following his departure for Atletico Madrid.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has previously suggested that Depay will do everything possible to try and force through a move to Barca in the new year.

Related items

  • Zidane offers no excuses after Real Madrid shocker - 'We played a bad game, blame me' Zidane offers no excuses after Real Madrid shocker - 'We played a bad game, blame me'

    Zinedine Zidane admitted Real Madrid produced an unacceptable performance as the reigning LaLiga champions slumped to another dismal defeat.

    Cadiz, Shakhtar Donetsk and Valencia had already beaten Madrid this season, which is in its infancy, and Deportivo Alaves added their name to the list of surprise conquerors across all competitions thanks to a richly deserved 2-1 win on Saturday.

    There were grumbles from the Madrid camp about decisions the VAR may have given them, with penalty claims from Eden Hazard and Marcelo failing to result in spot-kicks.

    But Madrid head coach Zidane was clear in his mind that his team got what they deserved from the clash at the Alfredo Di Stefano stadium, where the Spanish giants lost for the third time in LaLiga this term.

    The losses to Cadiz and Shakhtar also came at Madrid's temporary home, which they are using while the Santiago Bernabeu is being renovated.

    They were pushovers for much of Saturday's game, with Lucas Perez and Joselu giving Alaves a 2-0 lead before a familiar late Madrid rally saw Casemiro net from close range and Isco hit the top of the bar.

    Conceding the early penalty that Perez tucked away made Madrid's task especially challenging, but they repeatedly looked vulnerable to Alaves' energetic, fast-paced counter-attacks.

    "When you start the game like that, everything is complicated. We haven't been focused," Zidane said, speaking on Movistar LaLiga.

    "We are not going to look for excuses. We played a bad game. I am the coach and I am to blame.

    "We have to turn the page. On Tuesday we have another game [against Shakhtar]. We will continue working. We are going to try to change the dynamics."

    Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois gave away the ball sloppily to gift Joselu the second for Alaves early in the second half, while Los Blancos suffered a blow when star winger Hazard had to come off just before the half-hour mark.

    The former Chelsea player has been tormented by injuries in his Madrid career, but it appears that Hazard does not see his latest blow as anything serious.

    "I hope and I think that Hazard's [injury] is a knock like he said and that it's not muscular," Zidane said.

    Madrid sit fourth in the table, six points behind Atletico Madrid and Real Sociedad, with their one consolation being that rivals Barcelona have started the season even more wretchedly.

    Three defeats in their last five home games across all competitions is bleak form for Madrid, given they had only lost three of their previous 31 such games.

    Casemiro said Alaves finished their chances better and praised the quality of Perez and Joselu, who were outstanding as a front pairing and went close several times to stretching the visitors' lead.

    The Brazilian midfielder felt Madrid should have been better served by the match officials though, saying, according to AS: "Talking about the referee after the game is not the time, the VAR is there to help."

  • Tuchel fumes at PSG's attitude again: It was worse than Monaco! Tuchel fumes at PSG's attitude again: It was worse than Monaco!

    Thomas Tuchel hopes to see "another" Paris Saint-Germain against Manchester United after again condemning a perceived poor attitude in their draw with Bordeaux.

    PSG let a two-goal lead slip to lose at Monaco last week and Tuchel said afterwards his side "did not play seriously enough" and "completely stopped playing football".

    Although the reigning Ligue 1 champions bounced back by scraping past RB Leipzig in the Champions League in midweek, it was more of the same against Bordeaux.

    PSG trailed to debutant Timothee Pembele's 10th-minute own goal but looked to be cruising after Neymar scored a penalty - his 50th Ligue 1 goal - and Moise Kean quickly added a second.

    However, former PSG player Yacine Adli equalised and Tuchel's men were perhaps fortunate to escape with a 2-2 draw.

    Ahead of a vital European trip to United on Wednesday, this was not ideal preparation.

    "We can not play without effort as we did in the second half," Tuchel told Canal+. "The first half was okay, we played simple.

    "But we lacked the seriousness to finish this match, to kill it. We lacked determination in the area.

    "We lacked everything in the second half: discipline, effort... everything. It was worse than against Monaco. We lacked effort, discipline, attitude.

    "Normally I always protect my team but today I totally disagree. It is not necessary to lose points a second time like that after Monaco. We lost the second half and it is absolutely our responsibility - mine, too.

    "We must see another PSG against Manchester; it is not possible to play a match of this level.

    "I don't understand why we don't take our responsibilities, why we don't play more seriously."

