Tottenham confirm Carlos Vinicius loan deal

By Sports Desk October 02, 2020

Tottenham have confirmed the signing of Benfica forward Carlos Vinicius on a season-long loan deal.

Portuguese giants Benfica revealed earlier on Friday an agreement had been reached for the 25-year-old to join Spurs.

The Premier League club have now announced that Carlos Vinicius' switch to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium has been completed.

Tottenham have paid £2.7million (€3m) to take the Brazilian on loan for the 2020-21 campaign and have an option to make the move permanent for £41m (€45m), with the initial payment included in that sum.

Jose Mourinho's latest recruit was the joint-leading scorer in the Primeira Liga last season, with 18 goals from 32 matches, and he found the back of the net 22 times in 46 games in all competitions.

He will provide back-up for prolific captain Harry Kane as Spurs go in search of domestic and Europa League glory.

"I wanted to say to everyone that together we'll taste success," Carlos Vinicius said in a short video posted on Tottenham's Twitter account.

"I'm here to join this family to share your joy and bring home silverware."

Carlos Vinicius only joined Benfica from Serie A side Napoli last year and helped the club finish as runners-up to rivals Porto in the 2019-20 Primeira Liga season.

Related items

  • Aston Villa v Newcastle United postponed due to COVID-19 outbreak within Magpies squad Aston Villa v Newcastle United postponed due to COVID-19 outbreak within Magpies squad

    Aston Villa's clash with Newcastle United has become the first Premier League match this season to be postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak within one of the teams.

    Newcastle say there are "several" players and staff members self-isolating after returning positive tests in recent days.

    The club's training ground has been closed in an effort to contain the outbreak, which has hampered the squad's ability to train and prepare for Friday's game at Villa Park.

    Newcastle lodged a request with the Premier League to have the game moved, which was accepted on Tuesday.

    In a statement, the Premier League Board said it agreed that Newcastle were "unable to train and adequately and safely prepare for their match on Friday".

    The statement added: "The decision has been taken in consultation with Newcastle United and Aston Villa, and following extensive consultation with PHE [Public Health England] and Premier League medical advisors, with the health of players and staff the priority.

    "All players and training ground staff will be re-tested this week and another meeting between the club, PHE and the Premier League will take place to assess the test results.

    "The Premier League wishes those with COVID-19 a safe and speedy recovery and will rearrange the postponed fixture against Aston Villa in due course."

    Newcastle said: "The match, which was set to kick off at 8pm (GMT) on Friday evening, will now be rescheduled and a new date and time will be confirmed in due course. Newcastle United would like to thank Aston Villa Football Club for its understanding.

    "Newcastle United was one of the first clubs in the country to close its training ground prior to the first national lockdown in March and the club introduced comprehensive COVID-19 protocols in line with Premier League and government guidance to protect its players and staff ahead of Project Restart.

    "While the club has continued to ensure strict adherence to these protocols, and despite previously experiencing only a very small number of isolated COVID-19 cases, positive test results have risen sharply in recent days."

    Newcastle are 13th in the table, a point behind Aston Villa, who have played a game less.

  • John Terry gets Lampard backing amid Derby job links John Terry gets Lampard backing amid Derby job links

    Frank Lampard believes John Terry could be the ideal man to lift Derby County from the doldrums.

    Although Wayne Rooney is in interim charge at Pride Park, there is no guarantee the former Manchester United striker will become permanent manager of the Championship club.

    Now 39-year-old Terry, who is assistant manager at Aston Villa, is being linked with the job.

    It would be a first experience of being manager of a club for the former Chelsea and England captain, a team-mate of Lampard with club and country.

    But with Lampard having spent a year as Derby boss before being handed the Stamford Bridge top job, he sees it as an ideal club for Terry.

    "I think John is destined to be a manager. He is obviously working very well alongside Dean Smith over the last few years at Aston Villa, so would have been learning a lot," Lampard said.

    "But what John knows and his experiences in the game as a player will be huge, I know that from playing alongside him so long what he has to offer.

    "I think it is a great opportunity potentially for him if true and for Derby."

    Former England manager Steve McClaren has been helping out Rooney, but it remains to be seen if the club's owners wish to retain that partnership.

    Terry may be seen as a man with not only the passion but the right kind of coaching experience to step in and lift the club off the foot of the table.

    Speaking in a Chelsea news conference on Tuesday, Lampard added: "John will be a hungry, ambitious manager, whether it's Derby or whatever other opportunities come his way as he goes along.

    "I don't know anything [about the Derby link] but John is going to be a fantastic coach in my opinion."

  • Gilmour set to return with Lampard adamant Sevilla clash is no dead rubber Gilmour set to return with Lampard adamant Sevilla clash is no dead rubber

    Frank Lampard says Billy Gilmour is looking "spot on" and poised to get his first minutes of the season against Sevilla in the Champions League, a game which he insists has high stakes.

    Chelsea and Sevilla are already through to the last 16 with 10 points from their first four games ahead of Wednesday's match in Spain, which will determine top spot in Group E.

    But Lampard is not yet satisfied, with first place his target even if he makes a few changes to his team amid a busy fixture schedule.

    Victory would give Chelsea four straight Champions League wins and Lampard was in the Blues team the last time they did that in 2012, going on to win that year's competition.

    "Some people are knocking on the door and deserve opportunities, but even though we have qualified we want to win the group," said Lampard.

    "We are fully fit and ready to go. We are not taking it lightly, we want to win the group so I am certainly not expecting a drop in level.

    "It certainly isn’t a dead rubber. We want to win the group for different reasons. Generally winning the group is the beneficial pathway, though that isn't clear all the time. 

    "My feelings in football are, if you are going well and try and flick the switch off and then flick it back on again, it doesn't work that way."

    Midfielder Gilmour is in contention to make his first appearance of the season after a nasty knee injury kept him out since early July.

    Chelsea boss Lampard also wants to see a response from winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, who was left out of the squad for Sunday's Premier League 0-0 draw with Tottenham.

    Lampard said of 19-year-old Gilmour: "He is looking spot on and will come in to compete with the other players in that midfield area.

    "He is fit now and in the squad. It would be nice if he could get some minutes in the remaining two Champions League group games. Minutes are hard to get in COVID times.

    "I hopefully see him coming back at the level he was at before he got injured. He made a great impact and there will be so much more to come from him at this club because of the talent he has."

    On the decision to omit Hudson-Odoi for the Spurs game, Lampard said: "It was difficult. I have been really pleased with his training lately and his attitude is bang on at the moment - that was reflected with scoring and playing well against Rennes.

    "I have tough decisions when we have a fully fit squad to leave players that work hard - and who are desperate to play for the club - out.

    "I did speak to him personally because I wanted him to understand where he is at. It's a progression and he is getting better for me. He is back in contention and I want to see more of the same." 

    Sevilla have not topped a Champions League group since 2009, while Chelsea last did so in the 2015-16 campaign.

    The two teams drew 0-0 at Stamford Bridge in October, with Sevilla now unbeaten in their last seven meetings with English sides in major European competitions.

    Chelsea, meanwhile, have only won one of their last 10 games against Spanish opponents in the Champions League.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.