Foden, Greenwood ignored by England as Maguire returns and Calvert-Lewin gets first call-up

By Sports Desk October 01, 2020

Gareth Southgate has left Phil Foden and Mason Greenwood out of the latest England squad after they were sent home from international duty last month but Harry Maguire returns to the fold.

Greenwood, 19, and Phil Foden, 20, were removed from the Three Lions' squad prior to the game in Denmark last month after it emerged they had ignored coronavirus-prevention protocols in Iceland following England's 1-0 Nations League win, a game in which both players made their senior debuts.

An Icelandic website had published a story where Foden and Greenwood appeared to be shown in a Snapchat video posted by one of two women they were said to be socialising with – the country's self-isolation rules prohibited such a meeting.

As such, they have been left out by Southgate for the upcoming friendly with Wales and subsequent Nations League games against Belgium and Denmark, though the England manager did stress that from now on their call-up chances will be judged on form rather than past indiscretions.

But Manchester United's Maguire is back in the picture. The centre-back was dropped in August after initially being found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest, and repeated attempts at bribery at a misdemeanours court in Greece.

However, Maguire's legal representatives lodged an appeal, meaning the court's initial verdict was nullified and a full retrial will now take place at a more senior court. The defender has since been back in action domestically for the Red Devils.

Greenwood's absence has provided an opportunity for in-form Everton striker Calvert-Lewin, who is enjoying a scintillating start to the 2020-21 season, scoring eight goals in five matches.

Included in that record is a pair of hat-tricks, scored in the 5-2 Premier League win over West Brom and Wednesday's 4-1 EFL Cup dismantling of West Ham.

There are also maiden call-ups for Arsenal talent Bukayo Saka and Leicester City's Harvey Barnes, while Jack Grealish is also named - the Aston Villa star was only included last month as a late replacement for Marcus Rashford.


England squad in full:

Dean Henderson (Manchester United), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Nick Pope (Burnley); Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Chelsea), Conor Coady (Wolves), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Ainsley Maitland-Niles (Arsenal), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Kieran Trippier (Atletico Madrid), Kyle Walker (Manchester City); Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Mason Mount (Chelsea), Kalvin Phillips (Leeds United), Declan Rice (West Ham), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton), Harry Winks (Tottenham); Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Harvey Barnes (Leicester City), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Danny Ings (Southampton), Harry Kane (Tottenham), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Related items

  • Isco wants to try another league – agent Isco wants to try another league – agent

    Isco wants an exit from Real Madrid and LaLiga, according to his agent.

    The 28-year-old, who is contracted at Madrid until 2022, has struggled for game time, making just three league starts so far this season.

    Everton, Arsenal and Manchester City have been linked with the 38-time Spain international, who has been at Madrid since 2013.

    His agent and father, Francisco Alarcon, said Isco was seeking a move, but would have no problems staying at Madrid.

    "Right now, we have no offers, but Isco wants to try another league," he told Cadena SER on Monday.

    He added: "Staying in Madrid would not be a problem."

    Isco has won two LaLiga titles and four Champions Leagues among numerous other trophies since joining Madrid from Malaga.

    However, he last made at least 20 league starts in a single campaign in 2017-18.

  • Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo Ronaldo doesn't receive special treatment at Juventus, says Pirlo

    Juventus coach Andrea Pirlo insisted Cristiano Ronaldo does not receive any special treatment at the Serie A giants.

    Ronaldo has made a fine start to the season for Juve, scoring eight goals in his first six games.

    His brace guided Juve past Cagliari 2-0 on Saturday, and Ronaldo has scored 29 of Juve's 59 Serie A goals in 2020.

    Ahead of Tuesday's Champions League clash against Ferencvaros, Pirlo discussed Ronaldo – and said the five-time Ballon d'Or winner was treated like any other player.

    "I haven't challenged [Ronaldo] on set-pieces yet. I treat him like I treat all the other players. I'm always available on and off the pitch," he told a news conference.

    "It's easy to have a good relationship between humble people. I'm like that.

    "I behave with him – a champion – like I do with [Gianluca] Frabotta or [Manolo] Portanova, who are two young players.

    "I do the same things I was used to doing when I was a player."

    All eight of Ronaldo's Serie A goals this season have come from inside the box, while he has converted 75 per cent of his big chances.

    Ahead of hosting Ferencvaros, Juventus are second in Group G, three points adrift of Barcelona.

  • I haven't been at my best – Griezmann I haven't been at my best – Griezmann

    Antoine Griezmann admitted he was yet to get to his best at Barcelona and said he needed more time.

    Griezmann has struggled to make his mark at Barca since arriving from Atletico Madrid for €120million last year.

    The forward has scored just 17 goals in 58 games in all competitions for the LaLiga giants, who are struggling in 13th in the table.

    Griezmann said he was prepared to accept criticism of his performances, but highlighted it had been a difficult period for the club.

    "I accept them because I know that we are not seeing the best Griezmann," he told Movistar on Monday.

    He added: "In a year and a half I have had three coaches ... that's not easy. I need time to adapt to my colleagues and they to me, and on top of system changes.

    "In addition, the candidates for the presidency also talk about me. I don't think it's the best thing for me for them to talk about whether or not I'm a good signing."

    Griezmann has scored two goals and provided one assist in eight LaLiga games so far this season.

    His big chance conversion (50 per cent) is at its highest since 2017-18, when it was 59.3 per cent and he netted 19 league goals for Atletico Madrid.

    However, his involvement at Barca compared to Atletico is down. Only once during five seasons at Atletico – in 2014-15 – did he have fewer successful passes per 90 minutes than so far this season (28.4). His 43.4 touches per 90 this campaign are lower than he had in any of his seasons at Atletico.

    Griezmann has also created just 0.7 chances per 90 minutes in LaLiga in 2020-21, and not once did he have a lower figure at Atletico.

    Coming off a 1-0 loss to Atletico, Barcelona visit Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League on Tuesday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.