    PSG had just five shots in the second half to Bordeaux's 14, despite leaving Neymar and Kylian Mbappe on the pitch for the duration.

    Neymar, playing his 58th Ligue 1 match and reaching 50 goals in 21st-century record time, could shoulder little of the blame.

    He had 97 touches, fewer only than Leandro Paredes (112), and created three chances on top of his five shots.

    The Brazil forward offered a more considered assessment of the stalemate than his coach but agreed PSG had to improve against United.

    "We played a tentative match; we managed to score goals but missed some details," Neymar said. "We have to improve that. It's a championship in which we usually win a lot of matches.

    "Yes, we know the importance of Wednesday's match; as against Leipzig, it's decisive. We will try to play our best game, play well.

    "We have to improve certain details, play as a team, organise better."

  • Chelsea v Tottenham: How Kante has gone back infield and back to his best under Lampard Chelsea v Tottenham: How Kante has gone back infield and back to his best under Lampard

    "Ridiculous" was a word used by Frank Lampard to sum up N'Golo Kante last week - and with good reason. 

    The Chelsea midfielder is back fit, back in the side and more or less back to his best, having missed 16 Premier League matches last season. 

    Kante's "quietly influential" form has helped Lampard's side to a strong start to the season that has left some to bill Sunday's derby clash with Tottenham as something of a title showdown – or at least a game that could well highlight which of the two has the best chance of dethroning Liverpool. 

    A win for either side will move them top of the table after 10 games, but Kante's recent performances might just indicate Chelsea have the edge.

    BACK WHERE HE BELONGS?

    In 2018-19, Maurizio Sarri preferred Jorginho at the base of midfield, with Kante generally shifted to the right of a three. 

    The system was hardly a failure: Chelsea returned to the Champions League, won the Europa League and only lost the EFL Cup final on penalties to Manchester City. Few, though, ever thought it brought the best out of Kante. 

    Since taking charge last year, Lampard has shifted Kante back towards the middle and, as can be seen from his average touch maps, 2020-21 sees a full return for the France international as the midfield anchor.

    N'Golo Kante's touch maps by season, from 2018-19 (L) to 2020-21. The shift from the right-hand side towards the base of midfield is clear.

    He is averaging 82 touches per 90 minutes in the Premier League, the highest figure he has ever posted for Chelsea, five more than in his title-winning debut season in 2016-17. He is also averaging 67 passes per game, more than he ever has before for the club.

    In other words, Kante is very much at the heart of Lampard's Chelsea.

    He is also back to his exceptional defensive levels in 2020-21, averaging three interceptions per game – again the most in his Chelsea career – as well as three tackles, his highest figure under Lampard.

    The caveat is his passes in the final third have dropped by an average of six per game compared to last season and by nine compared to 2018-19, but the creative talent at Lampard's disposal means the burden of attacking is no longer on Kante's shoulders.

    HOJBJERG BATTLE AWAITS

    If Chelsea's form is based in part on the performances of Kante, Tottenham's strong start to the season is very much built on the work of Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg.

    Signed from Southampton for a reported £15million fee, the 25-year-old has established himself as Jose Mourinho's most important player behind the relentlessly brilliant Harry Kane and Son Heung-min.

    Through nine rounds of the 2020-21 Premier League campaign, Hojbjerg had managed more touches (809), attempted more passes (695) and completed more passes (619) than any other midfielder in the competition. He has also got stuck into 29 tackles, the third-highest number for midfielders this term and four more than Kante.

    Hojbjerg might not be a player of the Kante mold, but the two have had remarkably similar influences on their teams. Each has one assist in nine league starts, their passing accuracy practically matches (88.5 per cent for Kante, 89.1 for Hojbjerg), and they have made exactly the same number of recoveries (64).

    Effective as they are without the ball, so much of Chelsea and Spurs' good work with it also relies on these two.

    Kante has started 139 open-play sequences this season, eclipsing Hojbjerg (111), but that is about as big a difference as you will find.

    Of those sequences started by Kante, 13 have ended in a shot and two in a goal; for Hojbjerg, 11 have ended in a strike at goal and one has seen Spurs get on the scoresheet.

    Indeed, in terms of involvements in open-play build-up, Kante has managed 423, only slightly up on Hojbjerg's 415. Of those tallies, each player has seen 31 of those involvements end in a shot; when it comes to resulting in a goal, Hojbjerg edges Kante eight to three.

    On Sunday, the winner of the battle for midfield control between these two could well swing the match in his side's favour.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.