Aouar could play for Madrid 'one day' but Zidane focused on existing squad

By Sports Desk October 03, 2020

Reported Real Madrid target Houssem Aouar has the talent to one day play at the Santiago Bernabeu, but Zinedine Zidane has little interest speculating about the final days of the transfer window.

Lyon midfielder Aouar, who starred in their run to last season's Champions League semi-finals, has been linked with both Madrid and Arsenal.

The window closes on Monday, though, and Zidane - while acknowledging Aouar's talent - is looking forward to having the distraction of out the way.

"I don't know what information you have," Zidane responded at a news conference ahead of Madrid's trip to Levante. "I have no doubt about this player, he is a great player.

"Maybe one day he could play for Madrid, but today we have this squad and my concern is the players I have now. As of October 5, there will be no such questions."

Madrid are yet to make a single signing in this window, yet the focus in recent days has been on a man they let go.

Achraf Hakimi was allowed to join Inter after an impressive loan with Borussia Dortmund and rival right-backs Dani Carvajal and Alvaro Odriozola have both gone down injured in the past two days.

Carvajal has damaged the medial collateral ligament in his right knee and could reportedly face two months out, while back-up Odriozola then sustained a calf issue.

Zidane is now without a recognised option on that side of the defence but would not reflect differently on Hakimi's departure.

"These are things that can happen in a squad," he explained. "We have to count on other players. We can't look for excuses."

The pair join winger Eden Hazard on the injury list, Madrid's number seven suffering a muscle injury late last month as he sought to return to fitness after a tough first season in Spain.

Zidane is not concerned Hazard's repeated problems will mean he does not come back the same player, though.

"I am positive about everything, including Hazard," the coach said. "Plus this was a muscle injury from having worked hard to return.

"I don't like [injures], because I like having everyone available, but they are things that can happen. It just bothers me that players can't play."

Related items

  • Griezmann hopes for Messi Barca stay but knows 'it's out of our hands' Griezmann hopes for Messi Barca stay but knows 'it's out of our hands'

    Antoine Griezmann accepts Lionel Messi's future is "not in our hands" but hopes Barcelona's inspirational captain can be convinced to remain at Camp Nou.

    Messi was in typically brilliant form with a brace as Barca hammered Athletic Bilbao 4-0 to win the Copa del Rey on Saturday, the Blaugrana's first trophy under Ronald Koeman.

    Griezmann had started the rout with the opening goal on the hour, with Frenkie de Jong doubling Barca's lead.

    Messi's future at Los Cules, where he is the club's all-time leading goalscorer, remains the subject of debate with his contract up in June and Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain still rumoured to be interested in putting together a lucrative deal for the Argentina great.

    Newly-re-elected president Joan Laporta spoke of his hope that Messi, who tried to engineer a move before the start of the campaign, will stay put and Griezmann echoed those sentiments.

    "I think he's good here, we'll see what happens," Griezmann said in quotes reported by L'Equipe.

    "It is not in our hands.  It is he who will decide, but we are proud and happy of the have with us and hope he will stay."

    Griezmann joined Barca from Atletico Madrid in a big-money deal ahead of the 2019-2020 campaign. The Copa triumph represents the first trophy since he joined Barca but LaLiga success remains a realistic prospect, with only two points separating Koeman's third-placed side and leaders Atletico Madrid.

    "I am very happy and very proud," he added. "I have been in the Spanish league for 10 years and I had not won the Copa del Rey.

    "It's a relief, for the club and for me too, he said. There have been ups and downs since I arrived, sometimes negative comments, sometimes unfair, but it's like I have always worked and with the team we were focused on this game since we knew each other in the final."

  • Rumour Has It: Real Madrid reignite interest in Man City winger Sterling Rumour Has It: Real Madrid reignite interest in Man City winger Sterling

    Raheem Sterling has lost his place in the Manchester City starting line-up prompting fresh speculation.

    Phil Foden has taken Sterling's role with devastating effect, including scoring the winner in their midweek Champions League triumph over Borussia Dortmund.

    Sterling's contract talks have also been shelved for the season, fuelling the rumours.

     

    TOP STORY - REAL REIGNITE RAHEEM INTEREST

    Real Madrid have reignited their interest in Manchester City winger Raheem Sterling according to the Daily Star.

    Sterling is contracted with City for another two seasons, putting them in a strong position to hang on to the England international with a reported £80million price tag.

    But regular football and the lure of Madrid could be compelling for Sterling who joined City from Liverpool in 2015 for £44m.

     

    ROUND-UP

    -The Daily Star reports that Paul Pogba's agent Mino Raiola has informed Manchester United that he will only re-sign for a mammoth £500,000-a-week contract. Interested clubs Juventus, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain have also been informed of his wage demands.

    -Adama Traore will be offloaded by Wolverhampton as they seek to raise funds for their off-season recruitment reports Football Insider.

    -Mundo Deportivo claims that Tottenham are keen to sign Real Betis defender Emerson, having shown interest last off-season.

    -Manchester United are homing in on 18-year-old Metz midfielder Pape Sarr according to The Sun although they will face plenty of competition.

  • Koeman sets sights on LaLiga after securing maiden Barcelona title Koeman sets sights on LaLiga after securing maiden Barcelona title

    Ronald Koeman has revelled in his first title as Barcelona head coach but set his sights on clinching the LaLiga crown.

    Barcelona lifted the Copa del Rey with a 4-0 win over Athletic Bilbao in Saturday's final, marking the Dutchman's first title since taking over at Camp Nou in August.

    The Catalans lost the Supercopa final to Bilbao in January and exited the Champions League in the last-16 to Paris Saint-Germain.

    Barca are firmly in contention in the league, sitting third, two points behind leaders Atletico Madrid in a three-horse race with Real Madrid too.

    "To win a title is important for me," Koeman said. "Despite the changes at the club and the young players, at Barca you have to always fight for trophies.

    "We have the first one and now we are going to fight to the last game in La Liga."

    Saturday's victory was earned with four second-half goals, with Antoine Grizemann breaking the deadlock on the hour mark.

    Frenkie de Jong doubled their advantage on 63 minutes, before a Lionel Messi rounded out an emphatic win which Koeman said they deserved.

    "A result like this is not normal, but we deserved the cup," Koeman said.

    "It took us a bit to score, but we had chances. Our possession has been good and after 1-0 we have dominated the game with great football in every way."

    The 58-year-old former Netherlands coach also heaped praise on De Jong and Messi for their leading role.

    "De Jong and Messi are great players: Leo has been proving for so many years that he is the best in the world, he has returned to being effective, but we must also highlight Frenkie and the whole team," Koeman said.

    "We have been at an extraordinary level. We deserve this cup."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.